2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 9:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting 5.1 ac3 audio from Premiere Pro CS4

AmberCEGraham

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody can help me out with exporting 5.1 ac3 audio from Premiere CS4 version 4.1.0?

I have a 3min long HD 5.1 clip that I need to cut down to 60seconds and add fade transitions to. The final clip will be used in a media player with very specific spec - the clip needs to remain HD 1080p with a frame rate of 29.97 and a maximum CBR of 38. The audio must be 5.1 aac. The format can be mpeg 2 or h.264. The overall quality loss needs to be minimal.

Up to now I have been cutting up footage that only needs to be stereo and I found the best way to to this while keeping quality was to use Prem Pro and export as mpeg 2 1080p 29.97, quality:5, bitratre: CBR 38, audio as mpeg layer 2 (as these clips were stereo only). These clips played back fine and looked great so I wanted to keep the 5.1 clip process as close to this as possible.

So far all I have been able to get from Premiere Pro is an audio codec called DVD_LPCM which the media player will not recognise. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to 5.1 audio so I may be doing something obviously wrong...

- I have purchased the 5.1 surcode codec and its activated.

- I have started a new AVCHD (I need 1920x1080) 1080p 29.97  project with a 5.1 audio master

- The orignal file is an mpeg which I have pulled into PPro and selected Clip > Audio > Breakout to mono

- I take the 6 mono channels in the project panel and put them into thier own mono tracks in the sequence.

- the video I use is the original mpeg with the 5.1audio muted in the sequence.

- When i select each track in the project panel and go to Clip > Audio > Source channel mappings, I see that track has already been allocated a source channel. So I go to the Audio Mixer panel and adjust the 5.1 panners for each tyrack according to what the Source Channel Mapping window has told me - Audio 1 is is L, audio 2 is R, audio 3 is LS, 4 -  Rs, 5- C and 6- LFE

- I cut the video and all the mono track to the 60seconds I need and export using these settings:

Video - exactly as before

Audio -

Format - Dolby Digital, Codec - SurCode, Audio Coding Mode: 3/1 (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs - 5.1 Surround), LFE: on.

The clip exports with DVD_LPCM 5.1 audio. Is it to do with the AVCHD preset? Could anyone help me get aac? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance