4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 8:41 AM by vooboo13

How to limit number of installations/activations with Director 11.5?

vooboo13 Level 1

We used to be able to use an XTRA that interacted with our licensing company to limit the number of activations a user has. This was back in the MX2004 days. However, since Director now is at 11.5 which can run our AS3 flash files, we no longer have a solution for this. Does anyone have a solution to limit the number of activations or installations a user can have when we distribute our products via CD/DVD?

• 1. Re: How to limit number of installations/activations with Director 11.5?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

We corresponded, on this forum, back in 2007 on exactly this issue. You were talking about Protection Plus/SOLO and I was telling you how I used glu32 to interface with their dll. This may not work in 11.5 since glu32 hasn't been updated (although you should still give it a try). However, they do have an ActiveX control that you can implement as a sprite and this should work in 11.5 (I fiddled with it briefly before deciding to go the dll route)

AFAIK Josh Chunick is working on a cross-platform (?) integrated option, though I don't know how far down the track he is - you could send him a PM to get his attention if he doesn't chip in.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to limit number of installations/activations with Director 11.5?
            Chunick Level 3

vooboo13 wrote:

We used to be able to use an XTRA that interacted with our licensing company to limit the number of activations a user has. This was back in the MX2004 days. However, since Director now is at 11.5 which can run our AS3 flash files, we no longer have a solution for this. Does anyone have a solution to limit the number of activations or installations a user can have when we distribute our products via CD/DVD?

The simplest method for the developer and customer is activation, in which the user has to activate their copy upon installation. The activation system could comprise of these steps:

1. Upon first-time launch of the software it would check and see the product has not been activated yet. At this point, it would prompt the customer to activate their product. If the user decide to activate the product then they would click the activation button. This would initiate the first-time activation process. It would check to see:

a) how many licenses the user has based off the product key (for more info on how to store information such as this in the product key, check out this link: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/security/AESProductKey.aspx - warning: it's a tough read, but does illustrate how you can save product info in the key itself)

b) if the number of activations exceeds the number of licenses

b1) if the number of activations does not exceed the number of licenses then record the following information:

i) product key

ii) increment activation

iii) generate a unique key based off the unique id's of specific computer parts (ie. HDD id, CPU id, etc.)

b2) if the number of activations does exceed the number of licenses then let the customer know and provide contact/deactivation information.

c) record the activation of the product on the client side, whether this was in a license file external to the application, the registry or somewhere else that's (relatively) secure.

2. Upon subsequent launches, the software would know it was activated and not need to contact the activation server.

Deactivation of the product would use the unique key generated from the id's of the specific computer parts to de-increment the activation value by 1, or however the database for the activation server is configured.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to limit number of installations/activations with Director 11.5?
              vooboo13 Level 1

Hey Sean, thanks for replying. Yes the Glu32 doesn't seem to be compatible with 11.5. It won't even show up in the list of xtras to add to a movie. I'll have to ask you more about going the ActiveX route since I'm unsure what this would involve.

• 4. Re: How to limit number of installations/activations with Director 11.5?
                vooboo13 Level 1

Thanks Josh for the detailed steps on how to do this. This may be the route we go with since it seems like a nice long-term solution.

When I get more into these steps I'll probably have to chime in here again to ask for more info.

EDIT: I read more into the article you linked. Would these steps be applicable in Director? Or would I have to wrap the Director projector with this unique serial key generator?