10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 6:04 PM by sghmotorhome

PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?

The-Russ Level 1

This is my second thread.  Sorry if I am being repetitious

PE8 locks up on me when I try to edit video.  Im using Vista 64 and the application goes white and says (not responding)  I am editing HD m2ts files that are about 3gig.  When I edit a small 100meg file it doesn't lock up.  I have tried every HD setting to for my project and get the exact same result.  Right now I am uninstalling the software, and reinstalling it. 

Am I able to get help from Adobe? I tried calling yesterday and was on hold for 45 min before I was cut off. 

Someone tell me what is needed to edit HD video... 

Here are my PC specs:

vista 64

Intel i7 920

AUSUS P6E Motherboard

6G ram

Nvidia Quadro 1800 diver 191

2 - 500G, 7200rpm Hard Drives

The video came from my Panasonic HDC-HS300 camcorder.  I got the files by copy and paste.  When I plugged in my camera I treated the camera hard drive like I would any other and located the files and ctrl-c ctrl-v.  The files are m2ts.

Info about the file from a program called AVIcodec

File     :  2.75 GB (2.75 GB),  duration: 0:23:25,  type: DSH,  1 audio stream(s),  quality: 98 %

Video :  2.68 GB,  16445 Kbps,  29.970 fps,  1920*1080 (16:9),   = MainConcept (Adobe2) AVC/H.264

Audio :  64 MB,  383 Kbps,  48000 Hz,  6 channels,  0x2000 = AC3 DVM

• 1. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ensure that you are using the AVCHD project preset and that your Windows Updates are current (go manually to Windows Update) and that you have the latest Quicktimes.It might also be worth going to your computer's manufacturer's site and making sure you've got the latest drivers and firmware. Brand new computers are often months out of date.

Also, ensure that both of your hard drives are set up as NTFS (not FAT32) and that they are set up in your computer's BIOS -- not just the operating system.

If, after all that, you're still having problems, I'd definitely recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support. Contact information can be found in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

• 2. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
            sghmotorhome

Steve Grisetti,  Where is you class at this winter?  Time and place

I realize that this is not proper, but I do not understand how to communicate with you using this forum.   sghmotorhome

• 3. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you anywhere in the Milwaukee area? I'll be glad to help you out.

Otherwise, no classes yet -- although I've been urging the local college to let me teach an adult education class for some time and, if Muvipix.com continues to grow and there's enough demand for us, a couple of us may travel around the country and do seminars.

In the meantime, though, you're just stuck with my books and the tutorials on the web site.

• 4. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Russ,

I cannot recall if I listed this ARTICLE in that other thread. If so, I apologize. Especially if your system is new, there is very likely much bloatware, that installs at boot up, that is not needed. Even some of the necessary programs and Processes can be stopped, before you edit.

I go through the outlined proceedure, even when editing small SD Projects on my workstation. Your system is certainly powerful enough, and when all bottlenecks are eliminated, even AVCHD should edit smoothly and without additional effort.

One quick question, and maybe answered in the previous thread, but how are your internal HDD's allocated, i.e. OS, programs and Page File on C:\, and all media, Projects and Scratch Disks on D:\? Also, how is your Page File set up and managed?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                  The-Russ Level 1

Just to give a little update...  I have done everything that you guys have told me and have gone through each step of the troubleshoot Freezes... support document.  I then called tech support and spent a good hour on line with them and the support supervisor.  They are not sure what the details are, but they will elevate it to higher powers. 

Being on the phone with tech support forced me to look close at the problems and I have a few opinions.

With a small AVCHD (m2ts) file there are no issues. With a 75meg I could immediately begin to edit once the file is set in the sceneline.  With a larger file 300meg I had to wait a min or two and then it worked fine. 

However with a large file, 2.75g, there are major problems. 

When the file is in the organizer screen there is a process called conforming and then rendering that takes place. With a very small file this is done quickly, with a med size file this is done in the background.  The problem is with a large file.  Once you move the file from the organizer to the sceneline the process stops and elements 8 locks up.  My next step is to load the clip I want to edit and wait for it to conform and try to edit.  If that doesn’t work I will let it render and try.

There is an issue with the file size that was not there in premiere elements 7.

• 6. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                    The-Russ Level 1

I asume that when a clip has a "P" in the bottom right corner of the organizer that it has been conformed?

• 7. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Conforming is the process of getting the Audio into 32-bit floating point configuration, so the the Audio can be edited. At the same time, .PEK files are being generated to allow for the Waveform Display. This happens once, unless you move, or delete the .CFA and/or .PEK files.

Just that this take place. There is a little progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI. Grab a cup of coffee and do not do any editing during this process. Like I said, it's a one-time process (unless the user deletes, or moves the files), is very necessary, and will complete quickly, depending on one's system's speed.

On a 1 hr. DV-AVI file, with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, it takes my workstation about 30-45 sec. to Conform. While I can still work in PrPro, I do not, so I never have any hangs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                        The-Russ Level 1

it didnt take long to conform, but even when it was done PE8 locks up at editing.  I think there are MAJOR bugs in the new version of hte software and it is un-useable in its current state.

Sony Vegas has a terrible UI, but it has NEVEr locked up on me.  However neither did PE7.  I may be getting a refund.

• 9. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe ATR can address such issues in his testing of PrE 8. I cannot help, other than very general, non-version-specific comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE 8?  Is anyone having an issue with HD editing?
                            sghmotorhome Level 1

I am down in the Kansas city area so it would be a long trip to see you, but

I do appreciate you thoughtfulness to help, maybe something over the

internet in the future.    By the way I purchased your book on Premiere 7

from Amazon today.  I hope it will help getting thing together so my

computer will work with Premiere.    Thanks again  SG