3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 7:51 AM by Newsgroup_User

Word TABS

Meta03
      When I copy and paste a Word document that has special tabs, Dreamveaver does not place them in appropriate places. It also has a hard time translating fonts. Is there a way to import Microsoft Word documents so they appear exactly as the original?
        • 1. Re: Word TABS
          Level 7
          No. You are copying from a "print" program into a "web" program. They will
          never be 100% equivelant.

You can only approximately get them close.

If anything, you should copy over as plain text and then format in DW using
          the style sheets for your site.

• 2. Re: Word TABS
            Level 7
            No. Word processors and web pages use entirely different approaches for
            displaying content.

If your question were "can I format a page in HTML to look much like its
            parent document does in Word", the answer is YES. But to copy from Word and
            paste into the HTML page? It ain't happening....

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Meta03" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g5icv4$ph8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > When I copy and paste a Word document that has special tabs, Dreamveaver
            > does
            > not place them in appropriate places. It also has a hard time translating
            > fonts. Is there a way to import Microsoft Word documents so they appear
            > exactly
            > as the original?
            >

• 3. Re: Word TABS
              Level 7
              On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:41:40 +0000 (UTC), "Meta03"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>When I copy and paste a Word document that has special tabs, Dreamveaver does
              >not place them in appropriate places. It also has a hard time translating
              >fonts. Is there a way to import Microsoft Word documents so they appear exactly
              >as the original?

There is no tab in html - so it's not possible.

Word is really designed for documents printed on paper, and although
              there is an export to html function - it produces horrendous html
              code.

If you the document to look the same on the web - how about converting
              it to a pdf document - most web enabled pc's these days have a pdf
              reader loaded, or can easily do so, but not every web enabled PC has
              Word installed.

--

~Malcolm~*...
              ~*