2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 6:08 PM by Elmer B. Fuddled

Imported photoshop (ASE) palettes incorrect

Elmer B. Fuddled Level 1

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with importing Ps RGB CS4 colour swatches into Ai CS4 which I hope someone will be able to help me with.  I've finally managed to sort out that I need to convert ACO to ASE (the easy part !!) and then import and add them to the "Base RGB" file. The problem I have is that once imported and opened in Illustrator the palette swatches bear (nearly) no resemblance to the original ACO swatches. One set of colours have even transferred as "white". The attached two images will explain more than any number of words I could type. Please note that the "magic pink" are only there to split the colour swatches into their original ACO groupings.

Ps Swatch.jpgAi Swatch.jpgAs you can see no resemblance to each other at all really. Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong, other than manually importing each colour manually, I'm at a loss !!

TIA

Elmer B. Fuddled

• 1. Re: Imported photoshop (ASE) palettes incorrect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Are all the swatches named uniquely? Do you create and load them in RGB mode? Using different color modes may skew colors due to gamut issues... Short of that I really have no clue. By all means, the ASE format should be neutral, or else things like Kuler wouldn't make much sense, would they?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Imported photoshop (ASE) palettes incorrect
            Elmer B. Fuddled Level 1

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou Mylenium,

You spotted my fatal flaw, although (nearly) all of the colour are unique RGB values, several have the same "name".  In fact the block of white swatches are all called "Grunge"after their origin. Other mismatched colours from the .ACO file once transferred to .ASE also show the same failng after close examination.  Now I need to think up some fancy names !! (or just use their RGB value as a name).

Once again many Thanks.

Elmer B. Fuddled