34 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 3:34 AM by Claudio González

Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

Dave138

I'm trying to install PageMaker 7 in Vista Home Premium, and the Postscript Driver and ODBC driver won't install as they crash in the middle of installing. The main Pagemaker 7 program installed (and has been updated) as well as Acrobat Distiller and ATM Lite. Any suggestions as to how important they are and what is needed to install them. A second question is that what do you do with the second install disc, it's never asked for. Dave138

• 1. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
          Level 4

Pm is not supported in Vista. PM 7 is 8 years old now.

• 2. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Totally unsupported and installing ATM lite was probably a very big mistake. It's completely unnecessary in Vista.

Additionally, AFAIK, the earliest version of Acrobat or Distiller supported under Vista is 8.1.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
              BigJohnD Level 3

There may be some way to force Vista to accept PM via compatibility mode, but the real answer is forget it.

I'm worried by your intalling of ATM Lite.  Here's some pre-Vista advice.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/395626

Iechyd da! John
              23:29 04/10/2009 BST

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                Dave138 Level 1

Why did Adobe stop improving PageMaker, and then start a new program - Indesign CS? Is Indesign an updated version of PageMaker for Vista? Dave

• 5. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                  Level 4

Adobe bought Pagemaker from Aldus so they could get the new more stable and robust page layout app Aldus was working on at the time now called InDesign. It would be safe to say there is nobody left who can sort through the spaghetti code that is Pagemaker. The app went as far as it could and that's where it sits.

Out of Pagemakers ashes rises InDesign which is like Pagemaker on steriods. And is your only option if you want to do page layout in Vista.

Well I suppose you could use Quark but why would anyone want to do that.

• 6. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                    michael_bucci

I too experienced your dilemma. However, if you installed PM7 and Acrobat Distiller 6 but cannot export to PDF because no suitable Postscript Driver is found, then install MS Publisher Imagesetter found in Vista's Printer setup. Go to Printers -> Add Printer -> Add a Local Printer -> Dialogue Box:(left pane Manufacturer) choose Generic, (right pane Printers) choose MS Publisher Imagesetter.

I installed this printer on LP1 port.

Go to PM7

Open a document

File menu: Document Setup -> Compose to Printer (choose MS Publisher Imagesetter)

File menu: Export-> Adobe PDF

(PDF Options now appear)

Export

Result: PDF document.

The experts here will attest or argue. But this worked for me. Good luck.

-mtb

• 7. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                      BigJohnD Level 3

Your solution is a variation on the usual response when a user wants to install a PS driver.

However the PS driver on the PM Setup CD is ancient, as are OBDC files.

• 8. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                        Steven Schreiner Level 1

You know, some people can't afford to rebuy all their software.

InDesign is very expensive. I am just a poor home user.

I need PageMaker 7 to work on Windows7 64bit. I have no choice.

So, what does someone like me do?

• 9. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

The upgrade to ID from PM is only $199.

You should have built that into the price of the computer because there's really no way to get to PM to work or install reliably in Win 7 64 bit. The PM code is the better part of 20 years old.

Bob

• 10. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                            BigJohnD Level 3

If poverty is the key factor, you can run PM7 very effectively on an old Win2K PC with 256 or 512Mb of RAM.

Otherwise, move to InDesign using your PM licence to get a very big discount.

EDIT:  Oops, I see Bob said something similar.

• 12. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                              BigJohnD Level 3

You can try and let us know.

There's no advice or experience on this issue, AFAIK - see here.

• 13. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                michael_bucci Level 1

Yes, it can be quite costly to keep up...!!!

In lieu of upgrading to Win 7 Ultimate or Professional in order to run Windows Virtual PC with XP mode (assuming your computer BIOS is set correctly and will permit virtualization), one can run XP (and most previous Win OS's) in virtual mode using Sun's free VirtualBox. I now use it on Vista to run PM7 when PM7 (on Vista) refuses to open legacy files created on Mac PM7 or exhibits other anomalies when running on Vista. I can use that same VirtualBox "image" or virtual machine on multiple computers and OS's (with care). I also own InDesign 2 (won't run on Vista or Snow Leopard) and InDesign CS4 (compatible with SL and Win 7) for both Mac and Windows platform. The agenda here (for me) has been to convert ALL previous files created in PageMaker (Mac versions 2-7) and InDesign 2 (Mac) to the latest Adobe program (InDesign CS4) and look to the FUTURE. That future means moving ahead into the latest two major OSs released this November as well: Mac Snow Leopard (SL) and Win 7. Regrettably, the future of PostScript is in question for Mac users also, which is why I am focusing on Windows over Mac for the future. Adding then to the challenge of updating all files to InDesign CS4 is the task of updating those files with OpenType replacement fonts (from PostScript conversions made in-house). Quite a project it is since these files date from 1987. When all is said and done, I will have access to twenty-two years of files current with the latest InDesign app and the latest OS. From there forward, the past is the past and the future is the future (pardon the trite philosophy).

PageMaker has long been abandoned on the Mac, and now it arguably is on Windows. Adobe abandoned PostScript for OpenType some years back. This is the FUTURE that we are seeing, and we are being forced to adapt to it by both Snow Leopard and Win 7 and their successors. OS9 or Win98 or XP aren't coming back. That's just the way it is. For now, you can stay with XP using a virtualization application like Sun's VirtualBox (in Vista or Win 7) or you can move forward and upgrade to InDesign CS4. In the end, you will move forward. Why not do it now?

• 14. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                  Jay Chevako Level 3

michael_bucci wrote:

. The agenda here (for me) has been to convert ALL previous files created in PageMaker (Mac versions 2-7) and InDesign 2 (Mac) to the latest Adobe program (InDesign CS4) and look to the FUTURE.

For the life of me I will never understand this. Why convert all of your files? Do you really need to update all of your files?

Counting ad files, I have thousands of old pagemaker files archived, It's been so long that I haven't had to pull up a pagemaker file in years. When I was starting out with indesign I converted my three current magazine templates, and left the other files, updating them as needed.

Jay

• 15. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                    michael_bucci Level 1

Well, perhaps I am a bigger idiot than I thought. If you really need to understand my reasoning, you need to understand that the material in question is currently IN-PRINT (books!!!!!!!), not archive files. Do forgive my posting for remaining vague. That makes me a vague idiot (:--)))

• 16. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                      Jay Chevako Level 3

22 years of projects still in print, now that's job security!

Jay

• 17. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                        michael_bucci Level 1

We're off the subject of Vista and PageMaker 7, but to reply... the books in question have as their first publication date 1991. So, it is not 22 years but 18. Like you, the advertising, magazine and PR collateral material we've created over 22 years either has been archived or tossed to the ethers. Book publishing imposes an altogether different sense of longevity and the need to think in much longer time frames. It's a very micro process and can plesantly offset the rigors, anxieties and mad deadlines that plague most design and publication work. Books are sometimes "here today, gone tomorrow" productions, but also may last decades. One plans accordingly. Frankly, I'm too old for either at this point and want to concentrate on my own writings and books, which do date back 22+ years. Try not to get old, Jay.

• 18. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                          Bob Caused This Level 1

I know these posts are a bit dated, but I'm here to say that in 2012 I've got a reliable version of PageMaker 7.01a installed and working efficiently on the Windows 7 Ultimate OS platform. Of course I took advantage of installing it with the help of the Virtual PC XP Mode, but after working out a few bugs, it is doing what it was doing on my old XP Professional OS, which is mainly magazine page layout and design, and producing press ready pdf files via the export function. I've already been through one publication and everything went through the printer's prepress and rip without any hiccups. As a bonus, Win 7 seems to hold fonts much better than XP. With XP, I occassionally would see quite a few dropped fonts in the pdf creation process. Nothing so far with Win 7 Ultimate. So, out of the ashes like a phoenix (with quite a bit of soot covering it) PM rises again! Woo Hoo! Just to clarify, I am running PM on the Windows 7 interface, NOT in XP mode!

• 19. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

We get it…you’re lucky.

Congrats to you, but I wonder what happens when the whole thing blows up in your face. Will you come on back and let us know?

Bob

• 20. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                              Bob Caused This Level 1

I most certainly will give an update (if necessary)…

But the “if and when” although it may seem possible, isn’t quite probable. Call me an optimist.

My sole purpose of posting to this forum was not to toot my own horn, but simply let people know that before moving on to the upgrade option and completely giving up on PM, they should at least try. There were quite a bit of improvements from Vista to Win 7.

If all else fails, then PM should work fine in XP Mode, though this is not my preference.

And making sure I didn’t speak too soon, I just ran a 10 page test export out of PM…the pdfs that were created are a thing of beauty.

What more could I ask?

What turned out to be a simple ‘healthy discussion’ almost seemed like a debate in the end. That was not my intention. I apologize.

Shalom!

• 21. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                Michael Bucci

Shalom Bob,

I've used PM7 on Vista Ultimate and Win7 Home (both 32 and 64-bit versions) since 2009. NO PROBLEMS!!!! Acrobat Distiller does work also. I began with Aldus PageMaker 2.0 in 1987 and those files are important for me to access (upgrading to Aldus PM 5, then to PM7). InDesign is a beautiful and elegant app, but I don't need a 747 to walk across the street. There continues to be a market for PM7. One would wish that simplicity could find a home again in what has become an overgrown forest of big, bulky, overloaded software.

Also, thank goodness for virtual boxes that can run legacy Windows and Mac OSs permitting all of us to run apps that are refused by 64-bit OSs.

All the Best.

• 22. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                  Steven Schreiner Level 1

Okay, I will address this to both Bob Caused This and Michael Bucci.

Bob: You say that you installed on Windows 7 Ultimate edition with the help of Virtual PC XP Mode. But at the end of your post you say that you are not running it in XP Mode, but in Windows 7 mode. How did you do that? Also, I have Windows 7 Professional. Will it work for me?

Michael: You say that you have been running PM7 on Win7 Home but at the end of your post you say... "thank goodness for virtual boxes" ... so does that mean that you installed and are running PM7 in Virtual PC XP Mode on Windows 7?

I would love to think that I can actually install PM7 on my Windows7 Professional laptop without having to run in Virtual Mode. As it is, I only use my old XP desktop when I want to use PM7.

Thanks for any help,

Steven

• 23. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                    Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I cannot forget the countless posts in the old PageMaker forum from people who had lost all their work because of PM files suddenly becoming corrupt without their keeping a recent backup, or one that had not been overwritten by an already corrupt file. If you have been lucky enough to get PM to work faultlessly under Win 7, I do hope that you are also lucky in finding that PM is more stable than in previous Win versions. Or that you have and keep strictly a very good backup scheme.

• 24. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                      Jay Chevako Level 3

Ah the resurrection of old posts. Pagemaker itself had a reputation for blowing up for no reason. This didn't happen to most users, but it happened often enough to get noticed. Some people were able to just reinstall pagemaker, others had to redo their whole system. Backup your files often (incremental backups were the only way to insure against corruption), and be prepared for a "system reinstall" (this could be a simple as a new virtual winxp machine)
                                                      Jay

• 25. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

I don’t get the fascination with PM to be honest. Even if InDesign was overkill I’d recommend going to something like PagePlus or Scribus.

Truly crazy to risk your work on something as wonky as PM on a Vista or Win 7.

Bob

• 26. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                          Steven Schreiner Level 1

Okay, so now we get the vague accusations and critical comments from those who either never used Pagemaker in real world situations or just want us all to move on to the overbloated and VERY expensive alternatives. It's the same old story as with Aldus Freehand and WordPerfect. We have great programs that work exquisitely and are user friendly, then along comes some giant company like Microsoft or Adobe, who, in their desire to control the market, buys up the quality programs and proceeds to put them out of business. Well, I have news for you guys, no matter what you think, PageMaker, Freehand and WordPerfect are all good programs, were good then, are still good now, and many of us who believed in them do not have the megabucks to shell out to the big companies who just want to do them in!

• 27. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

You have no idea what you're talking about. I started with PM on version 5 and used it straight through to version 7.

If you poke around this forum you will see that many recommendation have come for programs like PagePlus or Scribus.

And I'll repeat what I've said over and over and over again. If you want to use 15 year old software then don't buy a new computer.

Bob

• 28. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                              Michael Bucci Level 1

Steven, I mentioned virtual boxes because I need Oracle's VirtualBox for XP, Win 2000 and even Win 98 in order to launch the very old PM software (versions 3-5) and also need SheepShaver to launch the very old MAC versions of the PM software. The finished conversions to PM7 are then compared to the original files opened in the virtual box and run in the version that created the file.

Steven, to see if PM7 works on your Win7 Pro machine download the trial version (http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker ). Adobe still offers Trial and sells Full versions of PM7 for Win and Mac.

Insofar as other comments, no one needs to defend or justify what programs they use and which ones they don't. The subject here was: "Will PM7 work on Vista or Win7", my answer is YES.

Shalom

• 29. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

Your answer should be “Yes, it works for me.”

For many it won’t even install and if it does it doesn’t work properly. Unless of course you want to support those people. We can use all the help we can get in this forum.

Those of us that used to be PM regulars have moved to InDesign and don’t even have PM installed anymore. Anything I can do comes from memory.

Bob

• 30. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                                  Michael Bucci Level 1

Hello Bob,

This is a PageMaker Forum so it continues to exist for a reason - for those who need help and "support" in the choices of apps they made for themselves.

Yes, I stand corrected. Pagemaker 7 on Win7 "works for me". Bob, you won't mind if I call on you to proof all my writings? I need a good editor and critic.

I promise I'll supply the drafts in ID CS4, not PM7.

• 31. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                                    Jay Chevako Level 3

As has been repeated ad nauseuem, yes this is a pagemaker forum, but the only regulars here have long since moved on to indesign. The people who still do use pagemaker, only come around to ask questions, they don't stick around to provide answers.

And yes I to used pagemaker since version 5, but I stopped at version 6.5 and used it in realworld situations, magazines, books and annual reports, etc. I laugh at the thought of the things I had to do to get pageamker to do the layouts I wanted, clipping paths in photoshop, building gradients in illustrator, and having to build entire backgrounds in photoshop for small effects like dropshadows. I have used pagemaker in realworld situations, which is why I recommend Indesign.

Jay

• 32. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                                      Michael Bucci Level 1

Jay, I don't disagree. I waited for InDesign 2 to begin transferring workflow to that version from PM7 (Mac & Win). I graduated to CS4 (Mac and Win) in 2009.

PM7 has at least two audiences that come to mind: 1) Those who use it for light-weight design for in-house laser/ink jet printers in small businesses, for example; 2) and those who want to upgrade to InDesign 5.5 via the PM7 route and save many hundreds of dollars in the process (providing they have PM5, 6 or 6.5; the cost is $79 for PM7 upgrade and $199 for ID 5.5 upgrade from PM7).

Adobe introduced the "Elements" platform (e.g., Photoshop Elements, Premier Elements) with good results from the consumer/semi-pro market. Maybe it is time to consider this for ID.

While I don't want to waste space here or people's time, I must say that Aldus PM5 works on the 32-bit versions of Win 7 Basic and Home, even though it is an app from the Win 3.1 era. But I must qualify that statement with: "It works for me!"

Cheers to all.

PS: now I must go back to my books on learning DOS and Quirk Xpress 1.06.

• 33. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista

There is no market for an InDesign Elements. There are too many alternatives and not everyone needs or wants a pagelayout application.

The reason PS and Premiere work is because everyone and his mother has a digital camera.

Bob

• 34. Re: Problems installing PageMaker 7 in Vista
                                                                          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

All regular helpers here are old time PM users who come back mainly for sentimental reasons. I started with PM 2 and, as I am a Mac user, I was forced to stop using it with the advent of Mac OS X. Afterwars I bouth a Win portable and was able to use it for some more time. I gave up when I was no longer able to install it in that machine either.

I have not read anything here that has not been already posted dozens of times in many previous threads on the subject, except for some new people who say they are happily and faultessly using PM 5, 6 or 7 under Windows 7. I am glad for them although personally I think it's playing with fire, so I wish them luck. However, their claims do not help in any way those many, many others who keep on posting that they cannot get PM to work properly -or even install- in the newer OSs.