Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Free software to replace RoboHelp X5?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The chm file I need to edit has been compiled with RoboHelp X5. Does anybody know if the project itself ( the xpj file in the root of the project) can be opened for editing by any other software, if possible a freeware? Would it be possible to continue working on the project with anything else than RoboHelp?

Many thanks and all the best to you all!

Zita

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XPJ is a RH only file as are many of the other files in the project. It would help to know why you are looking for an alternative.

Whilst there may be freeware alternatives to RoboHelp and the other help authoring tools, guess why people pay for the proprietary programs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I am looking for an alternative, as I cannot have a RoboHelp license at this time. So, a freeware might be a solution, but none of the ones I found even recognize de xpj file, the project therefore cannot be edited.

Best regards,

Zita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you may face is that the content of the RH project may contain code that is propriety to RH. As such, no other HAT will recognise it. Whilst you may be able to work around these (note I use the word may) it would probably be more trouble than it is worth. You don't say what type of output was being generated from the project but if it is a CHM file, you could decompile it and import the HTML files into another HAT tool. Again though, you may run into problems with RH propriety code.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the RH source files, persumably you have a RH licence right? Perhaps you could ask around to see if anyone has the install CD?

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to all of you, I will probably have to get another RoboHelp license. Thought I'd try and ask, though! Thank you!

Zita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you need another license. Can you not find the serial number and CD?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately not, RoboHelp was installed once, on another computer, on which the chm file was created. Then, I moved the entire project onto a "RoboHelp-free" computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK. Without the serial number and CD, there is not much you can do. I believe Adobe will issue new numbers with a proof of purchase but not for anything beyond the current and previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp