5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2009 12:00 PM by heathrowe

Resize photo but not vector mask?

jdldn Level 1

If I use a vector drawing as a mask for a photo, can I then edit the photo and mask individually?

There is a point in the center of the photo that lets me move it around behind the mask, but how can I resize the photo without resizing the mask, and resize the mask without resizing the photo?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Resize photo but not vector mask?
          pixlor Level 4

You should be able to select the masked object, then ungroup them (Modify > Ungroup). After that, just resize either element as you wish, then reapply the mask (select both, then Modify > Mask > Group as Mask).

There may be a cleverer way to do it, I don't know.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Resize photo but not vector mask?
            jdldn Level 1

Thanks pixlor. Anyone know a shortcut?

• 3. Re: Resize photo but not vector mask?
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Hold Alt/Option + Click that blue center point to move/adjust the Mask regardless if the Layer thumbnail is active.

As for resizing them independently, I am not aware of any shortcuts except to:

Delink (click/toggle off the link between the Layer thumbnail and the Mask thumbnail)

Select the Mask Thumbnail.

Change the Values (W/H) in the PI. (You can also do the same thing here for the active Layer thumbnail)

Here is a trick I use a lot of the times:

Use Auto Shapes as Masks. These are the ones that have on-canvas 'controller' points that allow you to resize, change corners etc.

Example:

A. Open/Import an image file.

B. Edit>Cut the image/bitmap to the clipboard.

C. Add a Rounded Rectangle object on the canvas, and have it active before moving to the next step.

D. Edit > Paste Inside the clipboard contents (the image).

The result is your image with the a Vector Mask conformed to the Auto Shape (in this case the Rounded Rectangle).

Now here's the rub - select the Vector Mask thumbnail, and you should still see it's 'anchor controllers': Resize and Corner Radius.

h

• 4. Re: Resize photo but not vector mask?
                jdldn Level 1

Thanks a lot.

• 5. Re: Resize photo but not vector mask?
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

your welcome