11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 2:13 PM by Ry-man

PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone

Ry-man

I am trying to export a video using the defaults fon the Share menu for a mobile device, iPhone.  I've tried both high and medium quality.

The end result has jumpy frames interspersed with flickers of a green screen.  The project exports perfectly fine to DVD as well as to AVI and QT.

Any thoughts?  Is this function working fine on your videos?

Note:  My source files are AVCHD in case that has any effect.  This is the first project I've ever tried to export for iPhone.

• 1. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Certainly ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer.

And also ensure that the video you're editing is true AVCHD and not AVCHD Lite or a version of the H.264 codec used on pocket "webbie" camcorders.

Finally, try outputting something other than to an iPod MOV, just as a test. Try outputting to Share/Personal Computers/DV-AVI and see if you get the same results.

• 2. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Some folk have had better luck, with regards to quality output, by using the MainConcept H.264 CODEC, rather than the Apple version. Lead software also has a good one, but the MainConcept seems to get better results. Note: MainConcept has several "levels" of H.264 CODEC and their "Pro" version is very pricey.

Might be worth a try and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
              Ry-man Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the quick respose.   (BTW - I just got your book on PRE 7 this past weekend.  It's already helped me with an issue I couldn't figure out.)

It is definitely AVCHD... coming from a Canon HF10.  I can successfully output to AVI, DVD and   .  I've also verified I have the latest version of Quicktime.  If you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Actually -- One weird thing just happened.  When I just test exported to DV-AVI, it "looks" OK, except the video is not the way I edited it.  I used PiP to place a small back box as a censored box on a video of my son in the bath.  On DVD and when I export as Quicktime it is correct.  When I just did it as DV-AVI, the black box is about 10% lower down on the screen than it is supposed to be.  I just went back into my project and it is still positioned in the correct location.  The only time it has done the placement incorrectly is when I just exported to DV-AVI.

• 4. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                When I just did it as DV-AVI, the black box is about 10% lower down on the screen than it is supposed to be.  I just went back into my project and it is still positioned in the correct location.  The only time it has done the placement incorrectly is when I just exported to DV-AVI.

This is odd indeed. The only possible explanation that I can think of this morning is a mismatch in the Project and the source footage and there is an Aspect Ratio difference somewhere. Or, something with the Keyframing, Effect>Motion>Position?

You're starting with an AVCHD Project Preset, right, as your source footage is AVCHD? You're outputting to SD (DV-AVI), and is that 16:9? Is the "black box" just a Title with a Shape? Is it Keyframed to match the subject's movement?

Still, I would think that any Keyframing issue would show up on the Timeline. The only other variable is the AVCHD Project going to SD.

A real puzzle and I've already had my second cup of coffee...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                  Ry-man Level 1

Hunt,

Yes, I am using an AVCHD preset.  Also, the black box is keyframed with the subject's movement.  I used the Effect preset for the 25% LR fixed PiP, and then resized it smaller... and used keyframe motion to follow the movement.  When I export to QuickTime it is aligned properly.  I also just burned a DVD to ensure it's still correct, and works perfectly fine on a SD DVD.

This stinks that it's not working, because I was just going to use DV-AVI to include this video with others in a compilation DVD.  From what I've read, that's the best way to go about doing that, correct?  Can I export as QuickTime and pull that into a new project to make a master compilation?  If so, what preset should I use?  The DV Widescreen, just as if I had exported to DV-AVI?

• 6. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ry-Man,

I would do the Title w/ Shape, as you have done already. Then, rather than PiP, I'd first Keyframe Effect>Motion>Scale, if necessary, and then Effect>Motion>Position, to "track" the subject. I wonder if the 25% PiP might have something to do with it.

Please let us know if this works better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                      Ry-man Level 1

AAAAHHHHHHHH....

I did it with a title shape, and it does the same thing.  Perfectly fine to DVD or QT, but not correct in DV AVI.

• 8. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, other than a mismatch in PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), I am out of ideas. What is the PAR of your Project?

Even here, a Title created in that Project, should keep the same PAR as the Project. Even if you are Outputting to another format, you should see things like squeezing, and not moving.

Odd.

Hunt

• 9. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                          Ry-man Level 1

The PAR and pixel count/dimensions are the exact same for my source video and the black frame I used when I first did it with the PiP approach.  I've submitted the issue to support.  We'll see if they come back with anything.  Thanks for the effort!  This is a weird one.

• 10. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do report on your resolution. I just cannot think of any reason that a Title would Export in one position with one format, but be correct with other Exports. I'm at a loss, and would really like to find out what is happening, and why.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PRE7 - Problem with exporting to mobile device - iPhone
                              Ry-man Level 1

I will let you know.  To make things even more interesting, I actually do have the DV-AVI output I need for my DVD compilation right now.  I made a copy of my finished project and deleted the tracks with the boxes.  I exported that to DV-AVI.  Then I brought up the original project with the boxes and deleted the AVCHD video tracks and brought in the DV-AVI I have exported.  I made sure it still aligned properly and exported to DV-AVI and it worked out perfect.  Note:  This is in the orginal project with the AVCHD presets even though the main video source was now DV-AVI.  So, I have what I need... but with extra steps that should not be necessary.  I'll let you know if Adobe can get the official function working right.