1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2010 2:41 PM by PenguinPat

Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8

BernardJL

We just updated to Premiere Elements 8 and it has been working fine except for one specific problem.  When we exit Premiere Elements 8 we cannot start it up again without restarting the computer!

We have determined that after shutting down Premiere Elements 8, it leaves two processes running:  "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe *32" and "ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe *32".  They are both doing something since they are eating CPU cycles (24% to 28% of our cycles).  They are also holding done quite a bit of memory.

We have taken to killing those two processes (to save the reboot time) in order to bring up Premiere Elements 8 again.

What is going on here?  Why are those two processes left and why can't we start the program again.  When we do attempt to start it, the welcome screen goes into its "waiting mode" and you can see at the left of the screen "launching application".  After about 30 seconds, it just goes back to its normal opening screen.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Bernie

• 1. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BernardJL

What are your computer resources and specs? Have you checked them against the Adobe published System Requirements?

Did you see the comments of Ozpeter on the subject of the AutoAnalyzer in a current thread?

To be continued....

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In addition, it might be worth turning off the Auto Analyzer function in the program. (It will prevent you from using the Auto Enhance feature, but that's up to you.)

To turn it off, open the Organizer and go to Edit/Preferences/Auto Analyzer and uncheck the boxes.

• 3. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
              Ozpeter Level 1

Looks like I'll have to post a 3rd party program in the next day or two to sort this problem!  Watch this space...

• 4. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

That is all in Ozpeter thread that focused on this issue. Sorry that I did not post the link earlier to make it easier to find.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/501214?tstart=0

I am looking forward to Ozpeter's follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides this AutoAnalyzer module, with which I am unfamiliar, both PrE and PrPro run a "cleanup" utility, when the programs are shut down. Both NLE programs will create tons of temp files, that are used in the editing. Some are saved, like CFA's, PEK's and Render files for later sessions, but there are often others, that are NOT retained, and must be cleaned out.

Depending on one's I/O sub-system setup, this might happen almost instantly, or might take a bit. If, for instance, one has their Project on a slow external HDD, this could take several minutes. On my laptop, or my workstation, it's so quick that I have to be watching Task Manager to even see it.

This may not be part of what is being seen, but there IS some activity, upon shutdown of PrE and PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                    Ozpeter Level 1

My little utility will provide for PE8 to continue to run for, say, 30 seconds after the user closes it, which I would have thought would be enough time for it to clean up.  I think it will have the following options -

1 - Run PE8 from its new welcome screen, then after exiting PE8, wait 30 secs and kill any remaining process.

2 - Run PE8 without the welcome screen, then after exiting PE8, wait 30 secs and kill any remaining process.

3 - Kill PE8 and the analyzer immediately (to save going to the task manager) without running PE8 at all.

It won't take long to put together but I can't start on it for another 24 hours.  Obviously those not encountering this problem won't want it.

• 7. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                      BernardJL Level 1

A. T. Romano, thanks for the reference to the discussion about the "Auto Analyzer".  I think I will look to disable this program.

After my previous post and some experimentation, we realized that it is only the process "Premier Elements" that needs to be killed in order to bring up "Premier Elements" again.

So for some reason, that process hangs around and it is not clear why a new instance of "Premier Elements" can not attach to it and start up again.  The "start menu" seems to act like it is trying to do that but fails.

This has got to be some sort of bug with the software.

As to the specifications for the machine....it is an Intel X64 Quad Core with 8GB of RAM.  We have not checked the minimum specs but figured this should be enough.

Based on your input we are going to try the following steps:

1. Configure the software so that the "Auto Analyzer" does not run.  This should double the amount of free CPU cycles for the "Premier Elements" background process.
                      2. Check to see if we wait for some time if the background process finally ends.
                      3. Otherwise, we will run some sort of script to kill the thing each time we want to run the program.

That last option sounds pretty bad...given that we have been using Premier Elements 7 with absolutely no problems.  It was not until this upgrade we paid for that all this mess started.

Anyhow I will post here what happens, and if you have any other ideas we would appreciate the help.

Bernie

• 8. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                        BernardJL Level 1

Steve, we will give that a try.  We figured out that we only need to kill the "Premier Elements" process and then we can restart it.  So removing the "Auto Analyzer" was not required to get it to restart.  However from the other posts, it seems it would provide more free cycles to "Premier Elements" and maybe that will cause it to shutdown in a reasonable period of time.

Thanks for the help, we will let you know that happens.

Bernie

• 9. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                          BernardJL Level 1

The Wine Snob, thanks for the information.  We thought this was running some sort of cleanup at first.  We are on a relatively fast 3Gb/s SATA drive so there should not be a particular problem with I/O throughput.

In any case, if that process is running some lengthy cleanup, then:

1. We have never had this problem with Premiere Elements 7.  It only started once we did this upgrade
                          2. Even if this is running in background, why doesn't another instance of the program, connect properly to this background task?  The start menu seems to know that it is running in background since it show "launching new project" rather than the normal "loading all sorts of objects".

This is driving us crazy and we keep wondering if no one else is having this program, what are we doing wrong?

Thanks again for you help,

Bernie

• 10. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            We are on a relatively fast 3Gb/s SATA drive so there should not be a particular problem with I/O throughput.

I have never seen a 3GB SATA II HDD. What brand is this? Interesting, as the biggest that I have yet encountered is a 1.5TB HDD.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                              BernardJL Level 1

Wine Snob,

Thanks for the quick response.  What I meant to say is that the disk drive has a listed data transfer rate of 3 Gigabit per second.  In addition, the controller is rated at the same speed.

Hope that helps.

• 12. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that clarification. I was about to heat up my AMEX card to go buy some!

Hunt

• 13. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                  kermit-999 Level 1

I have just installed PE 8, and I'm getting the same problem, namely being unable to close the program cleanly, I have to go to the Task Manager and KILL the process manually. There must be some way to cure this? Just hope your prog (when written) will solve it. Adobe certainly aint interested, emailed them and havn't even had a reply!

• 14. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Kermit,

Welcome to the forum.

emailed them and havn't even had a reply!

I hope that Adobe does get back to you. They have expressed a strong desire to "clean up their act," with regards to TS/CS. Let's all hope that they do. Be patient, and when they do respond, please update this thread with their suggested resolution. With the number of comments on this odd behavior, I hope that there is a "cure."

Please let us know what they offer, and good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                      premiere-newbee

I read this post and checked my Program manager myself. The damn Analyzer is indeed in the background eating close to 250Mb of memory. OMG!

I tuend off Analyzer in the settings, closed PE and killed the Analyzer from the memory. And now cannot start PE8.0 at all. It takes forever for the Welcome menu to appear and now when I click open project, the running bar reaches 100% and the screen freezes. You go in and out of the window, PE page turms all grey and PE stops responding. I tried waiting. I tried restarting my computer cold at least five times. The same effect. This new release sucks big time since it is giving so much grief. I have been trying to burn my simple weekly project for 8 days now. I am two projects behind.  It is driving nuts. Never expected so many bugs from Adobe. Shame-shame-shame.

• 16. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                        BernardJL Level 1

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice for this problem.  Here is our current situation which enabled us to get some work done.....

-- We brought up "Photoshop Elements" and via the "Preferences" turned off the "Auto Analyzer" thing.  Afterwards we closed "Photoshop Elements" and rebooted the computer.  This removed the "Analyzer" for now. 

NOTE:  It might be that since this is a new install of "Elements" that the "Analyzer" is processing everything until it catches up with all the pictures and videos we have on this machine.  We will look into that when we are not working on a project.  (i.e. start it up and let it have the machine for the next day or so).

-- We start up "Premier Elements" and changed that welcome screen via the little config bar to "start-up Premier Elements with the welcome screen".  There seems to be no way to remove the welcome screen.  So now "Premier" comes up with the click.

-- We try really hard NOT TO SHUTDOWN Premiere Elements.  We just close projects and open other projects.  This seems to work OK for us.

-- If we do need to shutdown Premiere Elements, when we are ready to start it up again we open the "task manager" and check to see if there is a "process" running name "Premiere Elements".  If so we "kill process tree" to stop the thing.  And then proceed to bring it back up.

With all this, we were able to work nicely with Premiere Elements and get things done.  We also did a lot of "saves" after every change to insure a crash would not be so bad.

If anyone knows of any fixes for this new version or has some other ideas, we would apprecitate it.

Thanks again for all the comments.

• 17. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                          premiere-newbee Level 1

QTE

We start up "Premier Elements" and changed that welcome screen via the little config bar to "start-up Premier Elements with the welcome screen".  There seems to be no way to remove the welcome screen.  So now "Premier" comes up with the click.

UNQTE

Would u please share this point in more detail?

• 18. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                            BernardJL Level 1

Sure.  Whenever we click to start "Premier Elements 8" it brings up a white block in the middle of the screen that says something like "Welcome".  On the left side of that window you have two choices (I am not at the computer right now so I am doing this from memory).  One is "Open existing Project" or "Create a New Project".

You then need to click on the choice to get things started.

However, before you do that, look at the "Welcome Box" at the top right of the window.  There you can see the usual "X" to close the window.  But right next to that is another icon (sort of looks like a list).  If you click that icon it will bring up some selections.

They say something like "Startup Welcome Screen" and "Startup Premier Elements with Welcome Screen".  You can only select one of these.  We select the one that says "Startup Premier Elements with Welcome Screen".

Then exit out of all that.

Now when you go from the Windows Start menu to and click on "Premier Elements 8".  The welcome screen shows up but in a few seconds Premier Elements starts behind that window.  Now click the "X" and you are looking at Premiere Elements and you are ready to go.

Hope that clears it up.  Let me know if that helps.

• 19. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Premiere-Newbee

I have a thread running in this forum about Premiere Elements 8 First Look

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497028?tstart=30

Check out my comments in post #38 in which I detail the observations of Ozpeter on the Premiere Elements 8 Welcome Screen. I think that will go to the core of your questions on the Welcome Screen. If not, please let me know what is missing and I will try to find a workflow that works for you.

ATR

• 20. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                Ozpeter Level 1

Nice find, that little configuration box, BernardJL - I hadn't spotted that myself.  Having the last option in it selected certainly speeds things up.

Hopefully you've now seen http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503486?tstart=0 where the promised little program to workaround these problems is posted.  I think that should help with some of your problems at least.

• 21. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                  premiere-newbee Level 1

Thanks to all for the replies. Awesome tips on the PE 8.0 preview. Hats off for the time very well spent.

p.s. I take it my DD 5.1 audio recorded on my Sony HDD camera will be downgraded to a stereo sound on PE8 during the export?

• 22. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497028?tstart=30

premiere-newbee

Take a look at the information on Premiere Elements 8 and 5.1 channel sound in the above link (especially posts 17, 19, and 20).

Bottom line is that, depending on your export choice, you can import video with 5.1 channel sound (Dolby Digital aka AC-3) and export the video with 5.1 channel sound, but that export audio will not have the Dolby Digital codec, but (for example) have the AAC codec with 5.1 channel.

Check it out.

ATR

• 23. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                      kermit-999 Level 1

Yes, I've had some contact with Adobe through the Technical Help Centre.. Not promising at all !

I have been given a document to follow, which only deals with installation problems (cpsid_51427)

! have been told to run the CS4 Clean Script using document kb406241 (As PrE isn't even mentioned it wasn't surprising nothing was found amiss !)

The best one is: "As the Task Manager will not close the program it must be a Microsoft problem, so contact Microsoft with the same problem and see what they say"

I think Adobe does not wish to be bothered with this now. They have their money, so its no longer their problem ! I've given up and reverted back to PrE 7 - at least that performs as it should !! By the way, I've just installed Windows 7 (clean install), and PrE 8 behaves the same !!

• 24. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR (aka Tony, aka AT Romero)

Interesting observations on the AAC 5.1 CODEC. That got me to wondering a bit.

In DVD-Video (I think the same specs. for BD, but am not positive), there are two Audio formats/CODEC's that are allowed*, PCM/WAV and AC3 (which may be stereo, 2-channel, or DD 5.1 SS). Any other Audio stream has to be used on a supplemental Audio Track. One can have supplemental Audio Tracks, like DTS, etc., but these are only accessible via Menu, or via the remote's Audio button in most cases.

If one is NOT going to DVD-Video, there would likely be no issue. For DVD-Video, and probably BD, one would still have some work to do.

Thanks for pointing out the DD 5.1 SS handling in PrE 8.

Hunt

* In PAL-land, MPEG Audio is also an "optional" Audio format, but this is being phased out. NTSC has only had PCM/WAV and AC3 (see above) as the allowed "primary" Audio stream.

• 25. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ROMANO HERE.

Are you talking about playback outside of Premiere Elements 8?? At the level of the DVD player/home theater sound system?? Could you elaborate on where you are when you say

"Any other Audio stream has to be used on a supplemental Audio Track. One can have supplemental Audio Tracks, like DTS, etc., but these are only accessible via Menu, or via the remote's Audio button in most cases".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

Nomenclature clouds some of these matters, especially when it comes to Dolby Digital which is the name for the compression type for Dolby Digital. Often you see AC-3 representing Dolby Digital whether it be Stereo (2 channel), Mono (1 channel), or 5.1 Surround Sound. More recently, you will see it used synonymously with Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

So in your comments are you focusing on the supported audio compression formats for DVD or BluRay

Dolby Digital (DD or AC-3 generically speaking)

Dolby Digital (AC-3 synonymous with Dolby Digital 5.1 channel)

Advanced Audio Codec (AAC)

Digital Theater Sound (DTS)

and where?

I came across the following link which you may have already seen

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

ATR

• 26. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I am talking about the use of DD 5.1 SS in the authoring of DVD-Video for playback either on a properly equiped computer via software player, or a set-top player hooked to a Home Theater system.

I do this from PrPro, through Encore, but have to rely on the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in for PrPro. Note: Encore cannot monitor the DD 5.1 SS, and only works in "pass-through" mode, but on a properly equiped computer, PrPro will play/monitor it perfectly, during editing.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                              Nomenclature clouds some of these matters, especially when it comes to Dolby Digital which is the name for the compression type for Dolby Digital. Often you see AC-3 representing Dolby Digital whether it be Stereo (2 channel), Mono (1 channel), or 5.1 Surround Sound. More recently, you will see it used synonymously with Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

Yes, there can be confusion and that is why I always differentiate when I mean DD 5.1 SS. AC3 can have different types of DD (Dolby Digital) Audio streams, but I was specifically asking about DD 5.1 SS, and commenting on the same.

So in your comments are you focusing on the supported audio compression formats for DVD or BluRay

Dolby Digital (DD or AC-3 generically speaking)

Dolby Digital (AC-3 synonymous with Dolby Digital 5.1 channel)

Advanced Audio Codec (AAC)

Digital Theater Sound (DTS)

and where?

My focus was specifically to the authoring of DVD-Video (BD also figures in) with DD 5.1 SS Audio.

As for DTS (and some others like ProLogic), I use these, but they are only allowed as "supplemental Audio streams," and cannot be the "primary Audio stream," due to the limitations of the DVD-spec.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I came across the following link which you may have already seen

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

Nice article, that I had not seen before - thanks. It is now bookmarked. The author distills much of what knowledge is out there, regarding DVD-Video and BD, and covers a lot of the competing schemes.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                  kermit-999 Level 1

This thread seems to have strayed from its original problem, ie:- "Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8". Have I missed something, has ADOBE sorted this problem out and I havn't heard about it, or has everyone just forgot about it, and just happy to use the workaround posted elsewhere in this forum ? 

• 30. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                    BernardJL Level 1

Kermit-999,

No the problem has not been solved at all.  The programs outlined above are workarounds that do allow a restart of the program without rebooting the machine.

As outlined in my original problem description all we can do is to a) try not to shutdown the program and b) use the task manager to kill off the process that is left behind.  The link to that program is a good alternative and if our inconvenience factor goes up we will definitely use that.

So I suppose for us at least "that is the way it works" until Adobe comes out with an update or patch.

Thanks for the follow-up.

• 31. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                      -Subbi Adobe Employee

This used to happen on my desk PC. (Premiere Elements keeps running in the background after quitting). But strangely enough, this does not happen anymore. But I did one BIG change here, I formatted the system and now I have only one OS (Vista) installed. Earlier I had multiple partition and had XP and VISTA on two different drives.

Is this the case with anyone else ?

EM

• 32. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                        kermit-999 Level 1

No, the problem I'm having with PrE 8 is that it refused to close down

cleanly, and is still running in the background. It's window has closed, and

will not re-open, although the program is still running. Only by manually

killing the task in the Task Manager can control be regained. This has

happened ever since I installed PrE 8 on my Vista machine (no other OS).

Since then I have installed Windows 7 (a clean install, by itself, no other

OS) and PrE 8 is still playing the naughty child!. I have now reinstalled

PrE 7 as that version behaves itself perfectly, and hope Adobe comes up with

a solution,

kermit

• 33. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                          Beany from Brooklyn Level 1

I have a new Dell and PE8 and have the same problem. Vista 64, 8gig RAM and fast HD.

Task manager kills works but there is a bug.

I also have a Auto Analyzer problem where it takes 500meg of RAM. think i should turn it off.

If anyone ever figuires out from Adobe what the issue is, please keep us posted

• 34. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                            -Subbi Adobe Employee

Check this thread.
                                                                            http://forums.adobe.com/message/2369282#2369282

"application not quitting issue is mostly seen with the NVIDIA drivers on the system. In this case either reverting back to the original drivers that comes with the card helps or disabling the service of this card helps premiere elements breathe free "

EM

• 35. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                              gregc24

I FIGURED THIS OUT!!!!  Thanks to all your wonderful comments, I think

I figured out the problem and the solution!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee here it goes:

1. Right click on your desktop

2. Click on NVIDIA Control Panel

3. Click on the "Global Settings" tab

4. Click on the "Threaded Optimization" item

5. Change it from "Auto" to "Off"

No more Adobe Premiere left as a running task once you exit the software!!!

Actually the way I did it was to click on the "Program Settings Tab" and

add Premiere by navigating to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0

Then changing the "Threaded Optimization" item to Off only for that program and

leaving it as Auto in the global settings.

Let me know if this works for everyone!!

I have no idea what this does or what it means or what the problem is,

I figured it out purely by trial and error and reading other messages in this thread.

• 36. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                                kermit-999 Level 1

Hi Greg .. I have just tried your NVIDIA trick, and yes, it WORKS ! I am

using Windows 7 and a Nvidia 9600GT graphics card. It took a bit of head

scratching to figure out your instructions, but got there in the end. There

are two items named Adobe Premier Elements in the folder, one named "8" and

the other just Elements, which is what we want (the one that shows in the

Task Manager as Premier Elements 8.exe) Many thanks for figuring it out!!!

Kermit

• 37. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                                  BernardJL Level 1

Greg, this is definitely the fix for us here.

We turned off the "Threaded Optimization" and now the program starts and stops just as you would expect.

We don't know how you managed to get that one but thanks so much for your work in tracking this down.

It's folks like you that create real value on the Internet.  Your efforts are appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 38. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Greg

I have a NVIDIA GeForce MX440 with AGP8X for my Windows XP SP3 computer/Premiere Elements 8.

I have gotten into the NVIDIA Control Panel and found Global Settings in the 3D area only. In all the programs listed in that area, or if I add Premiere Elements 8, there is no "Threaded Optimization" option. There is a "Hardware Acceleration" option, but with no option to turn it off. It does have several compatibility settings however. Do you know if your "Threaded Optimization" option is exclusive to just your series of NVIDIA card?

I have seen reports of a user turning the Hardware Acceleration to None under Display to bring about some stabilization with regard to Premiere Elements 8, but that would be appear to be another issue.

Thanks for any comments. And, thanks for your contribution which has worked for so many.

ATR

• 39. Re: Cannot restart Premiere Elements 8
                                                                                      kermit-999 Level 1

Try this ATR,

When you have the Nvidia Control Panel on screen select 'Manage 3D Settings'

on left under 'Select Task'

On the window that opens select 'Program Settings'

Click 'ADD', then navigate your way to the Adobe folder, select 'ADOBE

PREMIER ELEMENTS' (not adobe premier elements 8)

When you have 'Adobe Premier Elements.exe' selected in the Program Settings

on the Nvidia Control Panel, scroll down the features item to locate

'Threaded Optimisation' and click on it.

You should now see it highlighted with a scroll down arrow on its right.

Click the arrow, select 'OFF', then click 'APPLY' at the bottom right of the

window, then EXIT...

That should be it .. Good Luck,

AND many thanks to Greg for digging out the solution, how he managed to work

it out is a mystery to me, but a godsend ! Cheers mate

1 2 Previous Next