31 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 1:38 AM by Derun

PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...

luc otter Level 1

It's the third time now that I cannot open a saved file... I save incremently the different versions of our 26 minutes animated project.

I have no idea when/why it started - around once a month (the past 3 months) I open PREMIERE, open my latest file, and the progress bar hangs ...

I click cancel - ... then need to force quit PREMIERE... each time if I try to open an auto saved version with the same name I get the same result... lets's say I want to open #78 ... and it won't open ... then I try with #78-1, -2, -3 , -4 and -5 .. same thing ...

I try version #77 ... and the saved versions .. same problem ... version 76 opened...

I lost 2 days ...

last time Iost 2 days of work and tried 1 day to understand what happened ... used XML wrench ... did everything that is possible to try and make sense ... but here I am ... with a project that has 1600 to 1700 medias...

I regret I did not listen to people who proposed their FCP  station ...

... we started the production  3 years ago (animation is a long process)  with CS3 and it seemed to work well...

last year we upraded to CS4 .. and here I am really frustrated - I am even ready to pay to go back to CS3... or pay even more to go to FCP...

.. it is possible that something I did made this happen ... I work on 2 different setups: one is XP32 pro - 3.5 g ram - on a XW 8400 dual XEON 3ghz, the other setup is a DELL workstation - 8 g ram - same dual cpu 3ghz (5160) - and XP64.

WE use AE, PSD and PREMIERE. everything works fine ( never managed to have the open GL quadro 3500 cards work properly in AEthou on both machines) but PREMIERE... I am tired and feel tarpped as I will need to keep using premiere knowing that I may lose  some more days of work...

sigh ...

luc

• 1. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Nice story, although I lost a bit of interest after:

lets's say I want to open #78 ... and it won't open ... then I try with #78-1, -2, -3 , -4 and -5 .. same thing ...

I try version #77 ... and the saved versions .. same problem ... version 76 opened...

I lost 2 days ...

If you have further stories you want to share, I suggest you adjust your writing style a bit to make it even more interesting to your readers.

Was there anything else you wanted to share?

• 2. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are having trouble opening Saved Projects in PrPro, the first step is to try to Import one of those Projects into a new Project.

If you are getting such corruption on all of your .PRPROJ files, I'd quickly, and closely look at your HDD's, your controller and what might be happening to cause this.

Good luck, and let us know if Importing the PrProj file into a new Project/Sequence helps.

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum

• 3. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
              joshtownsend Level 2

Yeah Premiere is a pain with big projects. I know your gonna hate top hear this, but technically xp64 isn't supported by CS4. You'd do better to try installing Vista64 or win 7 64 (RC works fine).

Before you get pissed at me....I do sympathize. Premiere does not like big projects and having just edited a feature film split into 12-15 minute reels. I know your pain. I've been on Adobe's *** to make Premiere more friendly to PRO projects i.e. (complex stuff).

If this is a constant problem why didn't you check to make sure your last saved version opened up?

I have had similar problems. Once a project crashes sometimes AE or Premiere will stay open as a running process even after the program closes.

Best thing to do is restart and try again.

Also I found it best to spread everything around to as many harddrives as you can (do a search Harm did some posts explaining it)

Is it a certain file or type of file that it hangs on? Do you have a lot of After Effects comps in the project? Stills?

Again my biggest suggestion is bite the bullet and try out an OS that isn't nearly ten years old. There are tons articles where Adobe states over and over it is optimized for Vista 64 not Xp64. Not saying it is the solution but it couldn't hurt to try.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This entry in the PrPro-Wiki might give you some more tips and ideas.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                  luc otter Level 1

I'm sorry if my writing style does not suit you, and I regret that you did not try harder to understand my problem.

If you happen to read french i will be more than happy to give it another try...

.. I could suggest you adjust your manners...

.. I findyour tone  insulting and inapropriate in a technical fiorum

gros bisou quand même,

• 8. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    ok.. I will try ..

Good luck, and do look over the PrPro-Wiki bit that I also linked to.

Unlike Josh, I've had no issues with large Projects. I'm working on an 8 hour final opus, with 18 Sequences, and some have up to 28 Audio Tracks and 12 Video Tracks. So far, PrPro has been rock steady. Even loading from a FW-800 external, it only takes about 1-2 mins. for thousands of Assets, all on that external.

Hope that you can first resurrect your Saved Projects and then can find what the problem is. I'd study things like 'Delayed Write Failures, and similar. This ARTICLE might help you gather some clues, as to what is happening on your system, when the Save/Save_As is failing.

Let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

This is an English spoken forum. If you have difficulty understanding English, either learn the language or look for a French language forum to help you.

Si vous le souhaitez, s'il vous plaît expliquer clairement quel est le problème et  répondre aux 16 questions dans la liaison de données au fin du article.

• 10. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                        luc otter Level 1

(... I am not fluent in English - I do my best to be as clear as possible ...)

... I checked my PP files with XML wrench and the are clean - I changed the name of the folder where all my MEDIAs are, to see if PREMIERE gets to the point of locating the files ...but no ... it hangs again .. exact same behaviour...

I tried to open the project in both XP 32 pro and XP 64 .. exact same behaviour ...

tried to import ... again, hangs ...

I have a backup HD and the files won't open either...

I may accept I lost 2 (more) days... but I would REALLY love to know  what to do to avoid such problems in the future...

We will be editing this project up to the spring of 2010 .. We need to find a safe way of working in PREMIERE...

• 11. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I checked my PP files with XML wrench and the are clean

Good step, but unfortunately, XML Wrench did not turn up any problems that it could fix.

I changed the name of the folder where all my MEDIAs are, to see if PREMIERE gets to the point of locating the files

With all other things working fine, moved Media should get you a dialog screen, asking you to help PrPro locate those files. Still, changing the location, or the name of the location seems to indicate that there is something else happening.

I'm sorry that the normal tips & tricks did not work for you. Testing the files on two OS's, seems to indicate that there is a problem with the files, themselves.

For getting to the bottom of the problem, I'd definitely study my I/O sub-system, and how the OS manages it. By chance, are you editing to/from external HDD's? If so, what is the connection type? The I/O sub-system might not be the culprit, but it would be my first suspect. Any other file corruption, say images from Photoshop, etc.?

Last, I assume that you also tried some of your AutoSave files, and they experienced the same issue. Is that correct?

Best of luck, and if you do get it nailed, please report back.

Hunt

BTW - I am having no issues with your English. It's better than mine, but then I am from Mississippi...

• 12. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                            luc otter Level 1

•                         For getting to the bottom of the problem, I'd definitely study my I/O sub-system, and how the OS manages it. By chance, are you editing to/from external HDD's?

no... Internal SATA drive - 6 months old - proved to be very reliable...

• Any other file corruption, say images from Photoshop, etc.

none ... it's my best machine ever (precision 690 )

• Last, I assume that you also tried some of your AutoSave files, and they experienced the same issue. Is that correct?

correct ... what is "funny" is that all the files with the same name - the one located in the "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" folder

behave the same way ...

• Best of luck, and if you do get it nailed, please report back.

yes!... I will be so relieved that I will need to share this ....

thanks for your time !

luco

• 13. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                              luc otter Level 1
                              • Yeah Premiere is a pain with big projects. I know your gonna hate top hear this, but technically xp64 isn't supported by CS4. You'd do better to try installing Vista64 or win 7 64 (RC works fine).

just installed W7 2 days ago ...hopefully it will make my life easier...

• If this is a constant problem why didn't you check to make sure your last saved version opened up?

problem is not constant - happend 3 times since June .. and EVERYTHING seem fine .. no crash or error meassge .. just PP hanging when you try to open the file .. If I want to check a file I would need to close and open it - if it would not open ... I'd lose the thing ... not sur if I am clear here...

• Is it a certain file or type of file that it hangs on? Do you have a lot of After Effects comps in the project? Stills?

it hangs on the progress bar ... so I have no idea at all why it hangs ... and I have no AE comp in my timeline - no PSD comp ... some QT and some bitmaps - and wav files ... total close to 2000 media files...

• Again my biggest suggestion is bite the bullet and try out an OS that isn't nearly ten years old. There are tons articles where Adobe states over and over it is optimized for Vista 64 not Xp64. Not saying it is the solution but it couldn't hurt to try.

I have a dfeeling it won't help ...

.. thanks a lot for your time!

• 14. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Internal SATA drive - 6 months old - proved to be very reliable...

Good.

Now, did Event Viewer have any errors, or warnings, about the time that you did one of the bad Saves? If it was quite some time ago, I'd launch PrPro, and do some Saves, testing them, until you get a bad one. Then, match the Date/Time to any error messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                  Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Try bringing the *.prproj into After Effects (or better yet, a copy of the project) and exporting back out as a Premiere project (with a different name of course).

• 16. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Charles,

That is an interesting idea. I hope that it works here.

I'll be looking to see if this helps the OP, as it will give me one more "plan" to submit to posters with problems.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                      John Currie Level 1

Luco

Have you installed any different codecs or codec packs on your machines from the time you started your project to date?

I have two machines, both with PrePro CS3, one runs on Win XP Pro x32 the other on Win XP Pro x64. With few exceptions documented before I have no difficulties on either machine with PrePro. The one major problem I did have was eventually cured by winding back my x64 system to prior to installing a codec pack. The difficulties included, but not limited to, PrePro hanging and not opening a project saved before the codec pack installation, intermittent unexplained crashes etc.

NB CS 4 may be more problematic on Win XP Pro x64.

John

• 18. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                        luc otter Level 1
                                        • Now, did Event Viewer have any errors, or warnings, about the time that you did one of the bad Saves?

did not see anything of this kind on my personnal machine - I need to check on the other  computer...I am not sure on which machine I was working when the file got bad  ...

I don't think the "corruption" came from a bad save or from a hardware misfunctionning. This thing happened 3 times - I did not crash nor got an error message in PREMIERE - which proved to be pretty stable otherwise.. and I spend even more time in AE and PSD where in years I did not get any corrupted or problematic file...

• If it was quite some time ago, I'd launch PrPro, and do some Saves, testing them, until you get a bad one.

I kind of tried that. Since last time this happened (August) I tend to increment every 2 hours ... did this for 3 weeks and as everything seemed right, I went back to incrementing everyday .. and here I am .. having lost 2 more days ...

• 19. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                          luc otter Level 1
                                          Try bringing the *.prproj into After Effects (or better yet, a copy of the project) and exporting back out as a Premiere project (with a different name of course).

I tried this ... took a long time before an error about DYNAMIC LINK came...and nothing opened in AE...

It says DYNAMIC LINK is busy ...ïs says dynamic link only works in one way ... whatever that means ...?

I will go and try the same on the other xp pro 32 bit machine - will let you know if I make any progress...

thanks

• 20. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                            luc otter Level 1

John,

Luco

Have you installed any different codecs or codec packs on your machines from the time you started your project to date

?

... actually I upgraded QT .. don't know if the upgrade installed new codecs...? could that be a the problem ...

NB CS 4 may be more problematic on Win XP Pro x64.

I installed XP64 to have a clean environement with almost nothing else installed as the CS4 suite.. I did not have any crashes and the machine worked very well thanks to the 8gig of ram...had no stability problem at all...

I did use XP64/CS4 for almost one year now ... the only problemes are those PPro project that hang during opening ...the problems as I said are really rare but once a month is more than I can live with. (lost at least 4 days of work  in total...and am affraid it may happen again...)

thanks

• 21. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                              John Currie Level 1

Hi Luco

I've not had any problems with QT, but others say they have, so jury is out on that. It may be worth removing if you can live without it (see later).

Do you have your project files saved on a common/networked drive, if you are working between two machines? PrePro apparently has some issues with networked drives, again no personal experience.

Do you have the failure to open the project on both machines, the same project, with the same assets at the  (almost) same time? Is the project/asset collection on a moveable HDD? What are the assets? If it is animation I would assume QT Animaition codec, so removing QT may not be an option.

John

Message was edited by: John Currie I know you have partly covered this with the_wine_snob already, but forgive me, I do not know if you are experiencing the problem on one or two machines.

• 22. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                luc otter Level 1

Hello John,

Hi Luco

I've not had any problems with QT, but others say they have, so jury is out on that. It may be worth removing if you can live without it (see later).

..can' t remove QT .... I am working with mjpeg sequences and bitmaps ..

Do you have your project files saved on a common/networked drive, if you are working between two machines? PrePro apparently has some issues with networked drives, again no personal experience.

I do work on two different machines. On each machine all my media is on a separate drive, inside the machine (500g SATA drive)

when I go from one machine to the other I use an external drive where I backup/synchronize al my project.

Had no problem of corrupted files - my current mirror - syncronized backup is almost 50 gig big and I everything else works as it should (AE files, WAV files, TOONBBOM files, text files, .......) thousands of file with no curruption or loss since over one year.

Do you have the failure to open the project on both machines, the same project, with the same assets at the  (almost) same time?

same problem .. I had a chance to try on XP32 pro, XP64, and Win7.. exact same behaviour... the load project preogress bar stalls... no error message...

As I said earlier I checked the pproj files with XML WRENCH and it looks fine ...

Thanks, I appreciate your help ...

I will paly a bit around and search in the event viewer of the other machine if I can find anew clue ... I need to understand  what happened between the last working project and the first "corrupt"  project ...

luco

John
                                                • 23. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucio,

Some folk have begun experiencing problems with Adobe software and the QT 7.6.2 & 7.6.3 players. I'm still on 7.5.5, and it's been rock-stable. In many other cases, rolling-back to 7.5.5 cured most ills. That would be the first thing that I would try.

Now, that error message about AE DL (upthread a bit) puzzles me. Does your Project have any DL's to AE Comps? Some folk have had issues with DL in PrPro, if AE was not running in the background. Have you tried that?

I've forgotten now, so pardon me if this has been covered, but did you get any specific error messages, when you tried to Open your PrPro Project in PrPro? Anything, or it just refused to do it?

I know I am not being much help, but am thinking as fast as I can.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

..can' t remove QT .... I am working with mjpeg sequences and bitmaps ..

Quicktime is not required for either.

• 25. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Luc,

I'm joining in rather late and haven't read everything to date.  Let me give you a couple of basic tips in case they haven't been tried yet

Throw away your preference files - user folder/my documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/  Take the 4.0 folder and drag it to your desktop.  Or just throw it away.  When PRemiere Pro launches again, it will create a new one.

I saw something about big projects - the biggest thing I can recommend (STRONGLY!) is to have a 64bit OS and lots of memory.  This has made a big difference for many customers.  64-bit goodness is the future and CS4 makes use of greater memory addressing to allow it to see more than 4GB of memory on a 64bit Os.

I'll try to read more later and get back with any other suggestions.

Regards,

Dennis (Denis in French)

• 26. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                        luc otter Level 1
                                                        Hi Dennis,

Throw away your preference files - user folder/my documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/  Take the 4.0 folder and drag it to your desktop.  Or just throw it away.  When PRemiere Pro launches again, it will create a new one.

Just tried it ... same behaviour ... progress bar stalls .. .

yeasterday evening I installed the PPro trial on my macbook - under OSX ... and the progress bar goes a bit further ... for a moment I believed I recovered my file.. but now - still waited for over one hour, as the machine was not frozen ... but nothing more happened and I needed to force quit the app...

I saw something about big projects - the biggest thing I can recommend (STRONGLY!) is to have a 64bit OS and lots of memory.  This has made a big difference for many customers.  64-bit goodness is the future and CS4 makes use of greater memory addressing to allow it to see more than 4GB of memory on a 64bit Os.

Yes ... this is my only real hope ... Both the computer I work on are now 64 bits/8 gig of ram  - one is W7 (was xp64 before) , the other is XP64 (was xppro 32)

... it is possible that the 32 bit machine is (was) the culprit...

... and maybe the anounced 4.2 PPro upgrade may resolve whatever problem I have ...?

I'll try to read more later and get back with any other suggestions.

Thanks a lot ! any help is gtreatly apreciated !

regards !

luc the Luke!

Regards,

Dennis (Denis in French)

• 27. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                          Derun Level 1

You are not alone Luc, I have the exact same problem.

I'm editing a 4 min of 720p pal animation project.. Not a BIG PROJECT is it ? Only 4 minutes long.. Only 1 video track a music track and

sound effects track. No effects, no transitions, no after effects imports no nothing..

All my renders are nothing but TGA sequences (which eliminates the codec issue).. I've been trying to finish editing it for 10 days now but fat chance of that happening with premiere hey ?

After editing 1 min of video I saved my project and went to bed.. Next day it would stall at progress bar for about 15 mins before I was forced to close down premiere and reboot my pc.

I recovered whatever I could from my auto-save files and continued, but same thing happened at about two and a half minutes of my project..

And finaly at 4 mins happens again which pissed me off and forced me to come and notify someone about this on this forum..

Is there a way to correct this ?

From what I read, premiere just messes up regardless of project size or content, I know of no other software package that can not open it's own project files..

What is the solution to this ?

• 28. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This FAQ Entry from the PrPro-Wiki might be useful.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 29. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                              luc otter Level 1

Derun wrote:

What is the solution to this ?

sorry to hear about all your problems...

... What I did is give up!...

I usually never do... but here I believe I tried everything and just needed to finish my film.

I lost a total of 4 weeks over a year...

I ended up moving the edit to Final cut...had to go back a few days in my files to find an old project that opened.

it took a few days as we have a 26 mintes animation film with thousands of medias, and all does not connect perfectly, but it is feasable.

I was lucky ourproduction had FCP available...

We used automatic duck to import the file into FCP.

... funny thing I don't really like FCP... for several stuff I prefer  PREMIERE...but there's no way I will go back to premiere

until I hear a explanation from ADOBE and see a fix that fixes this actual problem...

sorry I could not help .. good luck...

• 30. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                                luc otter Level 1

Thanks,

It is an  interesting page...

at the time I had those problems I  did try everything written in this page, and even more drastic stuff (buy a new OS - reinstall... downgrade - upgarde - tried OSX also...)

I am 99% positive it is not a corrupt project we're dealing with here...

A serious and rare  bug would be my guess.

I found  several other persons who got the same problem ...  not much ... not enough for Adobe to work on this problem (?)

Luc

the_wine_snob wrote:

This FAQ Entry from the PrPro-Wiki might be useful.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 31. Re: PREMIERE CS4 won't open my recent projetcts!!  3rd time ...
                                                                  Derun Level 1

It is my opinion over the past 20 years I've been using Adobe products is that, the only product adobe has that can be used as a prefessional tool

is Photoshop.

Premiere and After Effects both never really had what it takes to move into Professional arena. Closest they came to Professionals was to call their product "PRO"..

I usualy only use Photoshop from Adobe. I only use premiere to bring together my animation footage and see if they work one after another, I always send my final editing to a professional suite.

I use Digital Fusion for my post work.

No matter what Adobe calls their products, they are way too far from being professional tools.

How idiotic is to create a package that is unable to open its own project files ?

Say that is a bug.. How about the fact, you start a project 25 fps. All your settings are 25 fps, yet you import an animation sequence and it imports as 30fps ??

Now you have to one by one go and interpert the footage, and manually type 25 fps for each sequence to become 25fps.

Not only that, after doing that your render bar becomes yellow, not gren not red, yellow. Which means Premiere thinks it does not need rendering

but it never playes it real-time either..

Dude I could go on and on about these things about Adobe products..

So my advice to you is, Photoshop only from adobe.. the rest is total junk...