5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 3:43 PM by Jim_Simon

Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?

sync2rhythm Level 1

I saw on the Matrox site where they say the Parhelia Card offers, "Matrox PureVideo to view hardware-accelerated video playback in a video window on one display and full-screen on another display." - and the RT.X2 offers, "Matrox RT.X2 provides full-resolution HD monitoring on an inexpensive flat panel display via its independent DVI output."

Does anyone know 'Inexpensive' ways to edit w/ 2monitors & use a 3rd as your Full HD Program/Preview monitor?

(We shoot/edit XDCam-EX and do NOT have an NTSC HD Monitor))

• 1. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Just use any old second (not in SLI or Crossfire mode) PCIe graphics card and monitor that can do 1920 x1200 for a third HD preview monitor.

• 2. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
            sync2rhythm Level 1

Just use any old second (not in SLI or Crossfire mode) PCIe graphics card and monitor that can do 1920 x1200 for a third HD preview monitor.

Really?

So, will this:

#1 - Give me the option of setting it up exactly how they show it in the screengrab w/ 3 screens... whereas, I can have Premiere spread across 2 and a Full HD Program/Monitor (same as if I had an NTSC HD monitor) alongside my normal editing interface on the 3rd?

-or-

#2 - Will this just give me an extra monitor whereas I'll have to drag my Program/Preview window and expand it to full screen?

-- I would prefer a method that would give me option #1 so I can continue my edit while allowing someone sitting close by to see the FullScreen HD Program playing on the 3rd monitor.

Although I am yet to hook it up, (stilll waiting on the WorkStation/NLE to arrive) Thank You Bill Gehrke for pointing me in the right direction.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1980053#1980053 <--- CS4 HD Monitoring

"Since you are already running dual monitors you might just try installing a second graphics card and try to see if you can enable the "Playback Settings" to have your playback on a third screen."

• 3. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I do not have three screens but I do have one screen with Premiere running and then the second screen with a full HD preview that is selected by going to the playback settings as below

Playback-Settings.jpg

I do not see any reason why it would not show the third monitor.  Here is my two monitor setup:

Editing-station.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
                sync2rhythm Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Here is my two monitor setup:

Editing-station.jpg

Very cool! This IS the exact setup I'm hoping for with this new workstation... plus a Third monitor. (2 on bottom - 1 on top)

--- When using a Computer Monitor as your Full Screen Program monitor, is there a special way or tool you use to adjust its Color, Contrast, etc so you can trust it same as you would a calibrated NTSC Monitor?

• 5. Re: Previewing via DVI Monitor... possible?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

so you can trust it same as you would a calibrated NTSC Monitor?

I wouldn't.  Get a real HDTV for the task, and properly calibrate it.