7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2009 8:46 AM by pebalsamo

AVCHD timecode issue

dradeke Adobe Employee

Hi guys,

I know that some people had an issue around AVCHD timecode and the fact that everything in Premiere Pro starts at "00:00:00" timecode.

Well, I learned that this is in fact part of the AVCHD spec.  I even looked at the wikipedia page for AVCHD and looked at the diagram and there is nothing there to describe timecode.  I sent this question to the product manager and group product manager of Premiere Pro and received the answer that there is no timecode in AVCHD.  Panasonic's AVCCAM is designed to overcome this issue which is something that we are currently investigating.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion (it does for me).

Dennis

• 1. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Panasonic's AVCCAM is designed to overcome this issue

Curious.  The Wiki page also said this:

"There are no major differences in video stream encoding or in the file structure between AVCCAM and AVCHD."

• 2. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
            pebalsamo Level 2

It was my understanding too that AVCCAM and AVCHD are the exact same thing.  At least that is what the Panasonic rep said.

There is obviously timecode there.  You can see it on the camera (Panasonic HMC150), there is even options for setting the timecode and Syncing the timecode to make editing easier.  Well it is supposed to make editing easier if you could see it.

I am going to go over to the DVX board and ask if anyone else is having TC issues.  I thought that I had asked before and no-one except for Premiere people were having issues.

I also know that the TC is there because if you transcode to DVCPRO HD the correct TC is there and Premiere can see it.  Since my machine is failry capable of handling AVCHD I would rather not take the time or space to Transcode...

Phil

• 3. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
              dradeke Adobe Employee

pebalsamo wrote:

It was my understanding too that AVCCAM and AVCHD are the exact same thing.  At least that is what the Panasonic rep said.

From a picture point of view, I would tend to agree.  I would liken the Panasonic rep's saying to him saving DVCPro (25) and DV are the same thing.  DVCAM or DV would be similar as well...

There is obviously timecode there.  You can see it on the camera (Panasonic HMC150), there is even options for setting the timecode and Syncing the timecode to make editing easier.  Well it is supposed to make editing easier if you could see it.

I also know that the TC is there because if you transcode to DVCPRO HD the correct TC is there and Premiere can see it.  Since my machine is failry capable of handling AVCHD I would rather not take the time or space to Transcode...

I agree.  The HMC150 is an AVCCAM camera and has timecode in it.  Premiere Pro CS4 to my knowledge does not currently support it.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 4. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
                pebalsamo Level 2

dradeke wrote:

pebalsamo wrote:

From a picture point of view, I would tend to agree.  I would liken the Panasonic rep's saying to him saving DVCPro (25) and DV are the same thing.  DVCAM or DV would be similar as well...

In the HMC150 Manual it says "Recording Format - AVCHD Specifications"

dradeke wrote:

I agree.  The HMC150 is an AVCCAM camera and has timecode in it.  Premiere Pro CS4 to my knowledge does not currently support it.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

That is pretty Piss Poor of Adobe to "kind of" support a format.  You do not see that in any literature anywhere.  It would have been nice to know that before we bought CS4 because we probably would not have.  I REALLY hope that this is corrected in the 4.2 update!

We purchased a few of the HMC150's and then I talked with some Adobe people on the phone and online and decided since they "supported" AVCHD we would go there instead of sticking with Avid.  For the most part I have been happy with Premiere, but this little TC issue has really irratated me.  We shoot lots of events with multiple cameras and being able to sync the TC of the cameras was huge plus that we were looking to take advantage of, but Premiere has failed us in that...

Phil

• 5. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If Panasonic has timecode with AVCHD, then it is a proprietary implementation because, as Dennis pointed out, the AVCHD spec doesn't include timecode.

Adobe advertises AVCHD support, not Panasonic AVCHD support.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

AVCHD = open standard

AVCCAM = Panasonic 'pro' implmentation of AVCHD

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 7. Re: AVCHD timecode issue
                      pebalsamo Level 2

Something else that was brought to my attention from other Premiere CS4 users on the HMC150 Forum is that the function to manually set the TC of your footage does not work with AVCHD either.  At least with other formats you always have that Option.  Is there a reason why this would not work with AVCHD?

Thanks

Phil