8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 5:22 AM by vesko_m

PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file

vesko_m

Hi,

I am a newbie in Premiere Elements. Read a lot of threads with aspect ratio problems, but didn't find similar problem to mine, so decided to open a new discussion.

I am shooting video with Samsung HMX-H105 SSD camcorder, in 16:9 widescreen HD video.

When I try to make DVD from the MP4 file from the camcorder, it gets skewed even before opening it, when it is seen in the right hand pane with the Media file previews. I am not sure if somebody can understand what I am trying to tell so I have a screenshot of a video that I shot with my camcorder and a video that I have downloaded, shot by someone else with Samsung HMX-H20 in 16:9 HD as well.

So even when I start a new project in 4:3 and not 16:9 my videos always get stretched. This is why I think that maybe Premiere Elements doesn't understand the aspect ratio of my MP4 video files - it can be seen in the left hand side pane, where I have circled (with white elipse) the black stripes above and below the video.

Hope that somebody can help with my problem.

• 1. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I could find no specs on the Samsung site to indicate that this is a true AVCHD camcorder (although it's video uses a form of the H.264 codec).

If it is not an AVCHD camcorder, you will likely not be able to edit the video natively in Premiere Elements. Or, if you can, you'll need to re-interpret the footage to widescreen.

First ensure that your project is using the AVCHD project setting. Then, if your video is looking "stretched" right-click on the clips and select the option to Interpret Footage and select a setting that gives you a proper display.

This will likely be a very intensive format to edit, so I recommend working on your project in short pieces and save often! (You'll also need a considerably fast computer with lots of RAM.)

• 2. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
            vesko_m Level 1

My camcorder is using H.264 and writes the videos in MP4 files.

I am not sure as well, if it is a "true AVCHD" camcorder, but Samsung claims that it is FullHD and takes vids in 1920x1080.

G-Spot sees similar video properties for both of the videos that I have, I have attached G-Spot results in this post - they are both seen as 1920x1080 videos, this is why I see the problem really strange.

• 3. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, the true test is to open an AVCHD project in Premiere Elements and import one of those video files into it. If, when you place it on the timeline there is a red line above it, you do not have true AVCHD video.

Regardless, have you tried interpretting the video to see if that resolves your issues?

With camcorder manufacturers looking for better and better ways to stick more video into smaller storage spaces (such as flash memory), they're varying a lot from standard formats. Good for making portable camcorders; bad for those of us who want to edit the video.

• 4. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
                vesko_m Level 1

Thank you Steve,

but I cannot find an "Interpret" option to click on.

I have started an AVCHD project and put the problematic video and the other one that is not stretched, there is red line on the timeline view on both of them - I guess this means that they are not AVCHD.

I attached a screenshot with the options I get when I right-click on the clip.

If it is very small to see after uploading - the options are: Select; Set Timeline Marker; Go to timeline marker; Clear timeline marker; Magnification; Safe Margins; Playback settings;

• 5. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Project Panel, you will Rt-click on the Clip and choose Interpret Footage. There, you can set the attributes of that Clip.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
                    vesko_m Level 1

You ROCK

both of you

Thanks wine_snob for pointing me how to find the Interpret Footage option.

And thanks to Steve for solving my problem

In the "Interpret Footage" and "Pixel Aspect Ratio", the working video says: "Use Pixel Aspect Ratio from File: Square Pixels (1.0)"

but on my problem video it says: "Use Pixel Aspect Ratio from File: Other Aspect Ratio (1.778)", so I changed it to "Conform to: Square Pixels (1.0)" and now I have perfectly proportinal video for 16:9

Thank you once again!

• 7. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

We're just glad to help.

Glad that you got it sorted.

Hunt

• 8. Re: PRE7: Aspect Ratio problem even before opening source media file
                        vesko_m Level 1

A little follow-up.

I am sad again

After creating the video, there is blur whenever something is moving in the scene. If the camera is filming something steady, not moving - it is OK, but when it is something that moves - it is blurred.

I created other video, like before - without touching "Interpret Footage" - and the video has no blur at all.

I guess that Premiere Elements is not able to render the video correctly, or maybe my camcorder is using some kind of strange codec - and when it is stretched, it is rendered correctly, but when I change the "Aspect Ratio" to "Square Pixels" from "Interpret Footage" it is unable to decode the video.

Hope that somebody will still look at the problem here, since it is related to my initial problem, if not I will open another discussion.