4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 9:52 AM by BarryGee

Securing your code

BarryGee Level 1
      Hi.

I am wondering if it is possible to somehow secure my AIR app code. By this, I mean, is there a way to hide my application code so that when users download my AIR app they cant access the code that makes the app, but simply install it? I would very much appreciate a link to a tutorial and/or general advice on this.

Thanks.

Barry.
        • 1. Re: Securing your code
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          ActionScript is an interpreted, dynamic programming language. One can argue about whether Adobe should have put more effort into obfuscating the code, but no matter how much effort they put in, the essential details of the code will never be beyond reach. It's just the nature of this sort of programming language.

Not that using a compiled language makes your secrets inviolate. Like anything in security, it's a question of trading off effort to break in against your attacker's capacity and willingness to expend that effort.

So: what are you trying to protect, exactly, and how much effort do you suppose is "too much", so that your adversaries won't bother?
          • 2. Re: Securing your code
            BarryGee Level 1
            I basically want the code to be hidden so that if say for example the .air extention is changed to a .zip you are unable to see the code. I know this is possible as I have seen other apps do this and I remeber reading about it somewhere on the Adobe site, I just cant find it anymore.
            • 3. Re: Securing your code
              Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
              I think what you're looking for is the "Enable view source" checkbox in the "Export Release Build" dialog box.

Again, though, this doesn't prevent someone from disassembling the resulting swf -- inside the .air/.zip file -- and getting a fair approximation of the source code. Preventing this is impossible with ActionScript. If they change the obfuscation methods, the decompiler vendors will follow along shortly with fixes.
              • 4. Re: Securing your code
                BarryGee Level 1
                What I need is to use the encryted local store. However I do not know how to use this, yet. Some more delving will bring light to the subject no doubt.