4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 5:21 PM by the_wine_snob

PRE 7 won't start PART 2 or it's over

gedash99 Level 1

The past week I posted an assortment of problems with PRE 7, most noticeably the file conversion and playback. I received many well meant suggestions and advice and sadly none seemed to work. Over the weekend I uninstalled Pre 7 for the 6, 7th 0r 8th time, lost count. With advice from the forum I read the articles and tips and implemented all that I could. I called Dell and made sure all my drivers were up to date, and downloaded the latest Divx codec drivers.

In regedit I made sure all traces of PRE 7 were removed. Note; apparently PRE 7 would prefer to work with DV avi files for best results, yeah and I’d like to hit the lottery too. Along with it starts up with this silly and useless splash screen and asks if it a new project...  then when the app loads you still have to load the project.  What a waste of time, borrowed that line from another post. PRE 7 seems more concerned with how it looks than how it functions. That being said when I reinstalled PRE 7; it didn’t even have the decency to finish it stalled when it got to (Pan and Zoom mb png ) file. Using task manger to cancel installation and a reboot I reinstalled with positive results. I am running WonderShare Video Converter for conversions and works well in all other programs. Starting PRE 7 is always nail biting adventure not knowing what it will do and as long as you just look around and do nothing it works great. Start a new project and it locks, dies, takes a crap, fouls out, you can cancel the program and retain the desktop icon, that’s about it.

I am uninstalling PRE 7 and will wait for Windows 7 and will try again after things settle down.

In the mean time Quick Time Pro, WonderShare and DivX Converter work fantastic. I notice the release of PRE 8 with more bells and whistles but did not notice any enhancements or adjustments to file conversions this should make for additional program start up time.

Bottom Line: I’m a retired Operating Engineer, heavy equipment, who now travels the country and photographs trains and from time to time a few get published. My newest DSLR shoots HD Video so I get PRE 7 wanting only to do some light editing just didn’t work out. I say all this as I’m just some guy who likes to take photos and videos, not a Rhodes Scholar, MIT graduate or computer software programmer, designer, architect.  I’m trying to be judicial here as it would be easy to lower the boom on PRE 7.

One weekend devoted to making PRE 7 run………………………………………………………..

Alan, a grafton

• 1. Re: PRE 7 won't start PART 2 or it's over
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

These are all valid complaints, Alan -- except one.

>Note; apparently PRE 7 would prefer to work with DV avi files for best results, yeah and I’d like to hit the lottery too.

It's not really fair to ask the program to do what is beyond its capabilities -- and expecting it to edit native Divx is a little like pouring kerosene into your gas tank and then blaming Ford because your car won't run right.

Premiere Elements is a DV-AVI editor with capabilities for handling HDV and AVCHD files. Everything else it edits, it edits as hybrid file. Properly tuned and with regular rendering, it does a decent job with MPEGs and VOBs. But Divx files are a whole other animal. And it's not really fair to judge the programs performance based on the fact that it chokes on them.

Otherwise, using a DV-AVI workflow, feel free to rip the program to pieces! It does have its share of liabilities. But, in the proper context, it's advanatages far, far outweigh them.

• 2. Re: PRE 7 won't start PART 2 or it's over
            gedash99 Level 1

Thank you for the response I stand corrected. I am sure you can appreciate I have processed a lot of information in a short period of time, trying to understand, evaluate and interpret meanings. I’m sure I inadvertently made mistakes in my understandings as a learning curve that intense takes a lot longer than I gave it but hey I am old guy who loves taking photos of train and PSE 7 works great for that.

I have kept all the notes and suggestions and will work at my pace and you will hear from me again down the road.

Alan, a grafton

• 3. Re: PRE 7 won't start PART 2 or it's over
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad to have you aboard the forum, Alan. Let us know you've got any questions.

BTW, what's a Grafton?

• 4. Re: PRE 7 won't start PART 2 or it's over
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I am old guy who loves taking photos of train and PSE 7 works great for that.

Now, if O. Winston Link had just had PrE!

Good luck with PrE. It's really a good little program and is very powerful.

Hunt