Ran into a little glitch this morning. A friend of mine brought me a hard drive with an AE collected project on it. He didn't have any spare drives, so he copied it onto his Time Machine drive. Well, I have Time Machine too. So I had two drives on my machine called "Time Machine". When AE opened the project, I got loads of "file not found" errors for each imported item. Kinda scared me. And I couldn't figure out why. But when I unplugged my Time Machine drive, AE was able to find all the files just fine.
So should I file this as a bug report with Apple or Adobe? AE is looking at just the drive name and not a more unique identifier. Shouldn't it start looking for comp elements using a volume identifier like dev/disk1 instead of Volumes/drivename? If I open a project on one drive, wouldn't AE think to look for media in the same drive/directory?
If you think that there's a bug here or a feature request to be made, go ahead and file the bug report or feature request.
It's not surprising to me that an application is confused when you have two drives attached to the same machine with the same drive name. I'd avoid that.
True enough, it's a rare circumstance. But considering how "smart" AE usually is at finding source files, it was surprising that it got so confused (And clicking through 70 modal error messages was very annoying)
I filed a report anyway.
I don't think it's any bug or design limitation. On the contrary. Storing device info would go against AE's projects being cross-platform. In my view the behavior is 100% correct - store the relative path to the parent folder. It's really user error and a combination of rare circumstances.