11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 1:29 AM by coocooc

Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a

TheTutor

Help!!   I have been using Pagemaker 7.0 for years, and I have never had a problem before.  It originally began with PM70 unable to load a certain group of files that were already in PM70 file format.  I got an error  message "can't process Pub links - insufficient memory" - relating to the ntdll.dll or "insufficient memory to load pages" (I have 4 GB memory) .  I uninstalled and reinstalled PM, but the problem remained the same.  Unable to fix it, I took my machine (XP Pro SP2) to the shop.  As a result, the tech  did the same things with Pagemaker, reinstalled Windows XP to try to correct the ntdll.dll file, crashed Windows completely, etc.  Now, I can not get PM70 to work at all.  The message I get now when I attempt to run the program  is "problem installing hyphenation module" 8205:32529, and "cannot initialize language dictionaries - insufficient memory to start learning pagemaker" 8208:8031.  (By the way, PM6.5 works fine).  Upgrading to InDesign is not an option because it will not convert all of my kerning, tracking, and paragraph formatting (these files consist over 1,000 pages that would have to be extensively edited).  However, PM70 will install and run without any problems on my old P4 XP Pro machine (never had PM70 installed previously). Anyone know what conflisct could be causing this problem?

• 1. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
          Level 4

Are you sure that the repair shop did not install SP3?

this maybe your problem.

• 2. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
            TheTutor Level 1

I am positive that SP3 was NOT installed. The only thing he changed was the video card - which was needed to get Windows XP PRO to install again.

• 3. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
              Level 4

I'm a Mac guy, I pick up tid bits of info about Windows that I pass along. There should be a windows person passing by shortly.

• 4. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not sure SP3 would break things that badly anyway. I'd try creating a new user and see if you can run it there.

Bob

• 5. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                  BigJohnD Level 3

There are certianly issues bewtween PM7 and WinXp SP3, both when installing and loading PM.  SP2 is generally OK.

Start  > Run and enter WinVer -> OK to check your version.

The error messages which are been thrown up are pretty obscure and suggest to me registry access issues.

Is this a stand alone or network PC, and do you have full 100% admin access?

Iechyd da! John
                  22:47 04/10/2009 BST

• 6. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                    TheTutor Level 1

The tech from the computer shop checked the registry and deleted PM from it before reinstalling - it made no difference.  I have full admin access, and it is intermittantly connected to a network - PC (P4 with XP Pro) to PC (dual core with XP Pro) with a cable.  PM7 works ok on the P4.

• 7. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                      BigJohnD Level 3

Maybe I didn't ask the questions clearly enough.  Remember I can not see your PC, so you have to be explicit.

What do you see when you click Start  > Run and enter WinVer -> OK to check your version?

Is this PC freestanding, i.e. not attached to a domain?  Has it ever been attached to acorporate domain?  Are all the accounts 100% local? Are there any domain inspired group policies active or remnants of them?  (I'm not worried about a home network)

Re-reading your postings, I am not clear when this error occurs.  Is it during the installation of PM? Or after have you installed PM OK and then the error appears on loading PM?  Or is it when opening any or a particular publication?  Do you get as far as setting the default Compose to printer as PS Printer and the dictionary/language for the default style?

Have you deleted all the PM configuration files? (search for PM*.cnf in [PMDIR])   PM7 will re-create them on the next loading of MP from the master file PM7Reg.TXT. (DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE)  However, you may wish to back it up and then delete it before looking at my next paragraph.

Did you install everything when installing PM, or did you let it carry out a default installation?  Have you carried out a custom re-install to ensure all the plug-ins, dictionaries and so on are installed?  And you are installing from a PM Setup CD, not from a remote drive of some sort?

My mind is not clear about this, but AFAICR, PM7.0.1a was never released in retail - it was a minor update from PM7.0.1.  It can be downloaded from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=34&platform=Windows

Hope this helps.

Here's Adobe's advice about how to remove traces of PM from the Registry from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328521.html.

There is a copy in the PM FAQs - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/502017?tstart=0

Remove PageMaker and certain components, then reinstall PageMaker.

To Remove PageMaker, manually remove certain remaining PageMaker components, and then reinstall PageMaker:

Disclaimer: This procedure involves editing the Windows registry. Adobe doesn't provide support for editing the registry, which contains critical system and application information. Make sure to back up the registry before editing it. For more information about the registry, see the Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

1. In Windows Explorer, move any personal files (such as publications, custom PPD files, user-dictionary files) from the PageMaker 7.0 or PM65 folder to another folder.

2. Remove PageMaker by doing one of the following:

-- In Windows 2000, NT, Me, or 98, choose Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, select Adobe PageMaker [version], and then click Add/Remove.

-- In Windows XP, choose Start > Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs, select Adobe PageMaker [version], and then click Remove.

-- Choose Start > Programs > Adobe > PageMaker [version]> Uninstall PageMaker [version].

3. Click Yes in the Confirm File Deletion dialog box.

4. Restart the computer.

5. In Windows Explorer, delete the PageMaker 7.0 or PM65 folder. Click Yes if Windows returns the following alerts:

-- "Are you sure you want to remove the folder '[folder name]' and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?"

-- "Renaming, moving, or deleting '[folder name]' could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?"

6. Remove PageMaker from the Start menu:

a. Right-click the Start button, and choose Open from the pop-up menu.

b. Double-click the Programs folder, and then double-click the Adobe folder.

c. Select PageMaker [version], and then choose File > Delete.

7. Open the Registry Editor:

a. Choose Start > Run.

b. Type regedit in the Opentext box, and then click OK.

8. Make a backup copy of the registry:

a. Choose Registry > Export Registry File.

b. Specify a location and name for the backup copy, and then click Save.

9. Edit the registry as follows:

-- Windows XP and 2000

a. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, click the plus sign (+) beside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.

b. Click the plus sign beside the SOFTWARE key.

c. Click the plus sign beside the Adobe key.

d. Select the Media Browser key. (If the Media Browser key does not exist, go to step 10.)

e. In the right pane, select PlugIns, and then choose Edit > Delete.

-- Windows NT, Me, 98, or 95

a. Choose Edit > Find in the Registry Editor, and type pagemaker in the Find What text box.

b. Click Find Next; for each entry found, choose Edit > Delete, and then click Yes in the Confirm Delete dialog box. Repeat this step until Windows returns the alert"Finished searching through the registry."

Note: Removing these registry entries affects all installed versions of PageMaker.

c. Choose Edit > Find, type pm70 or pm65 in the Find What text box, and then repeat step b.

10. Choose Registry > Exit, restart the computer, and then log in to Windows as a user with administrative rights. If you don't have administrative rights, contact your system administrator for assistance.

11. Reinstall PageMaker. For instructions, open the How_to_Install.wri file on the PageMaker 7.0 CD-ROM, or see pages 9-11 of the "Adobe PageMaker 6.5 Plus Getting Started Guide."

12. Restart the computer.

Iechyd da! John
                      20:12 05/10/2009 BST

• 8. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                        TheTutor Level 1

Boy am I surprised!  I got Pagemaker 7.0 to work.  It seems that the computer guy fixed the original ntdll.dll problem after all by putting in a new video card.  Then installation problems kept occurring with Pagemaker. I discovered leftover files in a duplicate directory that he had installed in a different one than that was originally there.  I deleted the duplicate files in the unused directory and now it works.  Pagemaker is even loading the files that showed up in the original errors.  Problem solved!!!

• 9. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                          BigJohnD Level 3

Lovely!  PM is innocent - it was dodgy vid cards and their drivers.

(Funnily enough, I spent an hour this afternoon trying figure out why images wouldn't display in MSPub2003 (I know, I know)  on one PC but would on another on the next desk - and that came down to vid cards and their drivers. It was the classic blame scenraio  - Intel make the chip, so it must be the driver or the software; Dell "customise" the driver to work reliably with their computer so "it can't be us" and MS say it's a hardware/driver issue.)

Happy PM'ing!

Iechyd da! John
                          21:10 05/10/2009 BST

• 10. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                            sebnew

I had the insufficient memory error, too. It helped me to deactivate some fonts to free up memory for PageMaker. Though my WinXP SP3 workstation has a lot of RAM, old software like PM seems to be unable to address more than a certain amount of it.

• 11. Re: Unable to run Pagemaker 7.01a
                              coocooc

TheTutor wrote:

Now, I can not get PM70 to work at all.  The message I get now when I attempt to run the program  is "problem installing hyphenation module" 8205:32529, and "cannot initialize language dictionaries - insufficient memory to start learning pagemaker" 8208:8031.  (By the way, PM6.5 works fine).

I got these error messages when starting PM6.5 on Win XP. A user with administrative rights or switching on "Windows 98" compatibility mode in the properties of the desktop link both worked to get PM6.5 running fine.

Hope this helps somebody else trying to open last millenium's files as we do. ;-)