10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 6:53 AM by Flannelman

What's up with RealPlayer support?

NatFast

I have installed Director 11.5 and downloaded the latest (and only available) version of realplayer (RealPlayerSP). Director does not recognize this new, latest RealPlayer version as a valid version and will not load media through the xtra.I guess they changed thier versioning scheme.

What is up with that?

Also, does anyone know of a method for hosting mjpeg through a cgi in Director? I have an Axis IP cam that I cannot figure out how to connect to the mjpeg feed. The url comes back as 4165(bad url) when I attempt to map the url to an image object or member, yet in a browser it shows the feed. There was a disscussion on this topic previously related to MIME type, file extensions and the nature of the 4165 error message as a catch all error bucket.

I have been using RTSP through Quicktime for these feeds as MPEG 4, but the quicktime xtra is rather tempermental when you have to support many simultaneous sprites and the compression artifacting is not a desirable feature. RealPlayer looked promissing and I was hoping that the RealPlayer xtra would be a bit better.

• 1. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
          Flannelman

I am observing the same message saying in order to play Real Video I need to install the RealPlayer and asks me to go to real.com to install it, so I did this (twice), reboot my machine, and I am still getting the message and Real Media no longer plays in Director. Prior to this I was at least getting the audio. Now nothing.  Come on Adobe, Real Media is touted as the only video format that will play inside of Shockwave 3D, and now it won't even play inside Director?? Indeed, what's up what that?

• 2. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Come on Adobe...

"Adobe" isn't here listening. If you want something addressed your best option is to either file a bug report, or place it in front of Allen Partridge - mailto:allenp@adobe.com - or both.

• 3. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
              BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

Open a support case web case and get a case number and post it back and I'll have somebody check it out.

• 4. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                NatFast Level 1

Hi,

Here is the case  #181209690

Here is the response I have gotten:

TS Case Details: 181209690
                10/06/200915:57:26
                Hi Nat,
                Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. I am responding in
                reference to your web reply posted on 10/05/2009. First of all let me
                thank you for choosing Adobe Products. As I understand your issue that
                your director 11.5 is not recognising the real player. I assure you that
                we will work together as a team and try to resolve this issue.
                In this case I would like to tell you that you that you need to try
                installing some older version of real player and make sure your windows
                vista is updated. You can get old versions of real player from some
                third party websites.

I hope this information is useful.
                If you require further assistance with this issue, please update your
                web case with complete details.
                For future reference use TS Case : "181209690" at Customer Support
                Portal : http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal.
                Please feel free to go to user to user forum on http://forums.adobe.com
                Or adobe website www.adobe.com/support
                Thank you <(>&<)> regards,
                Save this information for future reference.

Adobe Systems Incorporated
                Nikhil
                Adobe Technical Support
                ***Notes from Customer***
                10/06/200900:43:20
                Hello,

I uninstalled real player

I uninstalled director 11.5

I restarted

I installed realplayerSP Gold

I installed Director 11.5

I launched director

I inserted a new RealMedia object

Error Dialog:

RealPlayer Needed

To play correctly this shockwave movie requires real.com RealPlayer.
                Would you like to real.coms website and install the real player?

Obviously, Director 11.5 does not recognize RealPlayerSP Gold.

***Notes to Customer***
                10/05/200923:58:27
                Hi Nat,
                Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. I am responding in
                reference to your web request posted on 10/02/2009. First of all let me
                thank you for choosing Adobe Products. As I understand your issue that
                your director 11.5 is not recognising the real player. I assure you that
                we will work together as a team and try to resolve this issue.
                In this case I would like to tell you that you need to uninstall all the
                versions of real player from your system and then uninstall director
                11.5 from your system. After doing that restart your system and make a
                fresh install of real player and then director 11.5 and then director
                will surely recognise the real player

I hope this information is useful.
                If you require further assistance with this issue, please update your
                web case with complete details.
                For future reference use TS Case : "181209690" at Customer Support
                Portal : http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal.
                Please feel free to go to user to user forum on http://forums.adobe.com
                Or adobe website www.adobe.com/support
                Thank you <(>&<)> regards,
                Save this information for future reference.
                For a list of support phone numbers, please visit:
                http://www.adobe.com/special/phonenumbers/expert.html
                Adobe Systems Incorporated
                Nikhil
                Adobe Technical Support
                ***Notes from Customer***
                10/03/200901:39:38
                I have just updated my Realplayer installation to the latest and Director is
                not recognizing the new version of the realplayer playe
                r. Real no longer supports version 10.5, but only Realplayer SP is available
                at their web site.

How can I get Director to recoginze the latest Realplayer player?
                Browser: Firefox
                Operating System: Windows Vista
                Database type: UNKNOWN
                Application server: UNKNOWN

• 5. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                  NatFast Level 1

Update:

I uninstalled RealPlayerSP.
                  Downloaded RealPlayer11Gold
                  Attempted to install it. The installer is a stub that communicates with Real.com to download the support files at installation run time. It informed me that the previous version would not install and started the download for RealPlayerSP Gold. Which is the version I just uninstalled.

Does not look like there are previous versions on the web due to the Real dynamic installer.

• 6. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                    BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

I'll check this out and get back to you via the case, then we can post the conclusions back to the thread.

However, I'm in the first days of a global training tour, so it might take a few days.  But we'll figure it out..

• 7. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                      BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

I'm back from my training trip and of course now buried in escalations and investigations.  This is one of them, but I haven't gotten to it yet.   Just asking for patience.

• 9. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                        Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure that Bentley will respond - it seems he was one of those laid off today: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2383126

I don't know what that means for your issue with RealPlayer support. Try raising your ticket again and hope someone else at Adobe is motivated enough to pick it up.

• 10. Re: What's up with RealPlayer support?
                          Flannelman Level 1

It would be nice to have this one solved, but I will probably just upgrade to Director 11 and switch to .flv. or .mov using the full ChromLib 3D library. I have not tried this yet, but I am optimistic.