7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 4:11 PM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Question for Dennis Radeke

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Dennis:

Do you know if the Premiere programmers are working on a solution to the Importerprocessserver.exe crash issue? We get these often enough for the issue to be disruptive to the workflow on all of our systems that have very different hardware/software configurations.

importer.gif

• 1. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I'll pass this along.  If I get any answer back, I will let you know.

Best,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke
            dradeke Adobe Employee

Charles,

what are you doing to that creates the crash?  Can you elaborate and provide some more information?

Thanks,

Dennis

• 3. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke

Dennis:

Thanks for getting back to me.

The computer specs are as follows:

Intel Q6600 not overclocked

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula

RAM: 4GB Crucial

C: WD Raptor 74GD

3 additional internal hard drives, all Seagate

Plenty of free space on the "media" drive as well as the system "C" drive.

ATI Video Card - Midrange (I'm at home and can't remember the exact card this computer has)

Premiere CS4 Production Premium with all of the current updates installed. Computer also has Design Premium installed.

I use the most current version of "System Mechanic" to keep the computer free of junk files and registry errors.

Project:

16X9 NTSC standard definition widescreen 48Khz. The project contains only AVI's I captured from DV cam tape. The only other items in the project are 3 Premiere Titles and about fifty *.PSDs. The PSD's are flattened and contain no paths or anything out of the ordinary. They are all 1440 pixels wide to allow for some motion.

There are 3 sequences in the Prproj. with media on 3 video layers. Each edited video ranges approx 3.5 to 6 minutes in length.

When does it Crash?

The only time I get the error is when I play the timeline. The crash does not happen immediately, but commonly after playing about 3/4 of a 6 minute long video. I have received the error 3 more times in this project since my first post here.

Steps I have taken so far:

I deleted the preview files and cleaned the Media Cache. I set the playback to "Draft" quality and the playback size to 50%. I did get the error 1 time after doing this, but not immediately.

What I think could possibly help that I have not yet tried:

I will check for an update for the machine's ATI video card.

I appreciate any help, Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke

Thanks Harm:

I read the article and searched the computer for different versions of the MSvcr:

• Msvcr80.dll
              • Msvcr71.dll
              • Msvcr70.dll
              • There are different versions all over the place on this system for whatever reason.
              • As an experiment, I copied one of the newer versions of the *.dll into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 folder and hid the earlier version that was in the folder, to a place where I could copy it back later if needed.

After this I started Premiere (wasn't sure if it would even start) and messed within the project to see if I could get a crash, I noticed a bit of problem video that was the previous crashing point. So far no crashes though.

I haven't done much reading up on dll's so this was just a wild stab in the dark. We'll see if it eliminates the problem.

Dennis could come back here with a proper fix after reading my post and having a good laugh with the Adobe Premiere programmers . In any case I am grateful for everyone's help.

• 6. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Charles,

It was a long time ago that I experienced a similar problem with the C++ DLL and I never figured out how it did happen, maybe a .NET update, maybe some other update, but anyway the visual C++ DLL was the culprit. On the old forums I posted all the steps on how to resolve this, but they can no longer be found. I have never experienced it again and I did not keep a record of my previous solution, so I can only point you in the direction to search. Hence the link. This is not an Adobe problem but a Windows problem and IIRC you have to reinstall from the Microsoft site the correct DLL to several directories on your boot disk, but be aware there are many version available for download and you have to pick the correct one for your OS and your .NET frameworks. Google gives you a lot of links, but the best place to start is the Microsoft KB and Technet.

• 7. Re: Question for Dennis Radeke

I've been bouncing back and forth on 3 seperate projects, the one as I mentioned is 16x9 Standard def NTSC. The other is DVCproHD P2 1080i. The third project is a 5 hour seminar shot with 2 cameras in Standard 16x9. Today I edited on these for four hours without a crash since I changed out that dll file.

Before I get too excited, I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm hoping for a temporary fix. We pre-ordered Windows 7 Professional and should be getting it hopefully, within a month. I'll be doing a clean install, and perhaps I can get my hands on one of those insanely fast SSDs to replace the system drive.