9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 12:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point

Steve221 Level 1

Using Premier Elements 3.

Is it possible to zoom in to, lets say, the upper right hand corner of the video?

If version 3 can't, do later versions?  It would be a good reason to upgrade for me.

• 1. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I do not know for sure that PrE 3 can do this, but PrE 4 can, as can later versions.

You will need to adjust two of the Fixed Effects, Motion>Scale (your zoom), and then Motion>Position (to get the area that you want).

I would anticipate that PrE 3 has the Motion>Position, in Edit Effects, just like the later versions.

Please let me know if it does.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Exactly right, Hunt.

Scale, in the Motion properties, controls how much you zoom in or out from your clip.

Position controls which area is in the center of your frame (measured in pixels).

• 3. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
              Steve221 Level 1

Thanks for the quick turn-around.

V3 does have the MOTION/POSITION control but I must not be using it correctly.  It moves the whole 'screen' around, not just the zoom focal point.

Does the 'anchor point' have anything to do with this? I assume it's the small circle with the cross hairs.  'Motion/Position' and 'anchor point' adjustments seem to do the same thing.

• 4. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks.

The one question in my mind was whether PrE 3 had both Fixed Effects. I would assume that it would, based on where PrE 3 appeared in the timeline of PrPro, but did not know for certain. Can you confirm that PrE 3 has both?

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve221,

Thanks for the report. Yes, you can move the Anchor Point as is required. Normally, I Edit Effect>Motion>Scale to get my sizing, and then use Effect>Motion>Position to place the resized image where I want it.

One thing that I find useful is adding a "grid" as a Title, to do my location. This Title is then removed, prior to Export. It's just there for alignment.

HERE are some that I did for general alignment. When I need to get more critical, I just create Stroked rectangular, or square Paths in Photoshop, to give me the exact size and location for my resized Video. On some Projects, I might have a dozen of these, with different sizes and positions. I just start with a PS New Image, set to the Preset of my Project, i.e. NTSC DV 4:3 720 x 480. I normally Stroke with red, so I can see them easily.

Do NOT forget to eliminate any alignment grid, prior to Export, or the grid will be part of your Exported video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                    Steve221 Level 1

Yes,

in v3 in the 'Properties' section under MOTION is listed:

Position

Scale

Rotation

Anchor Point

Anti-flicker Filter

After playing around with it, it looks like I may need some combination of anchor points and scale.  Just need to control overall 'frame' size/location from one scene to the next.

• 7. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is where I'd create the alignment grid for each desired size and location.

You might also be able to get what you want with Corner Pin. I think that PrE has that Effect. It will allow you to "pin" each corner to the alignment grid. Now, I could be talking PrPro-only here, but I hope not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's what such an alignment Title would look like. Because it's on a white background, it might not be quite so easy to see.

Alignment_Grid_Upper_Right.jpg

Let me know if this helps you,

Hunt

PS - yep, showed up much better on the light blue of the editing screen.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added PS

• 9. Re: Zoom in to a location OTHER than center point
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This might be a better example of the alignment tool in use. Here, I used it for my PiP (resized, positioned and then Cropped), and also for my Lower Third Title and Title block.

Alignment_Grid_01.jpg

Just remember to delete the alignment tool, prior to Export, or you'll get something like above, and that will NOT be what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt