14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2009 1:25 PM by drLucio

PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition

drLucio

Hello Everyone:

Unfortunately like some of you that probably want to try your hand at high definition editing, I just bought PE7 a couple of days before the announcement for PE8. For some reason I find that PE7 (and my previous PE3) cannot recognize my Canon HV20 as the high definition camera that it is.

I can easily import regular dv-avi from this Canon but when trying to import the files as HDV, it does not recognize the camera.

The camera is connected via firewire and is recognized as 'DV' Camcorder but not as an 'HDV' camcorder. The footage has been recorded in High defintion 1080.

I hope that one of you with this type of camera can help.

On another note, is it possible to record into PE7 with HDMI?

Thanks,

Lucio

email: dr_lucio@yahoo.com

my computer: HP m9077c, Intel core 2 Quad core Q6600, 32 bit, 3G Ram, service pack 1 with all the current microsoft updates, 400G internal HD and 1T external HD

• 1. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you've got your Premiere Elements project set up for HDV, it should capture from that HV20 over FireWire.

If it doesn't, as an alternative you can use the free capture utility HDVSplit. Video captured with this utility is compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
            drLucio Level 1

Hi Steve:

Nice to hear from you always. I do have the project set to High Definition but PE7 just will not reconize the HV20 as a HDV via firewire.

I'll give HDVSplit a try today. Thanks a lot.

Lucio

• 3. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucio,

Many feel that HDVSplit does a better job of Capture, than does Premiere, when everything works, as it should. They like the power of its Scene Detect much better. Some complain that Adobe needs to buy out HDVSplit, or at least the code, and incorporate it into Premiere.

For SD Capture, I strongly recommend SceneAlyzer Live.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                drLucio Level 1

Hi Steve, Hunt:

Thanks for the replies.

Strangely enough, HDVSplit does not recognize the Canon HV20 at all when connected via firewire. PE7 does recognize it as a DV camcorder, just not as an HDV.

It must be something quite simple but I'm at a loss. I wonder if there is some special driver that would be needed. As you probably know, Canon tech support always blames the computer or software.

Thanks

Lucio

• 5. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucio,

I'd first start by checking every possible setting on the camera. I do not have that model, but there are several different menus for such settings on mine. Check every one carefully. It almost has to be something on that end, if neither HDVSplit, nor PrE can see it as an HD device.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That is very strange, Lucio -- although at least now you know it's not just Premiere Elements.

Since you can capture in standard DV, you know all of your connections are working. I'd look at the camcorder's settings and ensure that, when you're capturing HDV, it's not set to DV Lock or something like that.

• 7. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                      drLucio Level 1

Hi Again Steve, Hunt:

I'm not sure if the camera would be in dv-lock. There don't seem to be many setting available for transferring beside an 'AV-DV' on-off (which I keep on).

Perhaps a different capture card is needed or Vista Ultimate (instead of the Home Premium that I have). As you said, Steve, it isn't a PE7 problem since HDVSplit also does not work.

I'll keep at it.

Thanks

Lucio

• 8. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucio,

Perhaps a different capture card is needed or Vista Ultimate (instead of the Home Premium that I have).

A FireWire connection should be all that you will need. No "capture card" would be involved.

There don't seem to be many setting available for transferring beside an 'AV-DV' on-off (which I keep on).

Because my Canon is an SD-only unit, I can't really check its manual to help you. This line puzzles me a bit. What happens if you set this to OFF? Considering the number of menu options and switches that I have on my SD camera, I'd have expected your HD/SD unit to have more possible settings, but maybe I'm wrong and Canon has simplified things a lot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                          amozzah

Lucio,

I used to have an HV20 and there are settings on the camera, as other described, that are likely causing this issue.

I can't remember the exact menu items, but there is one for output video settings. It will say either DV or 480i for standard def, or HDV or 1080i for hi def. I expect you need to change this to HDV/1080i.

When it's set to DV/480i, it will downconvert footage recorded in HDV mode to satndard def. It's also sending a standard def signal over the firwire, which is why programs are not seeing it in HDV mode.

Good luck.

• 10. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Amazzah,

Thanks for that info. I did not have an HD Canon to even begin checking, but assumed that there was an Output menu screen someplace. Heck, my SD Canon must have 30 menus, so one might have to drill down to find the right spot.

Appreciated, and I hope that your instructions help the OP,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                              drLucio Level 1

Hello Amozzah, Hunt:

Thanks for the replies.

Hunt, you're right that with firewire, a capture card is not of any importance (this is what happens when I get desperate for an answer, I forget to think). Also, I have tried to also turn off the 'AV-DV' option and still no luck.

Amozzah, I do indeed have the output from the camera to 1080 output but still no luck.

At first I thought that my footage was not recorded in high defintion but I double checked and it is.

I have the weirdest problems when editing but it always gives my wife a good laugh (previously it was the constant crashing with PE3 in Vista in spite of the 3.0.2 patch).

Lucio (confused Canadian)

• 12. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                                drLucio Level 1

Hey Guys:

Finally solved the problem. Thanks to all your help I was able to rule out the PE7/Camcorder possibilities and concentrate on the computer hardware itself.

I decided to disconnect my Western Digital external firewire hard drive, restart the computer with the camera connected and it worked!

I then reconnected the hard drive, again restarted the computer and once again it worked. Unfortunately I'm not sure why but I have noticed in the past  that when I connect and disconnect my canopus box to add the digital camera via firewire, it sometimes causes problems unless I keep restarting the computer.

I'm grateful for all your excellent help and advice,

Lucio

• 13. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucio,

Glad that you got it sorted out.

I strongly recommend that one only connect a camera for Capture, or Export to Tape, on a separate FW controller, i.e. a separate chip, from any other FW device. Now, making sure that one has the connection on a separate chip can be tough. Many computers have several FW ports, but they are often fed to the same, single chip on the MoBo. A separate, multi-chip card can be useful, if one has several FW devices.

This goes beyond the warning to not daisy-chain a camera to another device and is specific to the controller chip(s). I see many issues, where other devices are on that same chip.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE7 unable to recognize Canon HV20 as High Definition
                                    drLucio Level 1

Thanks for that advice Hunt. I'll go see my computer dealer this week about adding a multichip card.

Best wishes,

Lucio