2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 10:07 AM by iBabs2

Step, repeat and move an object, but not with % values ..rather real numbers

iBabs2 Level 1

Hello,

I have an object that I want to make a few copies of and get bigger by 1.5 mm each time.

Normally, I would use the distort and transform feature to make an array of objects like this and then expand the appearance, but I can only scale in % not values using that dialog box. Is there a way to do this using an actual number like adding the 1.5 mm to each object?

Even the regular scale transform options only allow % values.

thanks!

babs

• 1. Re: Step, repeat and move an object, but not with % values ..rather real numbers
          JETalmage Level 6

Use a Blend. Example:

Assume I have a rectangle with height of 1". I need a set of six rectangles (including the original), each increasing in height by .25".

1. Multiply the number of desired additional steps by the desired increment. (5 x .25" = 2.25".

2. Transform Palette (or Control Panel): Set the height of the copy to 2.25".

3. Select both. Object>Blend>Make.

4. Blend Options: Specified Steps: Enter desired total minus 2 (4 intermediate steps).

5. Expand the Blend. I now have a Group of 6 rectangles with heights 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", 2", 2.25".

If the object in question is more elaborate, convert it to a Symbol. Then perform the above on two Instances of the Symbol. (Remember to use the proportional chainlink between the height and width fields if you want the objects to "grow" proportionally.

JET

• 2. Re: Step, repeat and move an object, but not with % values ..rather real numbers
            iBabs2 Level 1

Hi Jet!

Perfect!!! Yes, it was a few objects as a group, so I did have to make the symbol...but that worked ;-)

thanks so much!

babs