10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 6:45 PM by Steve C2

Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8

Steve C2 Level 2

Hi,

This might sound like a dumb question - the obvious answer is probably "for eight times the price of PE8, PP CS4 is obviously the better product."  So, please don't give the obvious answer.

I am planning on an upgrade at some point.  Currently using PE 3.02 under Windows Vista and will likely replacing os with Windows 7/64-bit.  I am currently running the 30 day trial of PP CS4.  It is obvious that it offers more effects and (possibly more) transitions than PE does.  Beyond that, what are the advantages.

I am looking for someone to convince me that CS4 is worth the upgrade.  I am not shooting HD - using Sony PD-170.   I don't need Soundbooth since I use Adobe Audition.  I am not able to evaluate Encore; currently I use a menu template in PE and substitute still photos for backgrounds and include jpg clips for sound.  What does Encore provide that I don't currently have?  I also do not have a need for OnLocation.  I am also not doing time code syncronization, although I record audio off-camera.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Encore provides full authoring of dvd where as PE7 offers ready made menu with no flexibility.

PE7 has more fancy effects than Pro, but a good editor does not use fancy stuff.

Pro has far more tools to work with, more advanced titler and several other features Elements cant provide.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
            Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your response.  I was wondering if you could expand on a couple of things for me, please.

1) What are the reasons that CS4 is a better editor?  Both programs can zoom to the same level of precision, I believe, and both programs provide the capture quality and produce much the same image quality.  Right?  So, does the answer come down to stability, size of projects, and/or some other issues (i.e. plugin availability).

2) Could you list some of the things that you can do in Encore that would be limitations in PE?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Steve C2 wrote:

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your response.  I was wondering if you could expand on a couple of things for me, please.

1) What are the reasons that CS4 is a better editor?  Both programs can zoom to the same level of precision, I believe, and both programs provide the capture quality and produce much the same image quality.  Right?  So, does the answer come down to stability, size of projects, and/or some other issues (i.e. plugin availability).

There are a lot of differences, but for simple cutting and basic templated DVD's; you may not be able to appreciae it.  Things like nested sequencesdynamic linking to Ae and Encore, pro media support and tools, audio handling, multicam; many of thse tools pros can not work without..For simple cutting, PE works great.

2) Could you list some of the things that you can do in Encore that would be limitations in PE?

Create a fully custom DVD.  PE is limted to wizard style menus.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Curt,

Thanks.  I guess I will upgrade to PE8 and it will become self-evident if I ever need PP CS.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's my viewpoint.

Premiere Pro is for professioanl editors - those who have completed a formal education, had some on-the-job training, and generally know what they're doing.  That crowd will already know the advantages of a professional NLE, and will make their decision between Premiere, Avid, Edius or Final Cut Pro.  For them, Premiere Elements isn't even a consideration.

Premiere Elements is for everyone else.

To make your choice, place yourself in one of those two categories.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                    Steve C2 Level 2

Jim,

Thanks.  I suspected that this is the case, but I had expected that Adobe would, in general, cripple PE, in terms of the quality of the output, etc.  Glad to know that this is not the case.

Steve

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Ann's comments on Encore, one would first find that the GUI and also the workflow between PrE 3 and PrPro is much closer. With PrE 4, I feel that Adobe "dumbed down" the entire process. Much more is now a "big button" process. This has held true through PrE 8.

Back about the introduction of PrE 4, I did a side-by-side comparison between PrE 4 and PrPro 2.0. That article was before the forum changeover, so it's probably gone by now. Personally, I found that doing almost everything in PrPro was easier, than in PrE. There are so many more controls, and when one does things like Keyframing, especially to animate Effects is easy in PrPro, but not so in PrE.

For me, just the inclusion of Encore would be worth it to me. The authoring capabilities of PrE are rudimentary, at best, and the interface is clunky.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                        Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I am still using PE 3 and have found the PrPro interface close enough for me to not need to read anything.  Still undecided, but your advice is very helpful.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Still undecided, but your advice is very helpful.

Good luck in your decision. For me, it'd be a "no brainer," but that is not fair, as I already had PrPro, when I got PrE 4. I use PrE as a utility for formats/CODEC's that do not work so well in PrPro. It's basically a "conversion program," but then so are CyberLink PowerDirector and Magix Movie Edit Pro.

Though the GUI of PrPro looks more involved, than the one in PrE 4, I find it so much easier to use. Things are where they belong, and very little is obscured. I believe that I would have liked PrE 3 better, but it had been replaced witht "new and improved" GUI. If anything, PrE 7 & 8 have been even more streamlined and more has been hidden behind automation, or at lease semi-automation.

If you do go with PrPro, please share your observations on using it/migrating to it, as yours is a fairly common question and others will benefit.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs PE 8
                            Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Hunt,

I might wind up with PrPro, after all.  Again, not sure, but it might take place.  I am also evaluating AfterEffects.  I am definitely interested in Photoshop, whether I go for CS4 now or wait for CS5.  If I choose to get two products, in one combination or another, PrPro as part of Production Premium  is a no-brainer from a cost perspective. 

It might seem strange, but I started with Premiere 6, which I received as part of a bundle with a camcorder.  Premiere 6 was unstable for me, at least on my system.  I think that it is strange that 6 should have been less stable than PE3, but maybe it wasn't intended for Windows XP. 

I have been doing a side-by-side comparison of CS4 and PE8, vs my current PE 3.02.  Nothing scientific and nothing with a stop watch, but I suspect that CS4 starts faster and/or possibly uses memory better.  Just a guess.  Only the Adobe folks and possibly some other forum participants would know.

If I do get CS4, I will share my experiences.  Right now, I don't see a compelling need for PE8 over PE 3.02.