5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 6:36 PM by dradeke

Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2

gregoriojb

I happen to use my computer for multiple functions, besides video editing with Adobe Production Suite CS2, I also use it to sync up my iPhone. Now, with a recent change in quicktime for the new itunes ver 9, the upgrade to quicktime 7.6.4 breaks my premiere's ability to see or work with .mov files. They all show up as offline. I was able to download 7.6.2 and correct the issue, but now iTunes is broken. The only solution, which is not a solution, is to downgrade to 7.6.2 when editing, and upgrade to 7.6.4 when syncing my phone. Has anyone else seen this issue and know of a way around it?

• 1. Re: Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2
          Harm Millaard Level 7

L'histoire se repete.

Nothing new here. All QT/iTunes updates first break your system, cause havoc, requiring you to revert to the previous version. You are better off not installing QT/iTunes at all. If you need that stuff, use a separate computer that is not critical and where you do not mind a souped up system.

• 2. Re: Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The only solution

There is another, which I use all the time.  Though you may not like it.

Just don't use anything Mac.  No iTunes.  No iPhone.  No .mov files.  And especially no Quicktime.

Life is good.

• 3. Re: Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that the most recent versions of QT Player harken back to the 7.4.x days. These newer versions appear to break much Adobe - again.

Most have had luck rolling back to QT Player 7.5.5. Should be available on the Apple site, though you may have to really drill down for the archived versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2
                dradeke Adobe Employee

Some of what is said is true - Quicktime isn't as consistent nor as reliable as it once was.  In general, I have stuck with 7.5.6 until iTunes9 came out and forced me to move to 7.6.4.  For CS4, it's not shown anything abnormal, but CS2 might be a different story.

Perhaps the one thing I can possibly suggest is to uninstall your CS2 and reinstall it after you have upgraded to QT 7.6.4.  Perhaps then Premiere Pro and Quicktime will get along like they should.  Also, when you're using CS2, make sure you have any and all updates for them.

Hopefully, this helps,

Dennis

• 5. Re: Quicktime 7.6.4 breaks Premiere Pro 2
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

I'm also still on CS2, and the old QT 7.3.5 worked fine with it. I resisted the 7.4.x versions, as they were doing a poor job with so many Adobe products. When 7.5.x came out, I waited, until the field reported. All seemed to be fine, so all of my computers got 7.5.5, and all is great. Though I also have iTunes (on the laptop), I have hesitated to allow any upgrades to take place, regardless.

There are two new threads on the PrE forum, where 7.6.2 broke PrE, and 7.5.5 "fixed" those user's issues. There have been a couple of QT Player issues here too, and they involved 7.6.2. Do not know if Apple is up to 7.6.3, or not.

Now, I am a firm believer in not trying to "fix," what ain't broke [SIC]. Unless I can directly benefit from a "feature," I am loathe to just go with the "newest." In most cases, this policy has kept me from having to roll-back, in hopes that I can fix some problem from a new and improved version of X.

Totally OT for this thread, but do you have any insight on the differences in the Functional Content, i.e. Transistions and Effects, between the Mac and the PC versions of CS4? There have been several threads from Mac-users, and so far no one has had anything but sheer speculation. I don't know if you've seen any of those threads, but if you have any ideas, I'm sure that many Mac-users could benefit from those. [Sorry to go so OT.]

Thanks,

Hunt