0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 8:13 AM by stmay

Sporadic Adobe Reader 9 GPO install problems

stmay

Hello everyone,

I've been working on this issue for quite a while now and haven't been able to come up with any solutions.  I've been pushing out Adobe Reader 9.1 to a couple hundred workstations in our company through a group policy.  We were previously at version 8.  It seems like the installtion works fine on all of the clients, but they start having strange issues at random times.  Reader may work fine for a couple days or weeks and then all of a sudden the users get a message about Intenet Explorer not allowing the PDF to open through the browser because of security restrictions.  I initially thought this was a problem with file associations, but then I noticed that if the user tries to open Adobe Reader from the start menu, it attempts to reinstall the application.  I know this is not a IE security problem, because we were previously working find on version 8.

I found that downloading and reinstalling the 9.1 setup from Adobe's website seemed to fix the problems.  PDF's opened correctly from the browser after the reinstall.  At first this seemed to only be happening to a couple users here and there, but over time the amount of affected users has increased drastically.

In the last couple days, I've realized that even the reinstall doesn't seem to be fixing the issue.  I've had one user in particular that I've reinstalled three times in the last week.  After the reinstall everything is fine, but by the next day Adobe Reader isn't working any more.

I've checked the event logs and can't find anything that looks like it would help.  I really need to figure this out.  I had to stop my roll out halfway though because of the issues we were having and I need to upgrade to version 9.1 to support a new application that my company wants to use.

Any help would be appreciated!