12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 8:54 PM by mahes111

HP Z400s under spec for HD editing in CS4. What's the best way forward?

James Mcherosn

Hi all,

I recently purchased three HP Z400 workstations for editing XDCAM EX 1080i (HQ) timelines in Premiere CS4. It was an extremely rushed and ill-informed purchase. Unfortunately I only came across the Adobe forum after I ran into trouble with Workstations 1 and 2. After reading many helpful posts it is patently obvious that two of my brand new machines don't have the capacity to stably edit full HD 1080i timelines.

Before I describe my issues I'll outline the specs of my systems:

Z400 Workstation 1

Windows XP 32bit
      Xeon W3505
      3gb RAM
      GPU: Quadro FX 1800
      C: 500gb OS/Programs
      D: 2x500gb Raid 0 Scratch

Z400 Workstation 2

Windows XP 32bit
      Xeon W3520
      3gb RAM
      GPU: Quadro FX 3800

Z400 Workstation 3 (This machine has been working well and has not had any stability issues)

Windows Vista 64bit
      Xeon W3540
      8gb RAM
      GPU: Quadro FX 3800

Whilst I have been able to edit XDCAM EX 1080i HQ clips on all of these systems, Workstations 1 and 2 are very unstable, crashing regularly, particularly when rendering.

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology, so having read through the many excellent posts here, I'm still not entirely sure what's the best way forward for me to bring Workstations 1 and 2 up to scratch. What is clear from reading these posts is that I've over capitalised on GPU cards, underestimated the importance of RAM and made a fundamental error with my choice of OS:

•    In the community's mind - are the specs for Workstation 3 sufficient for stable HD editing?
      •    What is the best way forward with Workstations 1 and 2? From reading the threads I assume I have to upgrade the OS to Vista 64 bit and upgrade to at least 6gb of RAM - would this be adequate? If not, what would you suggest? Also, are the existing processors (w3505 and w3520) meaty enough for the job? 
      •    And this might be taking liberties... of all the widely discussed topics on this forum; I struggle to get my head around storage. What's the best setup I achieve using my current equipment (z400 motherboard) for HD editing (including adding additional drives)?

Many thanks in advance... I'm not much of a techie so any words of wisdom are like gold dust.

Cheers,

James