3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 7:03 AM by ak410

Adobe DLM crashes IE8 every time

Brooklee Level 1

I'm trying to download the newest version of Reader. When I click on "download", a message - "This website wants to install the following add-on: Adobe DLM ...." pops up at the top of of viewable window. That crashes IE8 every time!! suggestions, PLEASE!

• 1. Re: Adobe DLM crashes IE8 every time
          pwillener Level 8

Try downloading a version without the download manager.

Here is the latest installer version of Adobe Reader in English for Windows, without DLM, Adobe AIR, or Acrobat.com:

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/AdbeRdr910_en_US.exe

If you need a different version, locate it here on the FTP site ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/

Note that there are updates available to version 9.1.3.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe DLM crashes IE8 every time
            BillyMac. Level 1

Same problem, IE sucks! They really gotta do something with it, I hardly use it anymore.

• 3. Re: Adobe DLM crashes IE8 every time
              ak410 Level 1

If the computer is after 2008, then it might be about DEP(Data Execution Protection).

If your computer is before 2006 and have this problem, then it is not DEP issue as they do not have DEP support.

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks.

Turning it off might fix it(Need to restart IE8).

Turning it off disables DEP support for IE8, so your computer might become as vulnerable as the pre-2006 computer. Make sure you have anti-virus.

I think when they built for Win7, they tested with newer computers(DEP supported computer).

When they tested with XP, they tested with any XP machine they had(Non-DEP support).

Both cases worked, so they released it.

Then when someone put XP on newer machine(DEP supported machine such as new motherboard and CPU), the software failed because the software does not support DEP, and IE8 does not load Non-DEP software on DEP supported computer.