16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 6:13 AM by A.T. Romano

render & stay at the same location

TRUE_SEEKER Level 1

Is there a switch, setting, or something that will enable to render several items by hitting the Enter Key  & stay at the same location on the screen where the curser is setting?

• 1. Re: render & stay at the same location
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If by cursor, you mean the CTI (Current Time Indicator), then yes.

Go to Edit>Preferences>General and uncheck "Play work area after rendering previews."

As of doing a Render of just portions, use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to select the area of the Timeline to Render. Note: you can ONLY do contiguous sections, not separated, multiple settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: render & stay at the same location
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at both the Edit>Preferences>General dialog screen, and also the WAB (Work Area Bar):

PE_Preferences_WAB.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: render & stay at the same location
              A.T. Romano Level 7

True Seeker

Earlier this afternoon you asked the exact same question at another forum that I frequent, and I answered there with the same response as did Hunt.

Are neither of us answering the question that you are really asking. Or, are you just asking for a second opinion at this forum.

The second opinion does not concern me. I am just concerned that we are not helping you because we might not be understanding your question.

Please let me know, either here and/or at the other forum, if you have the information that you need to move forward.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: render & stay at the same location
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I am just concerned that we are not helping you because we might not be understanding your question.

Valid point, and now one with which I am concerned too. Sometimes, it's easy to misunderstand exactly what a poster might really want - especially for an old guy, such as myself.

@ Truth_Seeker, please let us know if we're on the right track, or are both missing what you need.

Good luck, and thank you,

Hunt

PS - ATR, thanks for pointing this out. I was a bit uncertain of the specific, and that is why I started my post with a qualification. Whatever the complete issue is, I'll bet that we can help.

• 5. Re: render & stay at the same location
                  TRUE_SEEKER Level 1

I am very new at using the PE7 forum & posted the first time in the incorrect section –so I was told.

A kind member of the forum transferred me over thus the second query.

I thank everyone involved in providing me the answer to my question.

• 6. Re: render & stay at the same location
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that you got your questions answered. If so, you might want to make the post as Answered, and let us all know which answers worked for you. This will help others in the future, should they have the same question - they'll know what worked.

That "kind soul" was most likely Steve Grisetti, our forum MOD. He does a good job at getting posts moved to the proper place. This always helps the poster, because out here in the main forum, more will see the post and can reply.

I also hope that you saw my posts regarding e-mail notifications, from another thread. As one has a couple of choices, the wrong one, can quickly fill an in-box. Because this is a common question on this, and most Adobe fora, I did a Tips & Tricks article on setting things, as one wishes. Even "old-timers" were horribly confused, when the forum changeover happened. All of the old e-mail notification settings did not work with the new forum software.

Should you have any questions, let us know, and hope your in-box stays clean now!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: render & stay at the same location
                      rawatts Level 1

Maybe the other Posters know, but I believe that this movement of the CTI seems to be part of the basic programming of of Elements and CS3 (these are the two editors I use).  This CTI movement (your screen is moved to the CTI) also happens when you save a file.  I have been submitting this as a feature request (to stop this movement) for the last few versions, but as you can see we must be the only ones that are bothered by this.

Steve - I am still waiting for my copy of PE8, but is it time for feature requests for PE9?

Bob

• 8. Re: render & stay at the same location
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

As I told truthseeker in another forum and reminded truthseeker  again here, preventing the CTI movement/automatic run through of the Timeline after Rendering can easily be taken care of by unchecking "Play work area after Rendering previews" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

But, you are introducing something that I have never heard of or seen (I have Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and tryout 8, that is, movement of the CTI in the Save process. I looked at that again after I saw your posted comments, and do not see that happening with Save or Save As of a project .prel for Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, or tryout 8. Perhaps, I am missing something in your description.

So, could you please go into more details on what is going on and when it is going on in your situation. You say that you have submitted this issue as a "feature request". Have you ever asked Adobe Technical Service or any of the user community about this before. If so, what was the response that you got.

I am very interested in your comments and will be looking forward to reconciling what you see and I do not see in this case. By the way, what version of Premiere Elements are you using?

ATR

• 9. Re: render & stay at the same location
                          rawatts Level 1

ATR

You are correct in your reply to truthseeker (I did that years ago).

I will be clearer on the small anoyance I have and it may just be due to the way I edit sometimes. I believe this happens during auto save (which I like - probably because I am a reformed Studio user) and when you save a project manually.  The CTI stays were it is but I find myself at times at the other end of a long timeline (left the CTI behind) looking for something and when the save happens the screen moves back to have the CTI (after the save) in the center of the monitor when I was looking at something at the other end of the timeline that I was about to execute something and I have to go back and find that again.  I mostly edit my son's soccer team highlights to make a DVD where the timeline will contain 100's of short clips from over twenty tapes.

Bob

• 10. Re: render & stay at the same location
                            rawatts Level 1

Sorry, I forgot - I am currently using PE7 (8 is on the way) and CS3.

Bob

• 11. Re: render & stay at the same location
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              movement of the CTI in the Save process. I looked at that again after I saw your posted comments, and do not see that happening with Save or Save As of a project .prel for Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, or tryout 8.

ATR,

The last time that I saw similar was with Export with Pinnacle Studio 7 - 9. Then, the CTI would move through the Timeline - on Export.

In PrE and PrPro, Save/Save_As/Save_As_Copy does not move the CTI.

In PrPro, one has some extra choice on the behavior of the CTI and screen scrolling in Playback. Both it and PrE have the Play Timeline After Render checkbox. That was my answer at about reply 1, or 2 also.

I've not seen the described behavoir, though I only have PrE 4, so cannot comment on later versions. I do have experience with many versions of PrPro, and have not seen it there.

Hunt

• 12. Re: render & stay at the same location
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Now I understand what you are talking about. When I'm working down the Timeline, by habit I just click the Timeline Ruler, when I stop to study and the CTI jumps there. When a Save, or AutoSave is done, the CTI is right by my side.

This is kind of like me always hitting Ctrl+S, when I've done much of anything. That comes from years with Pinnacle Studio, which always found a way to crash, just as I finished some involved edit! Back then, I was thinking of having a hand surgeon alter my left hand's fingers, to perfectly form the pattern needed for Ctrl+S. Heck, I even do this in Photoshop, and in 2 decades, it's never crashed on me.

Thanks for the clarification,

Hunt

• 13. Re: render & stay at the same location
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob and Hunt,

Bob, in Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8, I cannot confirm what I think are your observations. Hunt, I do not think that you are talking about what Bob is talking about, but... Here is the blow by blow account of what I have been doing and observing.... We may need a referee in my corner.

a. Premiere Elements Timeline. CTI at 0 Timeline Time. Long video which requires scrolling to view the end. (Of course, I could just use the shortcut of the End Key (right keyboard) to get to the end of the video. But, main idea is =  My CTI is at 0 time. I scroll to the end of the video. The CTI is still at 0 time. An AutoSave occurs.The Timeline view does not change in the Monitor. And, the CTI is still way back at 0 time.

b. Another variation...My CTI is at 0 time. I scroll to the end of the video. I click on the ruler above the Timeline there at this end view. The CTI moves automatically to the end location that I clicked. The CTI stays there. An AutoSave occurs. The Timeline view does not change in the Monitor. And, the CTI is still at the location at the end of the video where I clicked.

Same thing happens whether I use a Save, Save As, or AutoSave.

Do we have any common ground on this or are we all talking about different things and missing something critical in each's observations?

ATR

• 14. Re: render & stay at the same location
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    a. Premiere Elements Timeline. CTI at 0 Timeline Time. Long video which requires scrolling to view the end. (Of course, I could just use the shortcut of the End Key (right keyboard) to get to the end of the video. But, main idea is =  My CTI is at 0 time. I scroll to the end of the video. The CTI is still at 0 time. An AutoSave occurs.The Timeline view does not change in the Monitor. And, the CTI is still way back at 0 time.

This is different, than my observations in PrE 4, and several versions of PrPro. Maybe it's changed in PrE 7 & 8.

Hunt

• 15. Re: render & stay at the same location
                                      rawatts Level 1

ATR

You are probably correct.  I could not reproduce the movement last night.  I know it has happened to me in the past and I will update if it happens again, but maybe it is solved.

• 16. Re: render & stay at the same location
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Thanks for the feedback. I thought that it was me and the lateness of the hour when I was trying unsuccessfully to replicate the effect.

I also will report back if this effect does pop up in any of the Premiere Elements versions that I am using.

ATR