4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 5:48 AM by M.Jay.Victor

Bleeds in Illustrator CS3 being saved as PDF

vsveness

I've created artwork for business card in Illustrator CS3.  It is going to a printer online.  When saving it as a PDF only the trim marks show, not the bleed, even though I've changed it under the Bleed section to 5mm (and all 4 boxes changed).

• 1. Re: Bleeds in Illustrator CS3 being saved as PDF
          tman69 Level 3

one way to get the bleeds to show in CS3 --you will need to increase your document size to include the bleeds--i.e. standard business card is 2" x 3.5"--so--change your document size to 2.25" x 3.75".

another way is to place the trim marks manually (this will increase the 'bounding box' and should then include the bleed area).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bleeds in Illustrator CS3 being saved as PDF
            vsveness Level 1

Thanks for your answer.  This poses another question.  How to place trim marks manually?

I really thought that there would be an easier way to do this.

• 3. Re: Bleeds in Illustrator CS3 being saved as PDF
              KC29 Level 3

vsveness wrote:

How to place trim marks manually?

I really thought that there would be an easier way to do this.

It's not quite as simple as you'd hope........

If your finished size is eg 50mm x 30mm, create a document size which is 70mm x 50mm (to include the bleed) and position the artwork in it accordingly

Then create a rectangle which is 50mm x 30mm. Make it with no Fill and no Stroke

Position that rectangle over the artwork so that it frames the artwork in the correct way

Keeping that rectangle selected, Filter > Create > Crop marks

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bleeds in Illustrator CS3 being saved as PDF
                M.Jay.Victor Level 2

Can you upload the PDF so we can see whats happening? It is MUCH easier than what its being made out to be. The only time in CS3 and before when you would want to add size for bleed was directly linking an AI in IND.