7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 5:03 PM by jl2000

what format for iDVD?

jl2000 Level 1

I'm using AE CS4.  I render out QT with"None" as the compressor for my 2minute motiion graphic.  It looks great.  Turns out that iDVD doesn't see it! And when I open it in Quicktime the attributes panel says it has no video track!  It's got something because it's over a GB.

What is the best quality that iDVD will accept?

Or should I change my process? I want to avoid re-compressing and losing quality.  Do I misunderstand something??

Thanks for answering this question

JL

MacbookPro, iDVD 7 (iLife09), AE CS4

• 1. Re: what format for iDVD?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

JL:

iDVD should take any standard Quicktime codec. This includes "None". Odd that it doesn't work.

Note however, that "None" is an extremely inefficient way of storing uncompressed video. It will take twice (or more) the file size of other uncompressed/lossless Quicktime codecs that are just as good in terms of quality. Quicktime PNG (not the still image format, but PNG-encoded Quicktime files) and Quicktime Animation are two such options.

So you could try any of these two, and iDVD should take them happily.

Regarding your desire to avoid re-compression - some bad news, or rather a reality check.

DVD-Video is the name of the standard for discs that are compatible with set-top DVD players.

You can't have Quicktime or AVI files in them. They actually loose a rather lossy compression scheme, MPEG-2 video at a rather low datarate.

An application like iDVD masks this by letting you import Quicktime files and it will transcode to MPEG-2 for you.

So, yes, recompression will happen. But DVD experts will also tell you that compressed formats look better when you use the best possible (uncompressed if possible) source file. So it's a good thing you are giving iDVD a very high quality file as a source, even it will end up becoming highly compressed MPEG-2 video.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: what format for iDVD?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Actually you may fall victim to some weird bug in iDVD. If the source file exceeds certain data rates (which happens with uncompressed stuff), it seems to interpret this as too high data rates of already transcoded material. Go figure. Therefore using an alternate CoDec may be advisable. Strangely, most people seem to get the best results with an already compressed format - H.264, so this may be worth a try. just make sure the original file has high enough data rates to not get too many compression artifacts.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: what format for iDVD?
              jl2000 Level 1

Adolfo - Thank you.  That was very helpful.

There's no question now that iDVD is not behaving at all.

The way I've understood the process - the bigger the file the better looking the outcome but I will gladly try Animation and PNG.

Yes - the reality check - I understand that iDVD (and other DVD authoring s/w?) will mangle a file into mpeg2.  But if it comes out looking great on TV - it's worth it.

Just to make sure - I need some clarification please - you said:

"They actually loose a rather lossy compression scheme, MPEG-2 video at a rather low datarate."

Did you mean "They actually USE..." or is there something else ?  Your explanation was so helpful I wouldn't want to misunderstand any of it.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: what format for iDVD?
                jl2000 Level 1

Mylenium - I am thoroughly disappointed with Apple releasing this "dog" of a  version of iDVD.

I'm surprised what you're saying about H264. I know it really crunches files down and I would have never thought it being a good choice for making a DVD...but I will gladly try it.

When you said :

" just make sure the original file has high enough data rates to not get too many compression artifacts."

...the "original file" you refer to is the one out of AE with "None" as it's compressor - do I understand that right?  This would be the "fat" file I would then re-encode H264?

Thanks again.

JL

• 5. Re: what format for iDVD?
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  The way I've understood the process - the bigger the file the better looking the outcome but I will gladly try Animation and PNG.

There are many cases where this is true, and others where the file size to quality ratio is not so obvious.

Animation and PNG are identical to "None" at a fraction of the file size, because they use lossless data shrinking techniques while keeping the image quality untouched. People who are concerned with these things, test this by overlaying (say) a PNG-encoded file on top of a None file and check if they are identical when performing a difference operation. This is why Animation and PNG are considered mathematically lossless.

Just to make sure - I need some clarification please - you said:

"They actually loose a rather lossy compression scheme, MPEG-2 video at a rather low datarate."

Did you mean "They actually USE..." or is there something else ?  Your explanation was so helpful I wouldn't want to misunderstand any of it.

Yes, sorry. I meant they actually USE

That's what happens when you type this fast.

• 6. Re: what format for iDVD?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

" just make sure the original file has high enough data rates to not get too many compression artifacts."

...the "original file" you refer to is the one out of AE with "None" as it's compressor - do I understand that right?  This would be the "fat" file I would then re-encode H264?

Yes, of course. If you create your H.264 with 5 MBit/sec or higher, the compression is nearly invisible, so it may be good enough for creating a suitably decent DVD output. iDVD seems smart enough to build on that existing compression and only transcode the GOPs isntead of doing a full recode, that's probably why it works so well - within what you can expect of such a program, of course.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: what format for iDVD?
                      jl2000 Level 1

Thanks All.