3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 9:55 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

CS 3 New Docs Open with Crop Area

Jens Peermann Level 2

My CS3 Illustrator has acquired a new habit. Whenever I open a new, blank document the artboard size is at maximum and a crop area is there, in the size that I specified for the artboard in the New Document dialog. To correct that I have to specify the dimensions for the artboard again and then select the crop tool so I can delete the crop area. This never happened before. Where did I go wrong?

I couldn't find anything in the Preferences to change this. Where else would I look?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: CS 3 New Docs Open with Crop Area
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any chance you may have accidentally messed up your New Document templates and profiles? Enabled any of the extended options in teh artboard tool (from the toolbar menu)? Other than that of course AI will remember the last active settings and use them wit hevery new one created thereafter, but picking a different template usually resets everything.....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS 3 New Docs Open with Crop Area
            Jens Peermann Level 2

Mylenium wrote:

Any chance you may have accidentally messed up your New Document templates and profiles? Enabled any of the extended options in teh artboard tool (from the toolbar menu)? Other than that of course AI will remember the last active settings and use them wit hevery new one created thereafter, but picking a different template usually resets everything.....

Mylenium

Kinda messed up, not really though. I had opened a "New Web Document" and changed the default size which changes the document type to "Custom" but retains the characteristics for a Web Document. One of them is to use the crop area instead of the artboard borders, which it will keep doing every time you open a new document. Selecting one of the other new document options - except for Movie and Video - sets it back to using the artboard borders.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: CS 3 New Docs Open with Crop Area
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Did you try resetting the prferences by deleting the settings folder?