12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 12:30 PM by Roei Tzoref Branched to a new discussion.

Continuous Rasterization is not working.

Jamie Couperwhite

The Continuous rasterization feature doesnt work as I zoom in my vector graphic pixelates even when I have the "Continuously rasterize" button clicked on. Anyone know what the problem might be?

• 1. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What kind of vector graphic are you using? Is the layer based on an Illustrator footage item? SWF?

• 2. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Anyone know what the problem might be?

The alleged vector graphic is no vector graphic at all. You know, AI files, PDFs and SWFs can all contain conventional bitmap graphics.... Additionally, certain features applied to vector graphics enforce rasterization even in a vector program. E.g. applying a blur or glow in Illustrator still operates on pixels, effectively flattening and rasterizing vector art, and is dependent on the document raster effects resolution. Similar things can apply to using blending modes, clipping masks and whatnot. In so many words: Vector file format != (not equal) eternal sharpness. Please check your file for the things I mentioned and adjust accordingly, if possible.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
              Jamie Couperwhite Level 1

That still doesnt help any. Even when I create a shape or text with the After Effects tools it still pixelates as I zoom in...

I have attached a image to show that when its zoomed at 200% it is pixelated even with the "Continuously Rasterize"

• 4. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

from the "Zoom" section of AFter Effects Help:

"Note: After Effects renders vector objects before zooming (scaling for preview), so some vector objects may appear jagged when you zoom in on them. This apparent pixelation for zooms does not affect scaling of layers or rendering to final output."

I thought that you were seeing pixelation when you were scaling (transforming) the vector layer, and that would be a problem. Zooming in a view is different. What you're seeing is normal and is not a problem.

• 5. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                  Jamie Couperwhite Level 1

Ahhh I am new to using After Effects (obviously) and I thought that Zoom would work in the same way as Illustrator.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the pointless post.

• 6. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                    sucrammarcus

Hi,

hopefully this isn't a closed case.... i'm trying to find a solution to this exact problem. except that my images are drastically loosing quality when i scale up or down from the original size. i created a fully vector based image in illustrator CS4, bought it into after effects CS4 into a DV PAL widescreen comp, and it looks fine at first glance but as soon as i alter the scale its quality drops and even when i return it to the original size it seems to have lost all hope of being sharp. ( i thought it might be a viewing setting so i  rendered it out full res as an animation uncompressed....but no...still low qual.)

i am pretty convinced its not an import setting because i bought the illustrator file into photoshop CS4 onto an A4 page in print settings at 300DPI and it was great, nice and sharp-but i then created a DV PAL widescreen comp still in photoshop, dragged and dropped it in and the same thing....fine until i alter it at all. i also tried to create a DV PAL comp with 300 DPI but no change.

(this is a huge problem for me as i need to work with one image and move in and out to highlight detailed parts of the work)

if anyone can shed any light on this problem it would be great-its doing my head in trying to find a solution!!

Thanks,

• 7. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

sucrammarcus,

If you read the thread, you'd see that there wasn't any problem at all---just a misunderstanding of how After Effects works.

Are you using the Continuously Rasterize switch?

• 8. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                        sucrammarcus Level 1

no i wasn't.... and now that i know to use it, it seems the 'problem' (the problem being me) is solved.

Thank you kindly!! legend!!

• 9. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                          olinac36654546 Level 1

Hi all,
                          I never had this problem until now I have the newest CC 2017 of AE and Animate. It's frustrating. I also cannot find a place to export AI file from my Animate. I was trying to export SVG, but no way in AE CC 2017 to import it. Any solution, please?

Thank you in advance.

• 10. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

this question seems unrelated to this thread. you should post it in a new discussion so that users can find it and help you. provide as much information as you can (what do you plan to do with the file? is it a single frame?) I will wait for you

• 11. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                              olinac36654546 Level 1

Hi Roei,

Thank you for your reply. It forces me to re-collect the info to write a completed question. Then I just noticed that I even don't know how to post a new thread on this forum... Orz

However, during my writing, I found a video:After Effects Top Tip: Understanding Continuously Rasterize and Collapse Transformations - YouTube
                              Which shows my problem. I didn't turn on the "Continuously Rasterize switch" for the swf layers. I turned them on, made the Fast Preview >Off (Final Quality) and then they were all fine. The render result is not blurry either.

However, I am confused why I didn't have this problem before. Were the switch automatically on as long as you drag in swf into the comp? I re-read the link which Todd_Kopriva provided above: "if you want to scale a layer that contains vector graphics above 100%...". Maybe I never scale them up before? Maybe...

Anyway, I would like to leave this footprint here in case other people has similar issue like mine.

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Continuous Rasterization is not working.
                                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                                made the Fast Preview >Off (Final Quality) and then they were all fine.

fast preview->off makes sure that even while scrubbing, you will see the final quality. this is instead of the default "adaptive resolution" which favors a decent playback over quality. this is just for preview purposes. if you set your composition resolution to "Full" and 100% magnification - you will see your composition in top shape. the render result is not related to the preview in terms of quality i.e you don't have to preview full quality to render full quality.

more about preview here: Preview without rendering in After Effects

Were the switch automatically on as long as you drag in swf into the comp?

it's not on by default. you have to click the sunburst icon in the layer to activate continuously rasterize for that layer

Then I just noticed that I even don't know how to post a new thread on this forum...

you do it here: After Effects and at the bottom you click here:

1 person found this helpful