8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 8:02 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Colorizing a Photo

Carey H

I was wondering, as an Illustrator newbie, is there a way to put a color on top of a photo. I have a skyline that I need to tint pink and I know how to do it in Photoshop (Edit, Fill) but cannot find something comparable in Illustrator. I've tried using the Appearance panel with a pink fill but the photo does not change. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Colorizing a Photo
          tman69 Level 3

IF the photo is a grayscale--select it with the direct select arrow and click on the color you desire from the color pallette--this will change the whole photo to the selected color.

IF you only want the sky colored--it's more involved.

• 2. Re: Colorizing a Photo
            Carey H Level 1

The photo is an RGB but I need to convert it to CMYK. Does this have to be desaturated in Photoshop first in order for this to work? I have tried a grayscale photo; I click on it with the direct selection tool and then change the fill in the Appearances palette but nothing happens.

• 3. Re: Colorizing a Photo
              tman69 Level 3

"I have tried a grayscale photo; I click on it with the direct selection tool and then change the fill in the Appearances palette but nothing happens"

for grayscale--do not apply color in the Appearances pallette!    use the hollow arrow---then use color pallette.

convert RGB to Cmyk in photoshop--make a clipping path around the skyline --remove the background so its transparent (all in Photoshop) then place photo in illustrator on top of a tinted rectangle.

• 4. Re: Colorizing a Photo
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am assuming you want a tinted image a one color look.

Bring the image into Photoshop in any form grayscale from photoshop is best.

With an Imported grayscale you just select it and the select your color, that is in CS 4.

If it is a CMYK or RGB image go to Edit>Edit Colors>Convert to Grayscale. Select the image then select the color!

Yes I know you need CMYK we're about to get to that.

Now in all of the above cases go to Edit>Edit Colors>Convert to CMYK.

Open the document info panel and fro the flyout select embedded images you will see it is now CMYK Type.

• 5. Re: Colorizing a Photo
                  carehand Level 1

I've tried both solutions and neither works. When I click on Edit and go to Edit Colors, everything is grayed out. I've tried placing both a grayscale and a CMYK image and neither wants to cooperate!

• 6. Re: Colorizing a Photo
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

LOL!

Carehand when placing the images in the image place dialog uncheck link aat the bottom left of the dialog.

Or go to the link panel and select thge image and from the flyout menu choose embed image.

Now try it the conversion.

If you think about if you had a featurew that actually converted the original when linked that would be disasterous in most cases
                    and proably too risky to make a feature.

• 7. Re: Colorizing a Photo
                      carehand Level 1

Okay, apparently I'm totally stupid. I did embed the image but when I click on the swatch, nothing happens. It shows that it's colorizing it but the color doesn't change. I tried it with a grayscale and a CMYK image. Too much handholding?? Don't shoot me, I'm just a newbie!

• 8. Re: Colorizing a Photo
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In order for it work you first select the image and the the color swatch.

My guess is that you either do not have CS 4 or you are not selecting the image.

Here is how you could do it in CS 3 or earlier.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Colorize.mov