• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

continue numbering after snippet - it always restarts.

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 HTML

Hi all.

I have several topics that are using the same 5 steps of a procedure, which I've put into a snippet, and then add several more numbered steps to the list which are specific to the topic.

I want the added steps, that aren't part of the snippet to continue the numbering. right now I have the 5 numbered steps in the snippet, and the added steps specific to each topic restart at 1, rather than continuing from 6.

eg.

1 Go to Search

2 Enter your text

3 Select your criteria

4 Choose the .....

5 Click Search.

1 From the ... window click .....   -  This step is a continuation from the previous 5 but the numbering doesn't continue, instead it restarts.

Is there a way to continue numbering from a snippet?

Thanks.

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

The only way of achieving this is to restart the numbering of the list item after the snippet at the required number. You may want to submit a feature request for this.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way of achieving this is to restart the numbering of the list item after the snippet at the required number. You may want to submit a feature request for this.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks, thats what I was looking for. Though not a 'perfect' solution, its one that I can deal with for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I think that's it impossible to let the numbering simply continue. You can however start the next list where you left of in your snippet. Select the number and right click. Select Bullets and Numbering. Check Restart numbering at and select the number you want your list to continue. Note that you'll have to change all these lists when you add an extra step in your snippet

Some other options you may consider:

- Can you split the lists with a header or something? Something like: This consists of two procedures, 1. Your snippet and 2. Your 'hard' text.

- Are these steps basic steps? If so, you can use a variable like: First, do x. and set that variable in your list. You then set these first five steps as basic knowledge in a getting started tutorial and reference that tutorial.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp