17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 9:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash

mikece Level 1

I haven't used Premiere Elements 3.0.2 in a few months, but now I want to export something I was working on as a Quicktime movie. However, whenever I choose the "Quicktime" option from the Export menu, the entire program just closes without any error message.

If I select export as a MPEG or DVD or Flash or any other option, the program works fine. But, I really need to export as a Quicktime and can't figure out why the program shuts down. I have the latest Quicktime (7.6.4) and I tried re-installing Elements, but still the program shuts down.

Anybody have any ideas? Suggestions?

I'm using Windows XP with SP3. The program works fine except for this one problem.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
          A.T. Romano Level 7

What is the source, video and audio codecs, and duration of this "Quicktime Movie" that you have created and want to export in Premiere Elements 3.0.2 as a Quicktime export? Further, what are the Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export settings that you are using for this export that crashes? Any error message?

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
            mikece Level 1

1. I can't even get to the Quicktime Export settings because the Quicktime Export menu doesn't even load. Elements crashes before the menu loads. So, I don't think the codec settings even matter.

2. As I said in my first message, I am not getting any error messages. The program just shuts down.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There's unfortunately a lof of this going around, Mike. I think Apple has distributed another screwed up Quicktime update.

I know that's no consolation, since it still doesn't get your project done though.

One option is to export your video project as a DV-AVI and then use the free video converter Prism to create your MOV.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                mikece Level 1

Actually, hearing that a lot of people are having the same problem is a comforting answer. I thought it might be a QT update problem.

I'll look into that converter thing. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Could you please supply the source of your information that "there is a lot of that going around"?

The user is using an older version Premiere ELements 3.0.2 and the most recent update of Quicktime. So it is very tempting to suggest that Quicktime update is the cause of the issue presented. I have the latest version of Quicktime installed on my Windows XP SP3 computer. I can take a Premiere Elements 7 Timeline with an AVI MPEG4 video, export it with the program's Quicktime basic export (Cable Modem/H.264, default) and save it to my computer hard drive. I can successfully import that .mov into Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7 and 8 without problems. However, before you can start working with the video on the Timeline, you have to wait for a conforming process to occur (whose progress you can follow at the bottom right of the window).

File conversion is an often needed workaround for many situations. But other avenues of troubleshooting should be explored before workaround. Maybe the user will find the workaround easier than troubleshooting the issue to conclusion. But in this case, I would suggest that the workaround may result in unexpected side effects. Every time I have used Prism for file conversion it messed up my Premiere Elements operation and had to resort to System Restores to get back to "normal" with Premiere Elements. I do not know if there is a lot of that going around, but that is my experience with Prism.

I would really like to know more about the user's Timeline and computer environment.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mikece

Please take a look at the comments that I have posted for Steve Grisetti.

I have this additional question for you. You say that you need to export this project that you have been working on as a Quicktime movie. Can you open a new project and put anything (DV AVI or other formats) on the Timeline that will export to Quicktime without crashing the computer?

In other words, is the problem that you are presenting specific to the present Timeline in your Premiere Elements 3.0.2 project prel.

If and when a workaround (file conversion) is the only way, then I would like to know more about your Timeline before suggesting a conversion program. Prism would not be on my list.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash

I guess I was speaking anecdotally, Tony -- because I had the same problem exporting to Quicktime! And I virtually never have problems running the software.

It could just as well be a Windows update I guess. Or it could just be a coincidence.

Guess I shouldn't have generalized.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

This is getting interesting. What version of Premiere Elements were you using when you ran into problems with the Quicktime export? What did you have on that Timeline with regard to source, format, and duration?

Did you just hit, Share/Personal/Computer/Quicktime and "freeze-ville"? Or, did the export fail after it got started as evidenced by those blue progress bars?

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                          mikece Level 1

1. My computer doesn't crash. Elements just closes without giving me any kind of error message.

2. When I try to export projects I have already successfully exported as a Quicktime .mov about six months ago, today when I try to export them again, Elements just closes. Elements closes as soon as I choose "Export > Quicktime." I don't get the pop-up menu.

3. I just opened a new project, input into the timeline an .avi that I worked with on a project I successfully exported six months ago. When I tried exporting this new project to Quicktime, Elements closes as soon as I choose "Export > Quicktime." I don't get the pop-up menu.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mikece,

What version of QT Player are you using?

Going back a bit, the 7.4.x versions (about 3) would not work with almost anything adobe. The first good version, after those seemed to have been 7.5.5.

Now, Apple has an archive site. You may have to navigate all around for it, but it has older versions of QT Player. I'd look at doing an uninstall of a more recent version (7.6.2 was the last new one that I knew of), and download and install 7.5.5.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - during the 7.4.x releases, I had to go back to 7.3.5 from a SmartSound installation disc. Along those lines, if you have the installation disc for PrE, the chances are good that there is an older version of QT Player. However, as 7.5.5 worked for most folk, I'd urge you to not go back too far, especially as things like the H.264 CODEC might not be in there.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                              mikece Level 1

Hey Snob,

Thanks! I didn't know they kept old QT versions on the Apple site. Yep, the problem was with QT 7.6.4, which is what I was using.

I found QT 7.5.5 as you suggested, installed it and now I'm getting the QT options menu in Premiere Elements 3.0.2 and the program doesn't crash. So, I'm back in business.

Of course, all I need to do now is remember the export settings I liked six months ago and I'll be all set.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! I've been holding onto my 7.5.5 on all of my computers, since it seems to work. Sorry that the newer ones might be problematic. Similar has been happening on the PrPro forum too, so you are not alone.

I would hope that Apple would test their new players a bit better, as almost every Adobe program (PrE is an exception), are ported for and heavily used by, Mac-users. QT Player seems to break too many things Adobe.

Thanks for reporting, and good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mikece

I have been following your progress in this issue and was pleased to see that you and Hunt targeted a way to get your Quicktime to export your Timeline in your Premiere Element 3.0.2.

I have not run into the situation that you described with versions 2, 4, 6, and 8 with the most current version of Quicktime installed, same as the one that you were using until Hunt's suggestion. So, I wonder can we differientiate here between a bad install of the latest version of Quicktime versus a bug in the latest version of Quicktime. I am assuming that this was the first time that you used Premiere Elements 3.0.2 since the download of the latest Quicktime version.

I would be the last to recommend an uninstall/reinstall of the latest version of Quicktime to prove the point because of experiences/difficulties I had once when I wanted to uninstall Quicktime to try out Quicktime Alternative. As I have said in prior post, I had to essentially blast Quicktime off the computer to uninstall it. That was not this current Quicktime version, but, as I recall, the one that you are using now.

We would all agree "Do not mess with a working system." So, continued success and please let us know if your 3.0.2 Quicktime export met your expectations.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                                    mikece Level 1

ATR:

It would be worth it to try a QT 7.6.4 re-install, of course because I'd prefer to use the most recent version. I'm kinda busy to try it now, but if I can get to it, I'll post the results.

Mike

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mikece

I will look forward to any further reports.

In my last post I recited the versions of Premiere Elements that I have installed on the same computer. There are no versions 5 and 6 for Premiere Elements, just 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8. So what I wrote previously should have been versions 2, 4, 7, and 8. (no 6!!).

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash

These were plain old DV-AVIs. I tried using Share and using File/Export/Movie. In both cases, nada. It would look like it was going to start -- then it would stop with a message saying it couldn't export the file.

I'm using Quicktime 7.6.4.

And I've trouble-shot it to death, Tony. Finally just gave up and found another way.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Quicktime Export Crash
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Do you have any machine with QT Player 7.5.5?

On the PrPro forum, some seem to have issues with QT 7.6.x on the PC, but the latest versions seem to work with PrPro (CS4.1) on the Mac.

Just curious,

Hunt