6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 8:50 AM by the_wine_snob

list of acceptable formats

mightypants Level 1

Is there a comprehensive list of formats that Premiere Elements can import/export?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: list of acceptable formats
          mightypants Level 1

Okay, I found the list I was looking for, but now another question.  The list includes .vob for imports, but I Premiere keeps crashing when I try to import one.  Can anyone confirm that .vob files will work?  It's possible that the files themselves are messed up, but they seem to be okay.

• 2. Re: list of acceptable formats
            A.T. Romano Level 7

What Premiere Elements version are you using?

Premiere Elements 7?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/409/kb409040.html

With Premiere Elements you can import VOBs to the Timeline. Typically, you can rip them from the DVD-VIDEO by placing the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, opening Premiere Elements and using its Media Downloader for the purpose. If you have Premiere Elements 7, the route would be Get Media/DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive).

Some get excellent results. Others do not quality or otherwise. For those who do not, the typically and most effective route is to use the free MPEG Streamclip to convert the VOBs to DV AVI and then bring the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements Get Media/Files & Folders.

http://www.squared5.com

That should give you excellent results.

The above principle holds true for Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8 which I have used and versions 1 and 3 which I have not used. (There is no versions 5 and 6).

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: list of acceptable formats
              mightypants Level 1

Thanks.  I'm using the trial version of 7, evaluating it for potential purchase by the company I work for.  I'll try the methods you gave--we have several video conversion apps, so I can definitely do that but we're hoping to have an app that will allow us to do some basic editing with as little extra conversion as possible.  I think Premiere Elements will do the job, but making sure VOBs will work is important.

• 4. Re: list of acceptable formats
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If the .VOB's are 100% DVD-compliant (very important), then PrE should be able to Import from your HDD and work with these. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more detail on .VOB's. They are not all created equal, though they look the same on the outside.

Good luck, and please tell us a bit more about these .VOB files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: list of acceptable formats
                  mightypants Level 1

Thanks for the link, your thread on VOBs was very informative.

• 6. Re: list of acceptable formats
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the kind words. What I tried to do was to convey the idea that not all .VOB files are created equal. It's just like .AVI files. Different "stuff" can reside inside those files with common extensions. It's the "stuff" that matters, and not the file extension.

With pure MPEG-2 .VOB's (most common with the second, third, etc. .VOB in a VIDEO_TS folder), one can most often just change the file extension to MPEG and edit. It's usually that first .VOB that can contain all sorts of extra "stuff," ofen menuing instrucitons, navigational instructions and even title instructions. These can muck up just renaming the first .VOB to MPEG, and can also keep PrE and PrPro (from version CS4.1) from just Importing and working with the files.

As both Adobe NLE's are built around a DV-AVI Type II file workflow for SD material, doing a good, clean conversion, as ATR recommends, will work in all cases. The limitation is the utility used for this conversion, and how well it deals with that "stuff." MPEG Steamclip comes highly recommended for this purpose.

Many format charts stop very short, as they'll say things like "supports: AVI, MPEG, MP4, .MOV, .VOB, etc." What they fail to take into consideration (and it's a very important consideration), is that each of those can contain all sorts of CODEC's, and "stuff." They are but "wrappers," and are almost meaningless by themselves. This ARTICLE goes into a little background on the concept of "wrappers." Actually, once one gets past the first .VOB with the potential for "stuff," they are probably the easies files to deal with as they WILL be MPEG-2 files inside the .VOB wrapper. The rest in the list can be nearly anything, hence the confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt