1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 9:17 AM by Linux Rules

PROBLEM WITH ACCENT IN URL'S

anbestard
      GOOD MORNING,

I HAVE TWO HELP HTML. THE FIRST HTML HELP REFERENCES THE OTHER HTML HELP. IN THIS HTML HELP (WHERE REFERENCES), THERES IS TOPICS WITH ACCENTS. WHEN I COMPILING THE TWO HELP FILES, IN WEBHELP FORMAT, THE WEBHELP REFERENCES (HAVE TOPICS WITH ACCENTS), TRANSLATE THESE TOPICS WITH ACCENT TO _. FOR EXAMPLE

ORIGINAL TOPIC --> \\PRÉSTAMO_SIN_AVAL
      TRANSLATE TOPIC --> \\PR_STAMO_SIN_AVAL

I NEED COMPILING DIRECTLY, ¿DO YOU KNOW SOME METHOD?

THANK YOU
        • 1. Re: PROBLEM WITH ACCENT IN URL'S
          Linux Rules Level 2
          Hello anbestard-

Those characters are not valid (not permitted) in a URL. This from URL Encoding ( http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm ):

"RFC 1738: Uniform Resource Locators (URL) specification
          The specification for URLs (RFC 1738, Dec. '94) poses a problem, in that it limits the use of allowed characters in URLs to only a limited subset of the US-ASCII character set:

"...Only alphanumerics [0-9a-zA-Z], the special characters "$-_.+!*'()," [not including the quotes - ed], and reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used unencoded within a URL."

HTML, on the other hand, allows the entire range of the ISO-8859-1 (ISO-Latin) character set to be used in documents - and HTML4 expands the allowable range to include all of the Unicode character set as well. In the case of non-ISO-8859-1 characters (characters above FF hex/255 decimal in the Unicode set), they just can not be used in URLs, because there is no safe way to specify character set information in the URL content yet [RFC2396.]

URLs should be encoded everywhere in an HTML document that a URL is referenced to import an object (A, APPLET, AREA, BASE, BGSOUND, BODY, EMBED, FORM, FRAME, IFRAME, ILAYER, IMG, ISINDEX, INPUT, LAYER, LINK, OBJECT, SCRIPT, SOUND, TABLE, TD, TH, and TR elements.)"

Regards,
          GEWB