8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 9:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Beginner Help best tutorials

Tom Berquist

Dear Premier Users:

I have just acquired premier 7 and will be using it to create dvd memoirs for hospice patients and I need to quickly get up to speed on how the program works. Does anyone know of the best (hopefully free or inexpensive tutorials) that are really good?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Tom

• 1. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you've logged into Photoshop.com (free with Premiere Elements) you'll find a number of tutorials in the Inspiration Browser, available by clicking on one of the little yellow messages that appears along the lower right corner of your program as you work.

For lots of free tutorials and tips -- plus stock footage, sound effects, music and DVD menu templates (and a very friendly forum) -- try http://Muvipix.com. There's lots of basic complimentary material, plus lots more if you buy an annual membership.

And, of course, I have to plug my books, available on the Muvipix products page or from Amazon.com.

"The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 7" and

"The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7"

They're both easy to follow, and they'll teach you practically everything you'll need to know about the ins and outs of the programs.

• 2. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I strongly second Steve's recommendation for both Muvipix (their articles and tutorials, plus the additional Functional Content will pay for a subscription) and his PrElements 7 book. I'd second the other book, probably, but do not use PSE, and have not seen that book. Still, if it's like Steve's other books, it would be great too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
              Tom Berquist Level 1

Hunt: Thanks but I dont find video tutorials on Muvipix only Steve's books

which may be excellent, but . I dont have time to read and learn best by

seeing .  Are you aware of tutorials?

Tom

• 4. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You give up too easily, Tom! The tutorials on the Muvipix site are under the "Tutorials" link. Here are a batch of free ones.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

The Adobe site also includes lots of tutorials.

http://tv.adobe.com/#pd+Premiere%20Elements

There are tutorials also on Lynda.com, http://www.tutorialized.com and on the Adobe Inspiration Browser which, as I said, can be accessed from within the program by selecting it from the Help drop-down menu.

All you've got to do is figure out what you want to learn!

• 5. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
                  nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

If you've logged into Photoshop.com (free with Premiere Elements)

Irritatingly not available to us UK customers. Indeed the software sold in the UK does not even show the opening screen Photoshop info. Grrrr.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
                    Tom Berquist Level 1

Steve: Thanks again. Yes I can get impatient. I was able to view a list of

the random sort of mini-tuorials on the Inspiration Browser, but I never get

any little yellow germaine boxes as I work which is why your tip eluded me.

Now, I did look at a few of those short free tutorials on Muvipix and they

were of course very  random, cursory and short. When I try and get a feel

for the other subscriber tutorials I still cant determine how long and

detailed they are for someone like me to get a very broad how to beginner

walk around the entire program and system in a video tutorial.

Can you advise a beginner as to whether or not these subscription tutorials

would start from scratch and be able to teach me all the basics?

Relatedly would the $29 subscription enable me to use all these tutorials

and for how long?

Appreciate your patience Steve,

Tom

• 7. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The tutorials on Muvipix are often done segmentally, i.e. Track Matte Keying, beginning with Keyframing 1, Keyframing 2, etc., and then the introduction of Track Matte Keying and using the Keyframeing tips as the foundation.

Some are just a single tutorial, with not additions to it. While I have not reviewed all tutorials on Muvipix, I find that they do usually start with the basics, and work up. Now, sometimes those "basics" might be in another tutorial, with a different name. With the full subscription, they are ALL accessible, as is the additional Functional Content, i.e. original music scores, stock motion footage, Menus, Titles, etc. In one day of downloading, one will have more than paid for the subscription.

Once one has gotten "friendly" with PrElements, and they know their way around the program, I highly recommend some of the PrPro tutorials. One does have to interpolate because of program differences (usually user interface differences), but the general concepts are still there. John T. Smith, a regular contributor has published a list of good tutorials (mostly for PrPro), and I'll see if I can find it. I would NOT recommend these, until one has worked through most of the PrE tutorials, as they are likely to get lost in those program interface and terminology differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - Steve's books will get one up to speed in a hurry. One good read of it, and all of the tutorials will start to fall into place.

• 8. Re: Beginner Help best tutorials
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Besides the pure tutorials, I also recommend the Tips & Tricks sub-forum here. It's filled with articles on how to do many things, plus informative articles on many things Video. Most are written articles, so they're more for reading, but they offer a wealth of info. One day with a printer hooked up, and a box of paper, and one will have reading for a week.

Good luck,

Hunt