5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 3:43 PM by Jim_Simon

Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?

sync2rhythm Level 1

I saw on the Matrox site where they say the Parhelia Card offers, "Matrox PureVideo to view hardware-accelerated video playback in a video window on one display and full-screen on another display." - and the RT.X2 offers, "Matrox RT.X2 provides full-resolution HD monitoring on an inexpensive flat panel display via its independent DVI output."

Does anyone know 'Inexpensive' ways to edit w/ 2monitors & use a 3rd as your Full HD Program/Preview monitor?

(We shoot/edit XDCam-EX and do NOT have an NTSC HD Monitor))

• 1. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just use any old second (not in SLI or Crossfire mode) PCIe graphics card and monitor that can do 1920 x1200 for a third HD preview monitor.

• 2. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
            sync2rhythm Level 1

Just use any old second (not in SLI or Crossfire mode) PCIe graphics card and monitor that can do 1920 x1200 for a third HD preview monitor.

Really?

So, will this:

#1 - Give me the option of setting it up exactly how they show it in the screengrab w/ 3 screens... whereas, I can have Premiere spread across 2 and a Full HD Program/Monitor (same as if I had an NTSC HD monitor) alongside my normal editing interface on the 3rd?

-or-

#2 - Will this just give me an extra monitor whereas I'll have to drag my Program/Preview window and expand it to full screen?

-- I would prefer a method that would give me option #1 so I can continue my edit while allowing someone sitting close by to see the FullScreen HD Program playing on the 3rd monitor.

Although I am yet to hook it up, (stilll waiting on the WorkStation/NLE to arrive) Thank You Bill Gehrke for pointing me in the right direction.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1980053#1980053 <--- CS4 HD Monitoring

"Since you are already running dual monitors you might just try installing a second graphics card and try to see if you can enable the "Playback Settings" to have your playback on a third screen."

• 3. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not have three screens but I do have one screen with Premiere running and then the second screen with a full HD preview that is selected by going to the playback settings as below

Playback-Settings.jpg

I do not see any reason why it would not show the third monitor.  Here is my two monitor setup:

Editing-station.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
                sync2rhythm Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Here is my two monitor setup:

Editing-station.jpg

Very cool! This IS the exact setup I'm hoping for with this new workstation... plus a Third monitor. (2 on bottom - 1 on top)

--- When using a Computer Monitor as your Full Screen Program monitor, is there a special way or tool you use to adjust its Color, Contrast, etc so you can trust it same as you would a calibrated NTSC Monitor?

• 5. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

so you can trust it same as you would a calibrated NTSC Monitor?

I wouldn't.  Get a real HDTV for the task, and properly calibrate it.