18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 2:53 PM by mike4smg

Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!

mike4smg

I successfully downloaded the trial version of this product with a view to purchasing at a later stage.

The installation was going well until right at the last minute, when the installation decided to uninstall itself.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I am running Windows Vista Home Edition and have recently installed the latest SP2......just wondering whether this has caused the problem

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Go to Windows Update manually and ensure you have all of the latest updates. Also, go to Apple.com and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

You may also want to ensure your hard drive is defragmented.

Then try installing again.

Without knowing a lot about your computer, it's hard to make a lot of recommendations. But regular maintenance and updating, particularly with Vista, is very important as well as adequate hardware and free hard drive space.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mike4smq

What browser are you using for the Premiere Elements 8 download from Adobe? Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer (what version?), other.

Mozilla Firefox will not give me a successful download of this software, whereas Internet Explorer (version 6) will. You could try the download from another browser.

Even when I was using Internet Explorer, I had a rough time downloading Photoshop Elements 8. The download kept coming with the name Premiere Elements, instead of Photoshop Elements. I believe that problem was on Adobe's end, since I kept retrying the download every so often, and the problems cleared in the early hours of the morning.

Since I have successfully downloaded Premiere Elements 8, I have had a few odd things going on with my computer, Windows XP Professional SP3. Premiere Elements 8 still does not import .flv. There is a plugin for accomplishing this that works for Premiere Elements 3 and 4, but not 7. I have downloaded and used it and subsequently uninstalled it, no problem. So now I decide to download it to try it on Premiere Elements 8. It will obsolutely not install. It keeps telling me that I do not have any version of Premiere or Premiere Elements installed on my computer. I do have, Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, as well as 8. Of course, not all opened at the same time. So now I have to figure out why the plugin could be installed with 2, 4, and 7, but not 2, 4, 7, and 8....need to pin down cause and effect.

ATR

Windows XP SP3

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
              mike4smg Level 1

Thanks for your replies to my recent post. Unfortunately, all my system is up-to-date and I have downloaded the product both through IE and Firefox.

Gave it one last try tonight, thought it got a little further, then the same message appeared stating that it was "rolling back" the previous action that it had performed and the final message that I wasleft with on screen I have attached for you all to view. Don't know whether this helps or not, but cheers anyway.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I assume that you have all anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spyware sweepers turned off during the installation. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike4smg

In what you have done so far, do you actually have the Premiere Elements 8 Folder completed downloaded on your computer? I suspect that you do. If so, go to that folder, open it, and look for the file that is named "setup.exe". Click on that and see if you can get the program installed from there. Have you been there, done that?

A word of caution. You can try for another possibly clean download, but, once you install the program, that is when the tryout begins and you do not get another chance even if you use 30 sec or 30 days of the tryout.

From the message, it looks like nothing was installed on your computer yet.

Another possibility that is rattling around in my head is maybe some of the zipped content did not all get unzipped. If it gets to that, what about taking the folder into a program such as WinZip?

Just some thoughts for now. Please clarify for me status of download vs status of installation.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                    mike4smg Level 1

Just tried what you suggested and still no joy, grrrr!!!!!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                      mike4smg Level 1

Yeah, tried that method just now and still no joy......

I'll download another copy later on today and try and get a screen dump again at various stages but won't start the install until I get clarification from yourself as to the best possible method.

For now, though, I'm deleting everything on my system relating to this particular product.

I've never experienced problems like this before. All I wanna do is trial the product.....I might not like it but can't get to that stage yet.....Aggghhhhh, it's sooooo annoying!!!!!!

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I highly recommend you contact Adobe and let them know of your frustration.

If enough people complain about similar problems, they'll be forced to address these issues with an update.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Let us see how you do with today's download from Adobe.

I had no problems downloading and installing Premiere Elements 8, but had a terrible time downloading Photoshop Elements 8. I would click on the Photoshop Elements 8 download button at Adobe, and it kept downloading Premiere Elements 8...even after repeated tries and re-tries. In was not until the early hours of that morning (before dawn), when pressing the Photoshop Elements 8 button for the download got me the Photoshop Elements 8 file. Bottom line: Adobe does have its problems with these downloads when they first make them available.

After you hit the Premiere Elements 8 download button, do you see an orange bar across the top of the Window with a message about the installer?

And, when the download dialog does appear, there should be two files, a small and a large one. Wait for completion of both before you hit "Launch".

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                            mike4smg Level 1

OK...................

As far as I can see, I have got a full download.

I've attached various screenshots for you to view but have had to incorporate them in a document format 'cos I can't upload more than 3 images at a time on this forum (just hope you can open it)...... Now, I've not seen my desktop look like this from previous download attempts 'cos I have previously created a seperate folder on the desktop to store the downloaded files. So this time, I thought, "what the hell" just save it to the desktop outside a folder just in case I was missing anything, but now,  I'm not too sure whether to launch the install from point 1, 2 or 3 as highlighted by the arrows.

The plot thickens!!!!!!!!

Any ideas?

Regards

Mike

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                              mike4smg Level 1

Sorry, system wouldn't allow me to upload those images for some unknown reason..... The important view is of my desktop when the download completed I guess so the same question arises..."where do I go from here.....point 1, 2 or 3?"

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mike4smg

I am not sure of all your details sequence-wise, but, after you saw 100% for those two download files, you should hit launch and follow the computer instructions.

If you are beyond that (that is, have hit Launch OR have have hit Exit on the Download dialog, and find yourself with the Premiere Elements 8 Folder on your Desktop, then seek out the Setup.exe file in the Premiere Elements 8 Folder that you have on your Desktop. Clicking on that .exe should start by asking you to designate a language. If there was any problem in the download/launch unzipping some of the download content, you may have to use WinZip to do some unzipping.

Proceed with caution. It is my understanding that once it is installed then the tryout begins.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                  JohnandPearl Level 1

I've also been trying to download the trial Elements 8. I've been trying to use Elements 6 but though the program installs it just does not run. I get a brief activity signal, then nothing and there is nothing showing on Task manager. Which is why I thought I'd try the latest version instead. I'm using an Acer 5535, with 4gb of ram and 320gb hard drive and almost nothing else loaded. Running on Vista Home Premium with service pack 2.

The problem now is that since starting the download all I have is the 'Your Adobe Download is starting' screen with a progress bar regularly travelling across the bottom, flashing from 'Waiting for www.adobe.com...' to 'wating for trials.adobe.com..' and 'transferring data from trials.adobe.com...', it all sounds hopeful but this has been running for 2.5 hours, on a broadband connection! Moreover, whatever is happening seems suspiciously regular, never a longer transfer, none long enough for me to read the details easily. I filmed them and then watched in slow mow to get the details.

So, my question is, is the download actually happening and if it is, what are the chances of Elements 8 running when Elements 6 will not?

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                    -Subbi Adobe Employee

Hello Mike,

Is it possible for you to attach/upload the installer log file (Pre8.log) from the 'temp' folder of your system.
                                    In the run command you can just type %temp% and you would be taken to this location where the Pre8.log should be present.
                                    This file when analysed may point to the exact installation problem on your system

EM.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                      mike4smg Level 1

Please find attached file as requested.

Please note that I have recently downloaded another copy of Pre8 but have not attempted to install it yet.

Mike

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                        mike4smg Level 1

Wont let me do that. Have tried but message replies that i don't have the authority to view the file or words to that effect.

Have also tried replying direct to the email as it suggested but the email bounced back at me within 4 mins of sending it.

Any suggestions??????

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Trial Version - Major Headache HELP NEEDED!!!!
                                          -Subbi Adobe Employee

You should be able to attach a .txt file, that should not create an issue. Strange !

EM