12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 6:17 AM by Jim_Simon

Why does progressive footage look interlace?

Yo,Adrian

I shot using 30p with a panisonic dvx100, at 120 shutter speed, with auto irus. While importing, the footage looked great (imported using Adobe pro). Using Adobe pro. the footage looks interlace. Why and how do I fix this problem. I heard that de-interlace reduces the quality but the fact is I should'nt have to, since the footage was shot in progressive. If you know the answer I can really use you're help.

• 1. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
          dsladek Level 1

Are you indeed sure it is progressive. When you import it into your project does PP4 identify it as progressive?

Maybe you just forgot to render your preview?

• 2. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Is your footage 1080p30?  CS4 incorrectly interprets 1080p30 footage as interlaced on import.  You can fix this with File|Interpret Footage.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Using Adobe pro. the footage looks interlace.

Don't worry too much about how it looks inside of Premiere Pro.  Premiere is an editor, where you arrange content.  Only use a properly calibrated external TV monitor to judge quality, either by connecting one to Premiere, or by burning a DVD/Blu-ray for external playback.

• 4. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Which version of the software are you using: CS3 or earlier, or CS4? No version includes a pre-built preset for working with DV 30p footage. In CS3 and earlier, you have to set up a custom project, whereas in CS4, you setup a custom sequence. In either case, when you create a new project (<CS3) or sequence (CS4), click the General tab, and change the Field dropdown to "No Fields (Progressive Scan)". You don't need to change anything else, unless, for example, you're working with widescreen footage--change those parameters if necessary. When you're done, save this as a new DV 30p preset.

Now, you may also need to interpret your 30p footage as progressive--I'm not quite sure how 30p capture works in PPro. Select your clips in the bin, and go to File > Interpret Footage. From the pop-up that appears, under Field Order, select Conform To: No Field (Progressive Scan). As I said, I'm not sure if Premiere knows on capture how to interpret 30p footage or not, so this may not be necessary.

• 5. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                  Yo,Adrian Level 1

First off thanks for the instant reply. I am sure about the footage being

progressive, it was shot in standard (720X480) 30p. and to specify, the

image has a stair effect that is really noticeable around sharp lines. I am

using Adobe pro, CS3. I think the problem might have taken place with the

settings during the import but not sure. If so what are the proper settings

and is the footage I already imported worthless, meaning can I save it

without loosing quality?

• 6. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Import means a copy of digital data from source A to destination B. Nothing can go wrong in the process, unless you have a system or disk failure during that time. If anything went wrong it is either your camera settings during the shoot, or the wrong sequence settings for the imported material.

• 7. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      the image has a stair effect that is really noticeable around sharp lines.

Don't worry too much about how it looks inside of Premiere Pro.  Premiere is an editor, where you arrange content.  Only use a properly calibrated external TV monitor to judge quality, either by connecting one to Premiere, or by burning a DVD/Blu-ray for external playback.

• 8. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                        Yo,Adrian Level 1

The camera settings where fine, in fact I pulled the original file from the

hard drive and played the raw footage using  Windows media player, and the

stair effect around the edges does not appear. So, you mentioned the

possibility of having the wrong sequence settings for the import material.

Does this mean I will have to change the settings for a new sequence or do I

need to re-import and make sure the setting are set proper?

• 9. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't need to import again. That works flawless. Consider Jim's remarks and check that your sequence settings are correct. If you mistakely had the wrong settings, no problem, just create a new sequence with the proper settings and import the existing sequence into the new sequence.

• 10. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

But, do first check your footage on a properly calibrated external display.  Don't use Premiere's Program Monitor to judge anything.  It's there only to show you content, not quality.

• 11. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                              Yo,Adrian Level 1

I exported the footage into Encore and the footage still has the jagged

stair effect when viewed on t.v. apparently the problem is Anti-aliasing. I

don't know why or how the footage is alising, how to get rid of it, or

whether the problem came from the actual caption on the Dv tapes or the

editing software? If anyone is familiar with this term Please fill me in.

• 12. Re: Why does progressive footage look interlace?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

OK, now that you know the issue carries through, and is a genuine issue, what are the sequence settings you were using when you made the test?  What are the export settings you used for the test?