9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 10:16 PM by ACYL10

PE8: A Gripe and A Crash

ACYL10 Level 1

Hi,

Two things. I have installed PE8 on my system and, as the title suggests, I have a complaint and an issue (both related).

I have Cubase 4 installed on the system that I want to use Premiere on. When Premiere starts up, it detects the VST plugins I use for Cubase and registers them with the program.

Where, on one hand, this is very cool, it is also a pain in the bum.

The system I installed PE8 on is not my main Cubase system, it is on my laptop. Cubase uses a hardware dongle for copy protection. Every time I want to use Premiere, I have to go and get the dongle from my DAW system and plug it into the laptop. This is annoying.

Is there any way to tell PE8 not to include the VST plugin folder, or to set up a blacklist of plugins?

Related to this, some of the plugins actually crash PE8 before it can even start. I am not going to remove these plugins or move them from their folder so, again, is there anyway to blacklist plugins or their folders from the app?

Thanks

L

• 1. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't believe so, L. sorry.

• 2. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
            Ozpeter Level 1

Having VST plugins in the default Cubase folder can indeed lead to problems like that.  Here I have VST plugins in application-specific folders to give more control, even though that can mean having duplicates on the system (though if one app is happy with the plugins in another app of course they can share a common folder).

Of course you may have reasons for not wanting to change the way you have your plugins, but on the face of it, it would be the work of about two minutes to move your plugins to a folder that other programs won't find, then point Cubase at the new folder in Cubase preferences.  End of problem - unless of course it creates a worse one you are trying to avoid!

Edit - I see there's a VST plugin folder within PE8 at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins so if you still wanted to use some of your plugins but not others (assuming you had moved the Cubase ones from their default folder), you could put copies in there and I suspect they would work.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie Lotter, the keeper of the PrPro-Wiki was working on a blacklist script. It was designed for PrPro, which does the same thing. I do not currently know the disposition of his work.

Eddie has been absent from the PrPro forum, as of late, and I cannot find the references to his earlier works. If I do, I'll post to this thread.

Some have had luck moving their VST folder (in those cases it was for Native Instruments, whose VST's crashed PrPro) to their Desktop. In their cases, they just pointed Native Instruments to that folder on the Desktop and it would work fine, plus PrPro would NOT look for any VST's there. This surprised me, but maybe there is something about Desktop, that keeps PrPro away.

Now, I know that I am talking about PrPro, and not PrE, but there are major similarities between these two Adobe NLE programs. What works in one might work in the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                Ozpeter Level 1

Mine are not on the desktop, Hunt, but in C:\Audio Plugins - I don't think Premiere will find them anywhere except in the normal place (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins or something like that).  (Actually, I'm not finding a place to put a plugin that Premiere finds it, except for Premiere's own plugins folder which does work, so the default must be somewhere else).

• 5. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ozpeter,

Interesting. I am not that familiar with exactly how PrE handles VST's beyond the ones that ship with it. I only have it on my laptop and have few additional VST's, beyond Audition (some add-ons), PrPro and AE. To date, no problems.

With PrPro, it will survey your computer, and load every VST that is installed. I have observed three possible behaviors:

1.) VST's will load and be used perfectly fine.

2.) VST's load, but cannot be used. One will get a one-time message to this effect. The VST's will load, but cannot be used, and there will never be another message, after the first.

3.) VST's will hang PrPro, when the program attempts to load them. The program will not launch.

Fortunately for me, all VST's on my workstation fall into either 1, or 2, and I have had no issues with 3. I do not have PrE on the workstation, so I do not know which catagores might come into play there.

Thanks for sharing your observations. In years here, I have not seen any VST issues with PrE, but there are many with PrPro, especially some of the Cubase VST's and especially Native Instruments.

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                    ACYL10 Level 1

Cheers guys,

Renaming or moving the VST Plugins folder is not an option. Many of the plugins internally link or are registered to their location. Changing the folder name borks those relationships.

The 'best' solution I have found so far is to change the VST Plugin location in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/VST) to something other than the plugin directory. Fortunately my audio softwares (that I have tested so far) all allow custom routing to particular folders for their plugins rather than relying on the registry.

Adobe people, please, for the love of all things good, give the option to specify, or at least disallow where the program is getting its plugins from rather than the .dll gangrape it is receiving at the moment.

• 7. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As we are all but lowly users here, you will need to file a Feature Request to get Adobe's attention.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                        Ozpeter Level 1

Nice find with that registy key - if I knew it before, I'd forgotten it!

• 9. Re: PE8: A Gripe and A Crash
                          ACYL10 Level 1

Done and done.

Thanks.