5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 10:19 PM by Mylenium

Cropping images/video in AE CS3?

impactvideo

Strange question indeed here for the group.    

How do you crop images or video clips in AE.  There seems to be no Crop effect or utility as in Premiere Pro.  I am a bit new to AE but it seems this should be obvious, still I can not figure out and there was nothing in the help files.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff in Palmetto, FL

• 1. Re: Cropping images/video in AE CS3?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

It's all about terminology. Masking is word of the day!

• 2. Re: Cropping images/video in AE CS3?
            impactvideo Level 1

Thanks for the reply and the link.  However, using masks to adjust 3 edges of a square photo is a biut time consuming and messy in my opinion.  I am quite comfortable with using masks and use them frequently.  Using masks will work for my purpose, but using a crop tool like the one in Premiere Pro would be much easier.  I am really surprised that AE does not offer a crop tool.

My request for future functionality would be to include a Crop effect or tool as well as the inclusion of extrusion and other 3D tools for true 3D functionality.

Regards.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Cropping images/video in AE CS3?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I am really surprised that AE does not offer a crop tool.

Well, it has! Use the limited region in your comp viewer. Once established, a simple Composition --> Crop to Limited Region will give what you need. If you work with fixed sizes on masses of photos, a script may be necessary, but off hand I'm not awrae of any prefab ones that mimic that functionality.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Cropping images/video in AE CS3?
                impactvideo Level 1

Thanks.  That did indeed work!.

However, one apossible lingering annoyance. Can this be keyframed and animated?  Also, can the region's dimensions be copies and pasted into other layers, so the exact selected area can be duplicated with other images? 

Animating the croping feature can be used for motion reveals and other unique effects in Premiere Pro.  I would still like to have this feature available in AE.

Many thanks for the advice. This forum is soooo valuable.

Regards.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Cropping images/video in AE CS3?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, this can't be animated. If you neeed this kind of functionality, then you may wish to start a thread over at AEnhancers that mimics it with a script. It's just not going to be very elegant, as it would create a comp for each frame most likely. Barring that, I'm sure a decent crop effect is contained in a cross-application plug-in suite like Boris Continuum. You could use it to render the regions (the images would still be full size), but using a batch action in Photoshop involving the Image --> Trim... command set to transparent areas or aspecific target color it could then be finally cropped. The PS stuff of course works with any image sequence, so even without extra plug-ins you could get there by e.g. simply using a solid as your "crop" area by making use of matte modes. Once the transparency is there, PS doesn't care how it was created.*

*may involve extra selection steps for some image formats, though, to select the Alpha channel.

Mylenium