3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 1:56 PM by Ned Murphy

How to drag and drop another swf or fla into a template?

DavidDoherty

I am building a flash website for a friend. We are using templates he purchased at flashden.net.

I normally use wordpress, joomla and other such systems and am familiar with html, php, cgi and such.

This is my first time dealing with a flash template.

I have downloaded the trial version of the software and he wants to purchase adobe flash professional for me

So that we can edit the template and add features he wants in the future.

The website that sells the templates says you can easily drag and drop addons to templates in flash

but I am not finding it so easy. Is there somewhere online where I can find a tutuorial on how to step by step

drag and drop flash files into another template etc.?

Also, where can I find good tutorials in general? I have downloaded adobe flash for dummies it is not as indepth as I need

to get a handle on this software.

Thank you to anyone that offers me any advice,

David Doherty

• 1. Re: How to drag and drop another swf or fla into a template?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your best bet for getting clarification regarding the drag and drop is to contact the sellers that make the claim about the ease of it.  They may have special types of add-ons in mind that may not be what you expected.  In general, you cannot just drag and drop Flash files into other Flash files, and depending on you do add them together you can lose functionality.

As far as good tutorials in general go, you might try lynda.com.  It is a fee-based tutorial site that quite a few folks have praised, though I have never used it myself.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to drag and drop another swf or fla into a template?
            DavidDoherty Level 1

Ned,

Thank you for responding.

Flashden.net does claim its a simple drag and drop operation to do this but they have little to know information on the site about the subject and

having difficulty with the sellers on step by step instructions. They claim it's easy it may be.

The person I am building the website for had a bad experience with one of the sellers who refused to offer anything but basic instructions and claimed the cost of the software was not worth his time.

Here are the instructions that were provided:

Open news_rotator.fla
              Go to library.
              Select and copy NewsRotator movie clip.
              Paste it into your own project’s library.
              Now, you can drag and drop it into your own movie clips.
              Use news.xml to add/remove headlines.

As you can see from what your telling me this is insufficent information on how to drag and drop this flash into another flash template.

I will attempt to contact other selers at flashden for information as I have other flash templates we have purchased.

Thank you,

David Doherty

• 3. Re: How to drag and drop another swf or fla into a template?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those instructions you just listed are easily doable, but they do not involve dragging and dropping an swf or fla into a template.  They are talking about copying and pasting items from one Flash file's library to another file's library, and then dragging an item from the library and dropping it onto the stage (or into the stage of another library object).