8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 1:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?

rproulxmtl Level 1

I'm new to PE7 and have already had (stumbling along) success playing with files from a 'Flip UltraHD', a 'Kodak Zi8' and a 'Canon G10'. So far all's well.

One think that I'm having an issue with is placing a Canon G10's MOV file in PE7. When viewed in QuickTime the MOV video image is very sharp. But as soon as I bring it into PE7 its quality visibly drops.

I've searched this forum a bit and found reference to an MPEG Streamclip video converter that apparently solved one user's issues with fuzzy videos. But I'm wondering why a video simply imported into PE7 would lose any quality?

I'm pretty familiar with digital image editing software and know that simply opening an image does not affect its quality.. only saving it in a lossy format would do that. But the high quality AVI file I made from the MOV original looks fuzzy.

Does Premiere Pro offer features that PE7 lacks which would avoid this fuzziness?

Russell

• 1. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
          Pure2 Level 1

I believe that PE7 only shows a rough representation of your video in the monitor window to maintain performance. This may improve if you render the video by pressing the enter key. It should not effect the final output quality. I have the Canon G10 but dont use it for my video.

• 2. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video from non-traditional sources, like pocket "webbie" (Flip) camcorders and still cameras needs a special procedure before you use it in Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
              rproulxmtl Level 1

Thanks Steve. I'll try out the converters and see what difference they make.

fwiw I did an audio mix for a Tai Chi video my wife made with her G10. She's the one who noticed the loss of quality. Her testing with iMovie08 on her Mac did not degrade the original, so I began to asssume it was a PE7 issue. For now she's just taken my audio track and grafted it onto her original video using iMovie ad it looks as good as the original.

I'll pop back with a report of any success.

Russell.

• 4. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?

That doesn't surprise me, since iMovie uses MOVs natively.

The only MOV codec that Premiere Elements uses natively is the DV codec.

But converting to DV-AVI should make a big difference!

You'll get even better results if you buy Quicktime Pro from Apple ($29). Not only is it a great converter, but it also natively edits MOVs.

• 5. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Russell,

As has been pointed out, the Program Monitor in PrE is but a preview. However, the display can be "improved" upon. If you Rt-click on the Program Monitor, and choose 100% (or 200% for critical work), and then view a Rendered Timeline, you will get a better display. By default, the Program Monitor is set to Fit, and degredation does take place. I usually work at 100%, and go to 200% (you will have to scroll around) for critical work. If I have any concerns, even looking at the Timeline at 100%, I'll either output to a DVD RW for viewing on my TV, or will feed my Program Monitor through my FW deck to a CRT monitor. Do not recall if PrE allows the FW out to, say a video camera hooked up to an analog CRT monitor, but PrPro does.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - I edit .MOV files fine, though all of these were created with the Animation CODEC. This is what I specify, when clients, or designers are on the Mac, and I need their output on my PC.

• 6. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
                    rproulxmtl Level 1

I got QuicktimePro to cut to the chase and apparently use "the best convertor" for MOV files. The AVI it creates is still noticeably fuzzier when viewed in Windows Media Player compared to the MOV version viewed in Quicktime.

It's fuzzier before bringing it in to PE7:

compare2.jpg

Here are the QT-Pro export settings I used:

(Didn't see a frame size listed)
                    Export as Movie to AVI
                    Compression DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
                    Motion (fps) -> 29.97
                    Compressor Quality -> Best
                    Scan Mode -> Interlaced
                    Aspect Ratio -> 4:3

Is there perhaps another 'export to' format that would be better?

Perhaps an 'export to' format from iMovie?

Or are we left with the reality that Apple uses a secret sauce (Applesauce <g>) in its MOV format that can only be appreciated in their own viewer?

Russell

• 7. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?

It's more likely that the DV-AVI that Quicktime Pro produces is interlaced (as it should be, since you're planning to edit it in Premiere Elements) and that the fuzziness you're seeing is Windows Media Player de-interlacing it for display on your computer. (Computer screens, as you probably know, are not interlaced while most TVs are.)

When you export your final movie from Premiere Elements (after using that DV-AVI as your source) your results should be excellent.

• 8. Re: Why does MOV imported to PE7 lose quality?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for that. I had not considered the Interlaced vs Progressive issue - DUH!

Russell,

To test this, burn a DVD RW* as a test, and play that on your TV via your set-top player. How does the material look there?

Good luck,

Hunt

* the reason to TEST on rewritable media is to keep from burning "coasters." This is NOT for delivery, but only to test.