5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 7:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Cannot connect to host

travelinpj
      I'm not the expert that many of you seem to be... I had a laptop that was running XP and it died. I now have one that is running Vista. Before the other laptop died, I managed to save all my web site files to an external hard drive. Now, after working on the site, I went to "put" and the icon will not allow me to connect to the host. I clicked on the "testing server" option and all of the file folders came back red. I'm running Dreamweaver 8 from the Studio 8.

I'm in over my head and trying to get my web page up before my students get here in a week.... Any help for this beginner?
        • 1. Re: Cannot connect to host
          Level 7
          Do you have a REMOTE site defined in your Site definition? You should
          always first consult DW's F1 Help about things like this.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"travelinpj" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g63um9$7ng$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm not the expert that many of you seem to be... I had a laptop that was
          > running XP and it died. I now have one that is running Vista. Before the
          > other laptop died, I managed to save all my web site files to an external
          > hard
          > drive. Now, after working on the site, I went to "put" and the icon will
          > not
          > allow me to connect to the host. I clicked on the "testing server" option
          > and
          > all of the file folders came back red. I'm running Dreamweaver 8 from the
          > Studio 8.
          >
          > I'm in over my head and trying to get my web page up before my students
          > get
          > here in a week.... Any help for this beginner?
          >

• 2. Re: Cannot connect to host
            travelinpj Level 1
            Thanks for responding Ace.

Next to "access" I have local/network.

Then under that it says "remote folder" and it lists the drive for my external hard drive and the file in which everything is located.

Is it having everything on the external hard drive that is messing it up? Does all need to be "on" the machine?
            • 3. Re: Cannot connect to host
              Level 7

news:g64j7f$m1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks for responding Ace.
              >
              > Next to "access" I have local/network.
              >
              > Then under that it says "remote folder" and it lists the drive for my
              > external
              > hard drive and the file in which everything is located.
              >
              > Is it having everything on the external hard drive that is messing it up?
              > Does all need to be "on" the machine?

It's probably better to move it onto the machine's hard drive, yes.

Read Murray's post: Do you have a remote site defined in your site
              definitions? If you're not sure, read DW's F1 Help on the topic. It's pretty
              straightforward: you put into a site definition the FTP connection
              information (host URL, username and password) that your host gave you, as
              well as the exact location of your local files and your remote files.

--
              Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
              Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
              Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
              --

• 4. Re: Cannot connect to host
                travelinpj Level 1
                Yeah, I don't quite understand all the concepts in the DW's... But I have a friend who will get it! Thanks for your help.
                • 5. Re: Cannot connect to host
                  Level 7

news:g64oft$660$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Yeah, I don't quite understand all the concepts in the DW's... But I have
                  > a friend who will get it! Thanks for your help.

You'll get help here, too, but usually not for something which is explained
                  in straightforward steps in the Help files. If after you read that section
                  carefully you still have questions, post away and I'm sure you'll get
                  answers.

--
                  Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                  Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                  Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                  --