6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 11:12 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Error right after capturing

Fredacus

I am working with Premiere Elements 7 and am able to capture video from my Sony camera just fine but as soon as the capture is finished, I get an error. This error reads as follows:

[..\Src\CAManager.cpp-884]

I have searched online for this error message (including here on the Adobe site) and nothing helpful comes up.

Does anyone know how I can avoid having this error come up?  (It appears that I can still work with my movie footage, but since I am in the process of helping build an image for deployment out to our school board, it would be better if our end-users don't have this error come up at all.)

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 2. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Fredacus,

I do not recall having seen this error before. Which model of Sony are you using?

Looking at the error, it seems to indicate something with the camera management module, but I could be wrong.

I am wondering what your exact workflow is, with regards to Capture, and especially immediately afterwards.

By this, I'm talking about the exact steps that you utilize, from the moment that Capture is complete, such as closing the Capture window, turning off, unpluging the camera, etc..

As some cameras prefer a certain sequence and order in things like when the camera is plugged in, turned on, PrE started, Capture initiated, I am wondering if your particular camera wants the shutdown to proceed in a particular order. Also, some NLE programs do not like the still have the camera attached and turned on, while one is editing, though some have no issue and can use the camera, in pass-through mode, to feed the signal from Preview to an attached analog monitor - it differs camera to camera and NLE to NLE. I do not believe that PrE can do the feed to analog, as PrPro can, so the order of turning the camera off, might be somewhat critical.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
              Fredacus Level 1

Thanks for the replies so far. 

Interestingly enough, I do not seem to get this error message when I am using the Premiere Elements as an Administrator.  It is only when I use it as another user with fewer privileges.  Ultimately, I need this program to work for users who are not set up as Administrators on our computers since that is how our student accounts have been set up in our school board....  I am not sure if that is helpful information or not but I did want to throw that in there.

John,

I will review the wiki more thoroughly as I have done most of what is mentioned already since that site came up in my online research.

the_wine_snotb,

I'm using Sony Handycam DCR-TRV11 (which I realize is pretty ancient!)

As far as the sequencing of the steps:

1. I turn on the computer and log in.
              2. Once the machine has finished loading, I plug the Sony into the firewire port and turn the camera on to VCR mode.
              3. A few seconds after turning the camera on, a prompt comes up asking me what I want to do.  I choose the one that allows me to import and edit my footage in Premiere Elements.
              4. Then within Premiere Elements, I go to File > Get Media From... > DV Camcorder
              5. I press the Record button until I have some footage.
              6. Here, I have to use the Stop button on my camcorder to stop recording.  (The playback buttons don't work in Premiere at this part of the process.)
              7. Then I see a progress bar while I guess it is importing the footage into Premiere.  It is at this point the error message pops up.
              • 4. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Interestingly enough, I do not seem to get this error message when I am using the Premiere Elements as an Administrator.  It is only when I use it as another user with fewer privileges.  Ultimately, I need this program to work for users who are not set up as Administrators on our computers since that is how our student accounts have been set up in our school board....  I am not sure if that is helpful information or not but I did want to throw that in there.

This is likely much of your problem. PrElements and PrPro (PrE's big brother), are designed to work with an Administrator account. This creates issues for users in academic situations, such as yourself with a computer lab, accessed by students. This is a common issue. It also comes into play in a networked edit suite, in a commercial situation.

I have filled in the Feature Request for full-networking for PrE, PrPro and Encore (the authoring app, that ships with PrPro), even though I am not a professor. I have done this, because I see the need for situations, like yours. I urge you to do the same, so that Adobe is kept aware that this is a problem for many.

As an aside, on the PrPro forum, we have just gotten an Adobe Employee, who is responsible for implementing PrPro in heavy-duty, industry situations. The lack of full-networking has been brought to his attention. I have also pointed out the need in academic situations. Though he works with the entertainment industry, he has passed this request to the person in charge of "academic affairs." Adobe has openly stated a desire to get more of their NLE products into the hands of students. I cannot promise anything, but can state that Adobe is aware, and is working on the problem. If you also file a Feature Request, they will have more proof that what I have said in the past IS needed. I know that that will not help you immediately, and would urge you to contact Adobe Customer Support. There might well be minor tweaks that you can implement now. Note: a true Adobe presence on almost any forum is a rare event. PrPro is so lucky to have Dennis dropping by, in his spare time. One great thing is that it gives us (the users) the opportunity to speak directly with Adobe on issues, such as this one. We also get the benefit of direct response. He says that the info is being passed to just the right person, and I feel much better about that. Now, we just have to be careful to not inundate him with trivial matters, and poorly thought out requests.

6.) Here, I have to use the Stop button on my camcorder to stop recording.  (The playback buttons don't work in Premiere at this part of the process.)

This indicates to me, that "Device Control" is not being fully implemented. You SHOULD be able to stop your camera from the Capture module, with full Device Control. I do not know if this is directly tied to the Permissions issue above, but would suspect that it just might be. Remember, that is only an uneducated guess on my part.

Good luck, and I hope that resolution to your issues might come from Adobe Customer Support,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
                  Fredacus Level 1

Thank you for your insight regarding this and your suggestion to submit a feature request. You are obviously looking out for the interests of the software's users which is quite commendable.

I have done the same by filling out the form.  As you said, I realize this won't help in the immediate sense, but obviously if Adobe does not hear about things like this, then they won't "fix" it.

I'll have to look into the possibility of contacting Adobe to see if there are any tweaks that could be done on our systems to avoid this error message showing up for students.

Thanks again for you help.

• 6. Re: PE7 Error right after capturing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for filling in the Feature Request. As you state, that is the best way to get Adobe's attention. They DO read these, and with products updages and upgrades, prioritize these. Now, I have no clue as to how easy, or difficult the re-coding would be. That will be part of the issue. Still, if they get enough requests, they will do their best.

Please let us know what Adobe CS has to say. It could be that there are tweaks, that we just do not know about, being no more than users. Please share anything that works for you and your situation.

Good luck,

Hunt