11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 2:23 AM by Harm Millaard

System Requirements on this Configuration

ChristineMW

Hello,

I'm purchasing new CPUs for our offices and I want to double/triple check if the configurations I will be placing on order are compatible.

Really, I want to know if the configurations will run this program: Substandard, Adequately, Good, or Exceptionally Well.

Here's the breakdown, where "Config" is what I intend to order:

---------------------

* Adobe Req: GHz or faster processor for DV; 3.4GHz for HDV; dual 2.8GHz for HD

Config: Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)

---------------------

* Adobe Req: 2GB of RAM

Config: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz

---------------------

* Adobe Req: Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred + OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card

Config: 640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM + 1024MB nVidia GeForce GT220

Note: Some of the units will be running Vista, others Windows7.

---------------------

Opinions? Based on the above, would you say the program would run Substandard, Adequately, Good, or Exceptionally Well?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Substandard.

Processor is good, RAM is average, disk setup is very bad, video is average.

Suggestions:

1. Increase memory to 12 GB and consider DDR3-1333 for possible overclocking

2. Change the boot disk to a 150 or 300 G WD Velocipator

3. Add at least 2 or 3 7200 RPM SATA2 disks with 32+ MB cache

4. Consider an ATI HD 487x or nVidia GTX26x video card or higher

You should have posted this in the hardware forum, as stated at the top of the page. Now the mods need to move it.

• 2. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Depending on your source media, I'd say somewhere between Adequate and Exceptionally Well.

The CPU is great.

The memory is twice what I have, and I get by very well.  (Though I won't argue against moving to 12GB, neither would I suggest it's imperative.)

The disks are good, but you need at least one more.  A really big one for Media. (1TB+)

The GPU is overkill for the task. Though it should work just fine, you'll do well to save some money and get less.  I use a $30 ATI 4350 myself.

As for the difference betewen Harm's and my opinion, you have to consider that Harm uses a rig that would make NASA jealous (as well as the rest of us), and he consideres his barely adequate.  My head is a little more grounded in real world practicalities.

• 3. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
              dradeke Adobe Employee

Harm Millaard wrote:

Substandard.

Processor is good, RAM is average, disk setup is very bad, video is average.

Suggestions:

1. Increase memory to 12 GB and consider DDR3-1333 for possible overclocking

2. Change the boot disk to a 150 or 300 G WD Velocipator

3. Add at least 2 or 3 7200 RPM SATA2 disks with 32+ MB cache

4. Consider an ATI HD 487x or nVidia GTX26x video card or higher

You should have posted this in the hardware forum, as stated at the top of the page. Now the mods need to move it.

Not much I would add to Harm's assessment.

1. don't overclock unless you know what you're doing
              2. Nice, but this would be the last of the 4 recommendations I'd do in order
              3. YES - This is where companies like Dell and others are clueless about video editing.  G-Tech also makes wonderful external enclosures
              4. I'd go higher. an nvidia 285 GTX is about $300 and a quadro FX 1800 with elemental accelerator for $600.  link below

http://www.sharbor.com/scripts/search.cgi?ke=elemental+accelerator&utm_source=Elemental+Ac celerator&utm_campaign=62d386b249-NVIDIA+Newsletter+features+Elemental+Accelerator!&utm_me dium=email

• 4. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                1. I'd go higher. an nvidia 285 GTX

Towards what benefit, though?

• 5. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Your opinion is appreciated, but you have to add you only edit in DV, not HDV, not XDCAM, not AVCHD and all these formats put a higher strain on the system.

The CPU is great.

For DV the i7 is great, for AVCHD it is minimum and the i7-975 or dual W5580/5590 are much better. Good is the best I can make of it in comparison to the other CPU's.

The memory is twice what I have, and I get by very well.

but then again you only edit DV. With current memory pricing I would not pass up on going to 12 GB.

The disks are good

Where did you find the plural in the OP's post? 640 G for a boot disk is a waste of space. He stated:

"Config: 640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM" which looks pretty singular to me.

The GPU is overkill for the task.

unless AE, AI and PS also come into the picture, let alone any 3D applications like Maya, Poser, Vue, etcetera.

• 6. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

For DV the i7 is great, for AVCHD it is minimum

Hence my saying "Depending on the media..."

With current memory pricing I would not pass up on going to 12 GB.

Again, not arguing agsinst that.

Where did you find the plural in the OP's post?

I found it in the number 2, assuming he simply made a typo leaving the "s" from "disk".  It is possible he meant to say SATA2, however.  The OP will have to clarify.

• 7. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If possible I would have only one operating system for easier support and usability.  That OS should be Win 7 as it is faster than Vista for Premiere Pro CS4 and less disk performance dependent according to my PPBM4 benchmarking.

• 8. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

As I have always stated, my system is middle-of-the-road and in terms of disk setup pretty good.

A top-of-the-line system would currently likely be a dual W5590, 24/48 GB Ram, with a 4 disk SSD boot disk in raid0, and a dual 10 Gb/s fibre channel 24 disk (24 x 1 TB+) raid 30 (4 x 6 disk raid3 striped) array and hot-spares with 2 x 4 GB cache on redundant arrays, etc. But slightly overclocked untill the Gulftown arrives. Dream on...

• 9. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                          ChristineMW Level 1

Jim Simon wrote: Depending on your source media, I'd say somewhere between Adequate and Exceptionally Well.

The CPU is great.

The memory is twice what I have, and I get by very well.  (Though I won't argue against moving to 12GB, neither would I suggest it's imperative.)

The disks are good, but you need at least one more.  A really big one for Media. (1TB+)

The GPU is overkill for the task. Though it should work just fine, you'll do well to save some money and get less.  I use a $30 ATI 4350 myself.

As for the difference betewen Harm's and my opinion, you have to consider that Harm uses a rig that would make NASA jealous (as well as the rest of us), and he consideres his barely adequate.  My head is a little more grounded in real world practicalities.

@ Harm - Thanks for the input. The reason I posted here was because Adobe Customer Service sent me the link to this area, specifically, for this inquiry. All I did was click on the link in my email and it took me directly here. Sorry about that.

@ Jim - thanks for breaking this down for me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone else too!

~Christina

• 10. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

As I have always stated, my system is middle-of-the-road

That depends on your frame of reference.  Working in Hollywood, yours may be such.  But in the world of the average Premiere editor, we might as well call you HAL.

• 11. Re: System Requirements on this Configuration
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              But in the world of the average Premiere editor, we might as well call you HAL.

As long as you don't assume I do freelance work for DARPA, I'm OK with that.