7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 9:55 AM by Jim Strenk

Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?

Jim Strenk Level 1

Having recently ordered the purchase of a Canon 7D DSLR that captures mov files at 24, 25 and 30 fps mov clips, does Premier Pro CS4 support these files?

My intent is to capture mov files and them edit them using Premier Pro CS4.

Is editing mov files possible?

What fps setting would be best?

Any tips, suggestions or other errata using Premier Pro CS4 with mov files?

Answers to other typical newbie questions would also be appreciated?

• 1. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

MOV is just a container that can hold all kinds of different stuff. It is all about the stuff inside that container that matters. Very likely PR will not support it natively and you need a special codec like Morgan or MainConcept. But first you need to figure out what codec is used.

• 2. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
            Jim Strenk Level 1

Thanks Harm for the quick reply.  From the Canon Web Site: "Video: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM) ".

Does that help?  Will Premier Pro CS4 handle video files with the specifications mentioned above?

Will I need additional codecs or other programs to edit these files?

• 3. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks you are OK. H.264 is supported as is PCM audio. Possible it is the same as the 5D II. There have been long threads recently about the workflow. Do a search and you will find many questions and answers.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
                dradeke Adobe Employee

Jim Strenk wrote:

Having recently ordered the purchase of a Canon 7D DSLR that captures mov files at 24, 25 and 30 fps mov clips, does Premier Pro CS4 support these files?

My intent is to capture mov files and them edit them using Premier Pro CS4.

Is editing mov files possible?

What fps setting would be best?

Any tips, suggestions or other errata using Premier Pro CS4 with mov files?

Answers to other typical newbie questions would also be appreciated?

Premiere Pro CS4 technically does support this - but it's not optimal and I recommend a DI workflow as a result (converting from one codec to another).

Use the Adobe Media Encoder to convert your files to something else (I'm using P2) and then edit your clips.

To anticipate your next question - Yes, Adobe is looking very closely at the Canon 5D and 7D.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
                  tclark513 Level 3

Thanks Dennis,

It's nice to have feedback from somebody who knows.

Any chance you can shed some light on the fixes in 4.2?

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
                    Jim Strenk Level 1

Thanks Harm for your follow-up answer.  It is appreciated!

• 7. Re: Will Premiere Pro CS4 support native Canon 7D mov format?
                      Jim Strenk Level 1

Thanks Dennis for your quick reply.  It is appreciated!

After reading both your reply and Harm's replies, I now see why your qualified your compatibility statement.  Reading several threads about Canon 5D Mark II mov files being "compatable" with Premier Pro CS4, there appears some "pre-editing" work has to be done.  I did note however, the same may not be true for mov clips recorded with 4:3 aspect ratio versus the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I've just gotten off the phone with Canon Technical Support regarding any differences between the 5D Mark II and the 7D mov file output format.  There is NO DIFFERENCE.  Maximum file capture size is limited to 4GB.  Both cameras will automatically stop recording at the 4GM mark and allow for camera and I imagine sensor "cooling".  SanDisk Extreme III and better or other equivilents have been report to work just fine for video captures.

There is a difference however in capturing movie scenes.  The 5D Mark II captures at 30 fpm, while the 7D allows the user to choose frame-rates of 24 fpm, 25 fpm and 30 fpm.  Shutter speeds of 1/30 - 1/120 are suggested with 1/60 the preferred shutter setting.