1 2 3 Previous Next 84 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 7:49 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center

cpp10 Level 1

When I open PE8 I get a message Windows Media Center Receiver Service Stopped.

When I try to do anything in Windows Media Center in locks up then crashes. This did not happen with PE7.

• 1. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ensure that your operating system (whatever it is) is updated by manually going to Windows Update and ensure that you have the latest Quicktime. Then uninstall and reinstall the software.

And, if you're still having problems, I recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support with your issues. It's important that they know about these kinds of issues.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414984?tstart=0

• 2. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
            A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

Have you been following my additions to a thread that I have running in this forum on Premiere Elements 8 First Look. I recently added an "Add On" dealing with my experiences with "Disable Tracking of Information". That thread is getting long, so you will have to scroll down to reach this latest add on which describes the issue, the how to for "Disable Tracking of Information", and how it worked for me.

You can also find the details in the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF under headers Adobe Premiere Elements workspace/About the workspace/Welcome Screen.

Are you working with a registered/purchased Premiere Elements 8 or a tryout Premiere Elements 8?

If you feel comfortable with the instructions given, I would suggest you try them and see if they resolve your issue also. It worked to get rid of the periodic booting of my unused A drive (3 1/2  Floppy Disc). If not, we will think on this some more.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
              cpp10 Level 1

AT

I tried your suggestion - did not work.

I restored my PC to before installation of PE8 and tried Windows Media Center - it worked.

Installed PE8 and tried Windows Media Center - it did not work

Tried your fix and WMC did not work.

• 4. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

I have checked through the AdobeTech Note titled Troubleshoot Premiere Elements 8 installation problems (Window) and have not found a specific reference to the Windows Media Center Edition which is supposed to be supported by this version.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51584.html

But check out the above anyway just to make sure.

I was hoping that someone else with Premiere Elements 8 and the Windows Media Center Edition would share his/her experiences with them with us, but...

Do you have a tryout or purchased version of Premiere Elements 8? I will continue to be on the watch for a suggested remedy to your situation. But, it would be to your advantage to contact Adobe Technical Service. It has always had a policy of offering free technical service for installation issues related to registered, purchased, and current versions of Premiere Elements.

If I come across any information on this matter, I will post it immediately. Please let us know the outcome of your discussions with Adobe Technical Services. I am assuming that all your drivers are updated and computer optimized. You could try operating the Premiere Elements 8 with "Enable GPU Playback" unchecked (Edit Menu/Preferences/General) to see if that makes any difference.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                  cpp10 Level 1

purchased version on dvd

tried the link - I am good as far as what it said

adobe gave me a link tried it I was good there and the hot fix was not for my system

This is getting interesting. the only saving grace is that I hardly use Windows Media Center.

CPP

• 6. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

I will keep searching. Hopefully Premiere Elements 9 will not be ready for release before I find the key to this Premiere Elements 8 issue.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                      lexcubfan Level 1

Just wanted to let you know that I have also encountered this problem with Media Center. It was working fine until I purchased and downloaded PE8. I've made sure my Vista system is at the current level as well as reinstalling Quicktime..No luck so far.

• 8. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lexcubfan

Thank you for contributing your experiences. Since you have a purchased, registered copy of the current version, Premiere Elements 8, have you contacted Adobe Technical Service to ask them about this. In the past, Adobe Technical Service has been offering free technical service to users who have a purchased, registered copy of the latest version. So, you should take advantage of that opportunity as soon as possible.

Windows XP Media Center Edition is listed as a supported system, so I am not sure what the issue may be.

Please keep us updated on your progress. I will continue to look for answers to the problem. I have Windows XP Professional SP3.

If anyone is running Premiere Elements 8 in Windows XP Media Center Edition successfully, it would be helpful to hear from you and compare notes with lexcubfan and cpp10.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Hopefully Premiere Elements 9 will not be ready for release before I find the key to this Premiere Elements 8 issue.

ATR,

I highly doubt that it will be more than hours!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

What video card do you have? By any chance, have you downloaded and installed the following NVIDIA graphic driver update recently?

http://download.cnet.com/nVidia-Graphics-Driver-Windows-XP-Media-Center-Edition/3000-2108_ 4-11091867.html

Just wondering if all those with your issue have fallen into the same pitfalls as those with the transitions/Premiere Elements/NVIDIA issues and fixes as reported cyber?????

More to follow. I am currently out looking for other Premiere Elements 8 (or other version) users who are using the Windows XP Media Center Edition and these programs.

ATR

• 11. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

This is the link to cyberioten's thread on Transitions/Premiere Elements/NVIDIA video cards

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494578?tstart=0

ATR

• 12. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                lexcubfan Level 1

This is my current configuration where I'm having problems w/media center

Vista Home Premiun SP 2
                                AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor (2.6)
                                Memory 2G
                                NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (driver date of 9/27/09...versino 8 16 11 9107)

I have submitted a problem to Adobe but no response yet...

• 13. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                  lexcubfan Level 1

Just wanted to let everyone know I uninstalled PE8 and Media center works again....

• 14. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                    cpp10 Level 1

ATR

Here is the information on my PC

Sony VGC-LT38E, INTEL Core 2 duo cpu T8300 @ 2.4GHz, front side bus speed: 800MHz, L2 cache 3MB

DDR2 4GB PC2-5300 (2GBx2) 667 MHz; video NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GI GPU with 1535 MB, RAM: 256 MB; chipset:mobile Intel PM965 Express chipset; with the latest driver version 7.15.11.5665 (this according to Sony)

Runs on Vista Home Premium.

I had PE7 with no problem.

Problem occured after uninstalling PE7 and installing PE8

I have contact Adobe support - Answer: they are working on it.

I am at the point that PE8 is going to be uninstalled. And if I decide to Adobe again I will reinstall PE7 since I still have the disc.

As far as I am concerned Adobe has two weeks to come up with a solution. Then I will be doing what I wrote in previous sentence. This is a final decision.

CPP

• 15. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                      lexcubfan Level 1

I received an answer for Adobe on this problem...."I understand that Windows Media Center (wmc) is not able to play TV
                                      after installing Premiere Elements 8 (pe8).

We do not have any information on a conflict between the two programs.

This may be because of conflicts between the two programs or between one
                                      and something else that is affecting the other. Below I have provided a
                                      link to a technical document that may help resolve this issue. To
                                      access the document you can copy and paste this link into the address
                                      bar of your web browser.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html

My suggestion is to reinstall PE8 and call your support for wmc."

I'm not too happy with this reponse as everything worked fine before installing thier software and works fine after uninstalling it.....and now they tell me to go somewhere else to see why it doesn't work - I'm close to requesting a refund for this software!

• 16. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it does not help, as far back as PrPro 2.0 and Pinnacle Studio 9, there were problems with the Media Center Editions (MCE) of Windows. The OS was XP-MCE then. Neither program ran well on the MCE editions, but did so on XP-Pro and XP-Home. I do not recall anyone ever getting a smooth fit with either of those NLE's and MCE, but maybe they just never posted of their success.

Back when I had a Toshiba laptop with XP-MCE and Pinnacle Studio 9, I had to basically kill most of the extra MCE features to get it to work. In my case, this was not a big deal, as I did not use the MCE features.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lexcubfan

I understand your reasoning and headache on this problem which is shared by several, if not all.

I have at least one thread actively looking for users of Windows XP Media Center Edition and Premiere Elements 8 who have had success with the two. So far, no responses, except negative ones.

I was surprised by Adobe T/S's response since I have already posted that Adobe TechNote for the attention of Premiere Elements 8 users. I would have hoped that it would have an in-house updated version on the topic. Nonetheless, it is a good idea to go through it, if you have not already. But, I would have not suggested afterwards calling the Media Center people first, but rather afterwards Adobe T/S first.

Have you looked for any possible involvement of the NVIDIA driver? The video card driver update for Media Center would definitely be a valid and appropriate question for the Media Center people or NVIDIA or whoever manufactures your video card.

I am working silently in the background to squeeze out as much information as possible in spite of the fact that I just have Window XP Professional SP3. I have a NVIDIA video card, but I have not updated since I got in about a year ago.

To be continued....

ATR

• 18. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                            cpp10 Level 1

that is it

BYE PE8

cpp

• 19. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cpp10

Sorry, we could not get a positive answer for you at this time.

But, you should be able to get a full refund for Premiere Elements 8 from Adobe.

After all this, will your Premiere Elements 7 and Windows XP Media Center Edition function successfully together at this time?

Your decision will not discourage me from looking for an answer. But, your decision seems the only way to make progress with your video editing and not be consumed by nuisance details of a new version.

Hoping the you have time to update us on your progress,

ATR

• 20. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                cpp10 Level 1

PE7 WORKED BEFORE.

I got PE8 as a free upgrade for purchsing PE7 within the time allotment for free upgrade.

As I said PE7 was working just fine

Keep at it. Maybe I could go back to PE8 sometime in the future

thank you for your effort

cpp

• 21. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                  edbettin Level 1

Confirming that upon and during installation of PE8 purchased downloaded version, Windows Media Center Receiver (WMCR) Service stopped working with a notice from Windows. The WMCR can be restarted in services, but stops working within a minute with an identical message as presented upon PE8 installation.  All my drivers are up to date and all recommendations posted have been tried without success.  It seems clear that this is an Adobe problem, one which no one seems to want to acknowledge and solve.  Previously, machine had PE3 installed and WMCR worked just fine. The only thing changed on the machine is the installation of PE8.  I can not be positive about this, but I believer the WMCR stopped working during the portion of the install for the PE8 file manager, even before PE8 was installed.  Please advise. WMCR.jpg

• 22. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

edbettin

I am going to need your help on this idea which may be great or a great dud.

Keeping in mind that I am a Windows XP Professional type person who has never seen a Windows XP Media Center Edition (including Windows Media Center Receiver Service)...does that Windows Media Center Receiver Service have a Media Converter associated with it? If so, can you remove that Media Converter and tell me what happens to this issue between Premiere Elements 8 and the Windows Media Center Receiver Service?

If this has impact on the issue, we will address the need for a Media Converter next.

ATR

• 24. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

edbettin

In your last post, there is nothing in the message area.

Is that a strong negative to my idea or just a forum messaging issue?

I did not mean to leave you speakless. Sometimes I get carried away with some of my troubleshooting ideas.

I will be watching for your comments and progress.

ATR

• 25. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                        edbettin Level 1

ATR:  First, I'm running Vista, which probably makes things worse!  Below is a screen shot of all the services associated with the Windows Media Center:Sent.jpg

I have one other Microsoft program installed, which is Windows Media Encoder.  This is NOT associated with Windows Media Center, and is a stand-alone program that among other things does video file conversions.  What it is and does can be seen here:  http://is.gd/43F1N    This is a rarely used program, and has co-existed with PE3 with no problems.

I have now uninstalled that program, and upon re-boot, the WMCR service crashed, even before the machine was fully booted up, so that program is not the problem.  On reading the Adobe forums ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/2300188#2300188 ) this has been a problem for some time.   Any other ideas?

Ed

• 27. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

edbettin

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938928

Have you seen the above link?

I could not get the link in your last post to work, so I am not sure if this is what you were referring to.

I am still searching.

ATR

http://forums.adobe.com/people/edbettin

• 28. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                            edbettin Level 1

Here's the complete link to the product I uninstalled:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

(The other link just refers back to these posts, as I sent my reply by email) (both of the links above in the post work just fine.)

No,I don't have two TV tuners, just one, and it worked fine until install of PE8.  In the years I've had this machine, which has tons of software on it, including many Adobe programs, nothing has ever caused the MC receiver to stop working.  This is so clearly a PE8 problem.  I am amazed at how many efforts are being taken to somehow absolve Adobe.  I repeat, the MC receiver crashed during the PE8 installation, and according to many posts in this forum, the problem stops when you take out PE8, which seems pretty convincing to me.  Any other ideas?  If I take PE8 out, and MC works again, will that convince you?

Ed

• 29. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

The Internet is loaded with reports of erroring with the Windows Media Center Receiver Service function that are not related to Premiere Elements 8.

My comments have not been intended to absolve anything (including Adobe) from the frustrating causitive issue that you and others are facing trying to get to use Premiere Elements 8 in a Windows XP Windows Media Center environment. But, in light of the history of the Windows Media Center Receiver Service, I was exploring looking for a feature in it that was a common target for the Receiver Service conflicts with other programs, including Premiere Elements 8.

I would take issue with Adobe for not having looked into this possible issue in the pre-release Premiere Elements 8 since Adobe:

a. does have Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition on its support list

and

b. Windows Media Center Edition does include the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service".

But, all that does not go to cause and a resolution, but rather marketing claims maybe without support for them. Does Adobe have the QA data to support the claim or not?? Will at least one person or organization, such as Adobe, come forward to state "I have Premiere Elements 8 installed on Windows XP Media Center Edition with the Recevier Service and everything works fine"??

There several options:

1. Adobe post support data for claim so that we are not troubleshooting a no win issue. Did it ever work for them or did they just not look?

2. User return Premiere Elements for refund.

3. User try to target component(s) of Windows Media Center Receiver Service and Premiere Elements 8 that are in conflict. From the looks of it with other programs, this is a longer and more frustrating task often characterized by trade offs and workaround or no answers.

4. User contact Microsoft for possible HotFixes to issue.

Whatever you personal decision, I will continue to stay tuned to the issue.

ATR

• 30. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                edbettin Level 1

I'm sure you are aware that Microsoft will not attempt to solve problems with Vista's Media Center.  There's no question it is a ******* program unfortunately linked into the operating system and not a stand-alone program, or else we might have some diagnostic avenues to follow.  Media Center has many faults, but at least it has worked to display TV, which it no longer does.

Perhaps you can recommend another program to display TV from a tuner board, as that's all I use Media Center for, or know of any such programs which are known to be compatible with PE8, as that's an issue which has not yet been proven between PE8 and Media Center?

I see you are trying to find ANYONE for whom this combination works. I'll be interested to know if you find anyone.  In the meantime, I'll try removing PE8 to see if that fixes the problem with Media Center.

• 31. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                  lexcubfan Level 1

Thought I would let you know the latest response from the support team (this is after I responded asking them to reconsider looking at this problem)

It still bothers me that they state it may be caused by codecs installed by PE8 and I should run a monitoring program to see what changes their software is making to my system but that the problem is still WMC. Think I'll follow others and ask for a refund.

Their response:

.....I understand that your Windows Media Center (WMC)stops working when
                                                                  Premiere Elements (PE) 8 is installed.

This may be because of codecs installed with the Adobe program. You
                                                                  could try running a monitoring program (e.g. ashampoo) while installing
                                                                  PE to see what changes it makes to your system. WMC may have an option
                                                                  to ignore listed codecs. Adobe has a document on how to temporarily
                                                                  disable codecs. Below I have provided a link to this document. To
                                                                  access the document you can copy and paste this link into the address
                                                                  bar of your web browser.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404892.html

The problem is with WMC since it is losing functionality. Unfortunately
                                                                  we do not have WMC and do not have any information about it.

You can submit a bug report for PE. The engineers will want to know
                                                                  exactly what is happening, i.e. how WMC is failing and the exact text of
                                                                  any error messages.

I hope this information helps to resolve your issue. If you require
                                                                  further assistance with this issue, please update your web case with
                                                                  complete details, including what steps you have applied and any error
                                                                  messages you are receiving.

• 32. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                    edbettin Level 1

Guess what?  Uninstalling PE8 restores functionality to Media Center!

Thanks for the new info.  The option of disabling codecs is interesting, but does not say if I'm disabling codes included in Windows normally or those added by PE8.  After removing PE8 there are 12 VIDC.* codecs.  Is it suggested I disable all of these?   Or, reinstall PE8 to see if there are any new ones, and then disable those?  I disabled the one shown in the video, and MC still works OK.

I submitted a case to Adobe yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet.

vidc.jpg

• 33. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

Thanks for your continued troubleshooting.

In your present troubleshooting described, have you had the time to determine just how many new codecs are added to the mix when Premiere Elements 8 is reinstalled?

ATR

• 34. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                        edbettin Level 1

No, that was to be my  next step and why I kept a record of what's there now.  But it's also difficult to tell if PE8 REPLACES one of the existing ones.   The broader question is what else stops working when you disable codecs?  And there's no easy way to find out.  But PE8 installation takes quite a while, so maybe later today.

Do you know which AShampoo tracking program could be used?  They have a $10 special on this week!!

Ed

• 35. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

I am not 100.0000 % sure, but, from the Ashampoo description, it looks like Ashampoo HDD Control could be the one that was referred to in an earlier post that talked about monitoring your system during installation of the program.

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_0065___USD.htm

Check it out and see if you agreedthat is the Ashampoo product referred to.

ATR

• 36. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                            nealeh Level 5

edbettin wrote:

Perhaps you can recommend another program to display TV from a tuner board, as that's all I use Media Center for

Most TV Card vendors have their own TV tuner software - check the software disks that came with the  tuner. What brand is your TV Card?

Cheers,
                                                                            --
                                                                            Neale
                                                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 37. Re: PE8 causes problem with Windows Media Center
                                                                              nealeh Level 5

edbettin wrote:

Do you know which AShampoo tracking program could be used?  They have a $10 special on this week!!

I don't know about Ashampoo but you could try the Sysinternals utility Process Monitor software - it's free.

Cheers,
                                                                              --
                                                                              Neale
                                                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 38. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                                edbettin Level 1

Card is an ATI TV Wonder 650.  However, the ATI software is terrible, and most of the popular software is also so bloated and glitzy it is impossible to use unless you have nothing else on the machine.  There was a good free one some years ago, but it wouldn't work with this board.  That's why I've ended up using Windows Media Center, since I couldn't get rid of it anyway!  Still looking for something better, hoping the Windows 7 is an improvement.

PS Edit:  Free program is Descaler ( http://www.dscaler.org/dscaler4.htm )  I think the problem before was it didn't work with Vista, but now seems to, except audio is sometimes quite choppy.  But I do get TV with PE8 installed.

• 39. Re: PE8 causes problem with Widows Media Center
                                                                                  edbettin Level 1

Thanks to all who tried to help solve this problem. Adobe has  media center machines, but none with a TV card, so they can't really check out this problem.  I'm giving up and going back to using Descaler.

After reinstalling Descaler TV program and remembering how to set all of its myriad settings, I have it working very nicely.  So, rather than fight to make a really inferior program (WMC) work, I'll just keep PE8 installed and use it with the completly compatible Descaler program.

Thanks, all again.

Ed

1 2 3 Previous Next